FBI Trial

A lot of these defendants seem to be arguing that although they broke a ton of NCAA rules, they didn't do anything illegal. Its kind of hilarious to me.

The NCAA and Mark Emmert have no reason to punish these schools. The NCCA and the schools profit off the NCAA basketball tournament, so putting these teams on probation will only hurt their bottom line. Imagine how bad of a ratings hit the NCAA tournament would take if you banned Arizona, Kansas, and Louisville. There's literally zero incentive for enforcement.

Either every school should cheat and make the whole thing a ridiculous fiasco where people are openly laughing at the NCAA rules, or people should stop watching college basketball altogether. That's the only way real change will occur.

A lot of these defendants seem to be arguing that although they broke a ton of NCAA rules, they didn't do anything illegal. Its kind of hilarious to me.

The NCAA and Mark Emmert have no reason to punish these schools. The NCCA and the schools profit off the NCAA basketball tournament, so putting these teams on probation will only hurt their bottom line. Imagine how bad of a ratings hit the NCAA tournament would take if you banned Arizona, Kansas, and Louisville. There's literally zero incentive for enforcement.

Either every school should cheat and make the whole thing a ridiculous fiasco where people are openly laughing at the NCAA rules, or people should stop watching college basketball altogether. That's the only way real change will occur.
Yeah it's been a joke for years. It's just a they know that we know thing and unless there's a change in how the consumers continue buying tickets and watching games the NCAA has no incentive at all to do anything different. They'll occasionally slap a team on the wrist with a feather for PR sake but as you said AZ, Kansas, UNC, and the handful of other blue bloods are just gonna keep doing what they do. Paying runners, working through boosters so they can maintain their plausible deniability and around and around it goes..

That is actually a very good legal argument because the feds are arguing because you broke NCAA rules you committed a federal fraud against the school. It is a novel argument that I don't believe has been used before. So defendants are saying, "hey, breaking NCAA rules is not a federal crime and all these schools know what is going on so even if it was a crime how could it be a fraud when they are benefiting from getting a certain player?"

That is actually a very good legal argument because the feds are arguing because you broke NCAA rules you committed a federal fraud against the school. It is a novel argument that I don't believe has been used before. So defendants are saying, "hey, breaking NCAA rules is not a federal crime and all these schools know what is going on so even if it was a crime how could it be a fraud when they are benefiting from getting a certain player?"
Exactly... I bet if this ever got this far into the system a similar argument would be brought as your suggesting for sure. How can the NCAA be complaining about something that they are pretty much enabling not to mention benefiting from as you mentioned... The NCAA don't want to clean it up they want it to not be brought to light. That's what they really want.

Honestly, its rampant but only an idiot thinks "everyone" is doing it too. Both statements can be true. There are likely just as many coaches still trying to do things above board. I'm confident in that. At the same time, college hoops is so broken and now obviously unfair as far as level playing field (what is fair in today's current college sports landscape?) that I think the whole thing needs re-evaluated and fixed... it's just too big of a job for the NCAA to over see and they likely don't want to hurt their pockets enough to do it.
I've tried fruitlessly to convince friends or coworkers of this. There are plenty of schools that are not cheating at any given time. Its not all or nothing.

I've tried fruitlessly to convince friends or coworkers of this. There are plenty of schools that are not cheating at any given time. Its not all or nothing.
Of course there are teams that aren't cheating. Look at the bottom 3 or 4 teams in every major conference. That's where you'll find the teams that are "doing it the right way." Iowa is one of those teams.

Kansas and Billy Self could be in deep Shasta.

Details will surface in Thursday’s testimony that Self had direct knowledge of payments.

This time is different for the NCAA, as the FBI is in Control of this rodeo.

Bill Self sez De Sousa to be withheld from competition due to an “eligibility review”.

Guess the FBI trials are having an impact.

Latest posts