Fellow Forum Posters

Iowa is fortunate that they played well for 3/4 of the year, they will back into the NCAA. I wouldn't place a $5 bet on Iowa being able to beat ANY team in the B1G conference, let alone make a run. They are playing worse than an NIT team right now. That said, it's been said a million times on here, all that matters is the post season. If Iowa suddenly wakes up and makes a run ( i wouldn't bet on it, but it happens) - no one gives a shit about how this regular season ended. That's not a positive outlook, nor would I bet on it happening, in fact, ask me now and I would say Iowa doesn't get another W again this year. But, it's the truth if that happens. Go on a tear, play on Sunday in the B1G tournament or go on a tear and get to the sweet 16 and no one cares anymore about all these "issues" and we'll be talking about how high this team is ranked next pre-season. It's the ups and downs of a long year. There's no way to NOT be disappointed with how this team finished, but it's over and now there are 2 new seasons that are still yet to played where everyone is still undefeated.

I look at the season in totality, especially in basketball. You have hot stretches, cold stretches, etc. Overall they outperformed what I thought they could be coming into the year. The only reasons my expecations were that low though was because of how pathetic Iowa was last year. Looking at it objectively this team is a full year behind what they should be. By that I mean what Iowa did this year, they should have done last year. What they did this year should have progressed then passed that, and it didn't. They are still overall behind where they should be, and the problem is I don't see Fran being able to progress the program passed where they are currently.

You act like it was some destiny shit and there’s nothing Iowa could have done. How about not having CMC on the floor in crutch time? What about a timeout at the end of OT to draw up a play? Switch defenders on Watson?

The whole “that’s basketball” ideology is garbage.
They put Dailey on Watson

Yeah, I am not blaming the refs at all. Again, Nebraska took advantage to the way the game was called and Iowa just laid down and took it. Iowa lost that game. That said, he was being hammered both during the inbounding and then immediately after. He also got the fouls called- but - like for instance - right before the inbound pass was stolen, the reason Jordan wasn't ready for the pass is that he was basically picking himself up off the floor from being leveled and no call before that. One spot, there was an inadvertent horn that sounded, right after Iowa got the ball in to Connor, who was being fouled like crazy and then Iowa had to re-set up - in a play where there was a ton of more fouling.

Our guards couldn't match the intensity or physical play that Nebraska had down the stretch and they folded. Iowa is soft - no other word to describe it.

Sometimes Garza seems to thrive in chaos. The rest not so much. Maybe K

Yeah, I am not blaming the refs at all. Again, Nebraska took advantage to the way the game was called and Iowa just laid down and took it. Iowa lost that game. That said, he was being hammered both during the inbounding and then immediately after. He also got the fouls called- but - like for instance - right before the inbound pass was stolen, the reason Jordan wasn't ready for the pass is that he was basically picking himself up off the floor from being leveled and no call before that. One spot, there was an inadvertent horn that sounded, right after Iowa got the ball in to Connor, who was being fouled like crazy and then Iowa had to re-set up - in a play where there was a ton of more fouling.

Our guards couldn't match the intensity or physical play that Nebraska had down the stretch and they folded. Iowa is soft - no other word to describe it.
I blame the refs...or the Big 10 if it’s their guidance. The last half of the conference season’s officiating has allowed way too much physical play. I’m talking 70 games not just the 10 involving Iowa.

Don’t be surprised if a lot of Big 10 players are sitting on the bench with foul trouble starting a week from Thursday...and some of those teams exit the NCAA sooner than expected. I will be very interested to see how many FTs we shoot in our NCAA game(s).

Haven't watched a lot of games this year but there are some consistent issues I have seen from the start of the season to the game yesterday: 1) there is way to much dribbling and most of the dribbling isn't going anywhere just side to side at the top of the key 2) the passes are sloppy and lazy 3) Cook is a lazy player, his cuts are half speed and his footwork is bad which gets him out of position many times 4) Fran is not a good game coach. I am not around the program to know how he is with practices and Xs and Os but his reaction to what is going on during the game is pretty bad.

Unfortunately many of these things I have laid out are trends throughout College Basketball which is why I don't watch much anymore. Plus I do not care for the style of play the hawk plays anymore. I think we are lucky if they played good defense 50% of the games. Yesterday's D was really embarrasing

I blame the refs...or the Big 10 if it’s their guidance. The last half of the conference season’s officiating has allowed way too much physical play. I’m talking 70 games not just the 10 involving Iowa.

Don’t be surprised if a lot of Big 10 players are sitting on the bench with foul trouble starting a week from Thursday...and some of those teams exit the NCAA sooner than expected. I will be very interested to see how many FTs we shoot in our NCAA game(s).

I don't blame the refs cause it's a cop out - Iowa could have played some better D there to help themselves. But it was a fucking sham and IMO, it's a wonder how any Iowa coach isn't having to be forcibly removed from every game if that craps allowed. I am a pretty calm guy and I was ashamed of some of the things I was yelling during those last 3 minutes. It was a total screw job and the game wasn't called like it had been the previous 37 minutes. I am sure Iowa did something similar to Northwestern when they did their thing a few weeks - . There were calls that went the other way as well against Nebraska. I don't blame the refs, but they played their part. I blame Iowa for not knowing how to job and handle it at this point in the year - that's gotta be coached too. If you know they are going to allow it - you need to be better prepared for that type of scenario.

I look at the season in totality, especially in basketball. You have hot stretches, cold stretches, etc. Overall they outperformed what I thought they could be coming into the year. The only reasons my expecations were that low though was because of how pathetic Iowa was last year. Looking at it objectively this team is a full year behind what they should be. By that I mean what Iowa did this year, they should have done last year. What they did this year should have progressed then passed that, and it didn't. They are still overall behind where they should be, and the problem is I don't see Fran being able to progress the program passed where they are currently.
If Joe T. is the PG we hope I think we see progress next year beyond what we have the last 9 years. If he’s a bust then we are likely an NCAA team but not a whole lot different than this one.

Nunge, Pemsl, Patrick and Garza are also wildcards. I included Garza because he works his tail off. Give him a healthy offseason to work on his body, defense, etc. and he could be much improved...which means dominant.

If Joe T. is the PG we hope I think we see progress next year beyond what we have the last 9 years. If he’s a bust then we are likely an NCAA team but not a whole lot different than this one.

Nunge, Pemsl, Patrick and Garza are also wildcards. I included Garza because he works his tail off. Give him a healthy offseason to work on his body, defense, etc. and he could be much improved...which means dominant.

Joe T. Is gonna be a non factor next year. No way he plays before both Jordan and Connor. I know Fran likes to play everyone, but 3 PG?? No way that happens.

Every time they came down and chucked up a 3, I was like good, no way that bullshit is going in. Yet every time that shot dropped for them. Those were forced, crappy 3's and they made every one of them. They made 4 lucky ass 3's in a row. I thought the play that really killed us is Jordan letting that piss ant steal the inbound pass and then they got the dunk. Besdies that play, we protected the ball, and made 9 out of 10 free throws. I mean it took them making 4 consecutive 3's, getting a steal and a basket to cut that 5-6 point lead we had.

Overall big picture, what a pathetic, pathetic loss. Not that we blew the lead at the end, but how did we NOT have a 20 point lead against a team that in essence had 4 legit players, and 2 of them fouled out? They were playing with complete and total scrubs at the end and basically had two capable players on the floor for the overtime in Palmer and Watson.

This is the team I thought we were coming into the season. A team that was barely a NIT team, and had no chance of making the NCAA's. Thank God they played like a NCAA team for 3/4 of the season and will still make the NCAA tournament, but what a shit show this has been to finish out the season.

That's pretty much how I saw it all too to a T. I mean WTF can you do? 2 or 3 of those 3s ok but 4 in a row just like they did were nuts. A couple were pretty deep and off the dribble. That one turnover you mentioned to me was it. 4 point swing if JBo doesn't lose it to him and gets fouled instead. Ball game right there. Plus the extra time off the clock at that point in the game with them bringing up full court. Their were other what 'ifs' as well as every close game down the stretch has. But to me that was the most obvious...

Joe T. Is gonna be a non factor next year. No way he plays before both Jordan and Connor. I know Fran likes to play everyone, but 3 PG?? No way that happens.
Hear me out. Fran has played the better freshman over the veteran repeatedly at Iowa. If Joe T. is that good I think he plays a lot of PG minutes. Connor backs him up. JB plays a lot of shooting guard. If Moss moves on JB could start at SG.

It kinda depends on Moss... I mean Iowa could go small and play Joe T and JBo at the same time some. If Moss is gone that's an even more likely thing to see some of. But even with him on the team next yr I wouldn't rule it out. Now I'm not saying you'll see 25 mins of it a game or anything but Fran has had some odd lineups out there before so nothing would surprise me

Hear me out. Fran has played the better freshman over the veteran repeatedly at Iowa. If Joe T. is that good I think he plays a lot of PG minutes. Connor backs him up. JB plays a lot of shooting guard. If Moss moves on JB could start at SG.

Ok I get what you're saying. Still think it's a big long shot that Joe is ready to contribute right away. Maybe the obligatory 5 minutes in the few games you are allowed to not lose eligibility.

Fran wont play Connor over someone considerably better than him. Unless Joe T is considerably better, it really won't matter. We need him to be so good that Fran has no choice but to play him over Connor.

Too many what ifs, we will have a long summer to see what shakes out, if anyone transfers, Cook goes pro, etc.

Taking into account last year's team and the fact that the B1G might be the toughest conference in the country, I'd say Iowa had a "tremendous" year.

Iowa is fortunate that they played well for 3/4 of the year, they will back into the NCAA. I wouldn't place a $5 bet on Iowa being able to beat ANY team in the B1G conference, let alone make a run. They are playing worse than an NIT team right now. That said, it's been said a million times on here, all that matters is the post season. If Iowa suddenly wakes up and makes a run ( i wouldn't bet on it, but it happens) - no one gives a shit about how this regular season ended. That's not a positive outlook, nor would I bet on it happening, in fact, ask me now and I would say Iowa doesn't get another W again this year. But, it's the truth if that happens. Go on a tear, play on Sunday in the B1G tournament or go on a tear and get to the sweet 16 and no one cares anymore about all these "issues" and we'll be talking about how high this team is ranked next pre-season. It's the ups and downs of a long year. There's no way to NOT be disappointed with how this team finished, but it's over and now there are 2 new seasons that are still yet to played where everyone is still undefeated.

Not playing a B1G team will be a vast relief for everyone in the conference playing in the postseason

Taking into account last year's team and the fact that the B1G might be the toughest conference in the country, I'd say Iowa had a "tremendous" year.

That's fine spin doctoring. Yet somehow I find it feeling tremendously un-tremendous. With a squad full of upperclassmen, this season has turned into the barely keeping our heads above water. The talent that we have is the best it's been under Fran and the results are lack luster to say the least. I'm not one bit satisfied. Need a deep NCAA run now to salvage respect for this season.

Latest posts