Ferentz has lost this team already

Looked like execution to me when the Oline can't create holes, players are overthrown and WR's drop balls. Add turnovers and it sure seems to be an issue with execution.

No excuse for the playcalling or OL play, those did downright suck Saturday. That being said, execution is definitely a problem with this team. From this game alone we had:

Missed throws, including what would have been a TD to Vandeberg

Drops by open receivers at key moments, drive-killers if you will

The defense having a bad 1st half defending the pass (corrected in the 2nd half)

7 penalties for 42 yards (very uncharacteristic of a Ferentz team)

4(!) fumbles, losing two, both on our best drives of the second half (IMO at least 6 points lost here)

People mistake me for defending the coaches. They certainly shoulder some blame for the loss. But to put everything on them and to call for their jobs when you play like they did and had the mistakes above and others I'm sure I missed is just ignorant of how football works.

No excuse for the playcalling or OL play, those did downright suck Saturday. That being said, execution is definitely a problem with this team. From this game alone we had:

Missed throws, including what would have been a TD to Vandeberg

Drops by open receivers at key moments, drive-killers if you will

The defense having a bad 1st half defending the pass (corrected in the 2nd half)

7 penalties for 42 yards (very uncharacteristic of a Ferentz team)

4(!) fumbles, losing two, both on our best drives of the second half (IMO at least 6 points lost here)

People mistake me for defending the coaches. They certainly shoulder some blame for the loss. But to put everything on them and to call for their jobs when you play like they did and had the mistakes above and others I'm sure I missed is just ignorant of how football works.

I think the question remains (and this is what frustrates me about Jon not digging down another layer and always asking like fans are unreasonable for expecting more)

1) WHY 20 years into his tenure has Kirk still not figured out how to have a team actually ready to play?
2) Why do we continue to run an offense that relies on executing at like a 90% + level to give us a chance to win? If we're a po boy developmental program, why do we run schemes that rely on near perfection?

I think the question remains (and this is what frustrates me about Jon not digging down another layer and always asking like fans are unreasonable for expecting more)

1) WHY 20 years into his tenure has Kirk still not figured out how to have a team actually ready to play?
2) Why do we continue to run an offense that relies on executing at like a 90% + level to give us a chance to win? If we're a po boy developmental program, why do we run schemes that rely on near perfection?
1) I'd argue that more often than not, they are ready to play. The game of football is a petty bitch, in that all it takes is one little screw up and you're watching a ball carrier race to the endzone, or your QB is peeling himself off of the turf. The fact that, minus a couple of years where the roster was depleted, one of the mainstays of the program has been good defense, which speaks to the level of discipline and detail orientation pushed by Ferentz.

2) Because that's what kind of offense you run when you can't rely on bringing in 4 and 5 star athletes every season. Something that relies on execution rather than pure athletic talent. It's the same reason Army, Navy, and Air Force run the triple option, as it's a system that, while it requires great discipline to run, it works beautifully when run well. Recruiting is another thing entirely, and while I'd love to get 4 and 5 stars every year, that's just not going to happen for Iowa, unless we pull an Alabama type run out of our asses. Look at Nebraska. They were legitimately dominant in the 70's 80's and 90's. But, now that recruiting is a level playing field and they can't stock up on an endless supply of walk-ons, they're struggling, and likely will never return to that level.

1.) Iowa almost always shows up ready to play - they lost the game by a touchdown, on the road with a true soph making his 2nd road start ever. Winning more games then you lose routinely means, your ready to play more times then you are not.

2.) every team in the country runs an offense that requires 90%+ level to of execution to win. You either execute it or you don't and you over come or your don't. Play calling wasn't the problem. We went deep, a lot. We ran plays for our TE and our WR's a lot. The running game is more perplexing but the line has had injuries and are starting a lot of mix's that are either young or out of position.

3.) Iowa was a road dog in this game, I don't get the melt down...other teams in the country are trying to win ball games too.

3.) Iowa was a road dog in this game, I don't get the melt down...other teams in the country are trying to win ball games too.
This is my issue with this board. If we lose to Illinois next week, who is a dogshit program, then yes, it's time to abandon ship.

But we didn't lose to a crap team, we lost to Michigan State, who is just 2 years removed from playing in the Playoff, coming off a run of 3 straight 11+ win seasons as well as being one of the best Big Ten program of the 2010s. In addition, Iowa vs MSU is ALWAYS a tight game, and usually low scoring.

This is my issue with this board. If we lose to Illinois next week, who is a dogshit program, then yes, it's time to abandon ship.

But we didn't lose to a crap team, we lost to Michigan State, who is just 2 years removed from playing in the Playoff, coming off a run of 3 straight 11+ win seasons as well as being one of the best Big Ten program of the 2010s. In addition, Iowa vs MSU is ALWAYS a tight game, and usually low scoring.

It was a tough, disappointing loss and a HUGE missed opportunity .... but not one that spells the doom that is running rampant on this board IMO.

So just so I'm clear, if we lose to Illinois I have your permission to be upset? I just want to make sure.
I don't know how you could have made that conclusion from what I typed. Be upset now if you want to. Throw chairs, scream, call for Ferentz's public execution, it doesn't matter to me. Just know that it makes you look like an ass.

1.) Iowa almost always shows up ready to play - they lost the game by a touchdown, on the road with a true soph making his 2nd road start ever. Winning more games then you lose routinely means, your ready to play more times then you are not.

2.) every team in the country runs an offense that requires 90%+ level to of execution to win. You either execute it or you don't and you over come or your don't. Play calling wasn't the problem. We went deep, a lot. We ran plays for our TE and our WR's a lot. The running game is more perplexing but the line has had injuries and are starting a lot of mix's that are either young or out of position.

Exactly. Lost by 7 with two fumbles in our own territory, one within the 10. I don't get the melt down.

So just so I'm clear, if we lose to Illinois I have your permission to be upset? I just want to make sure.

I'm upset over losing to MSU ....just not end of the world, scorched earth mad. Why? Because we were road dogs in a season we weren't expected to compete for the West title. Had we won, I'd be elated. Lose, and well, that's pretty much what everyone in the country expected outside of 30 dudes on Hawkeye Nation. If we lose to Illinois I will be on here calling for heads to roll, but losing at MSU? That can happen every season without too much of a fuss - they have proven to be a competent program for a while now.

This is a small reason for the melt-down, we just let Michigan State get out of the pool that they been drowning in for the last two seasons. Why is this important? We directly compete with Michigan State going after Michigan leftovers in recruiting. When a program is struggling, you have to keep your feet on their head. Watch Michigan State win some battles we were winning in recruiting. If you watched Dantonio he was all business. Sometimes a loss is more than a loss.

Michigan State will be lucky to make a bowl. Iowa will be lucky to win another game.
Assuming that Michigan State loses to Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State as expected they could win all their other games. That would put them at 7-8 wins.

Hawks could have/should have beaten Michigan State. It was a road loss in the Big Ten. They will get better and there are plenty of winnable games left on the schedule

Nobody is saying that execution isn't a problem but folks pretend that it's the only problem. Always blaming the players first gets old.

So let's get this straight....
  1. We have an inexperienced quarterback who is having issues throwing the deep ball.
  2. We have, for the most part, an inexperienced receiver corps who are still learning to run routes properly, understand why they must run the route they run and are having issues breaking free for clean receptions.
  3. We have an excellent running back, a very good running back who is currently injured and a crop of inexperienced running backs.
That tells me that defenses are stacking the box so that our quarterback is forced to throw the deep ball; and so far this tactic is really working as there is little to no running room and the quarterback isn't putting up great stats.

Look, I get it. People are frustrated with what they seem to think are the "same old same old" plays and play calling. People are frustrated that our 5 offensive linemen and 1 fullback can't seem to block the 8 or 9 defensive players effectively on run plays.

Blame can be spread around like manure - and with the record we have it will only sow the seeds of discontent.