Farniok and Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 2016 season is going to be real critical for the 2017 class. If this past season turns out to be a fluke, and we cannot at the very least compete for the division title....don't be shocked to see some of the big recruits jump.

We talk about how Iowa was 12-2, but the Hawks took a ton of hits throughout the year. Every media outlet called us fake, weak schedule..etc.....and then the Rose Bowl happened and that didn't help the perception.

It's important that we continue to win. Not saying we have to win 12 straight again, but to have a chance and show some spark this year.

I mean they had one losing season last year in which 5 of their losses came by a combined 13 points, and beat a pretty solid program in UCLA and the only B1G team to beat Michigan St. NOT defending them by any means but does no one remember when we went 4-8 three years ago? Michigan 5-7 last year? It's not like Nebraska is gonna go 6-7 every year. It happens everywhere.

If we expect them to be 6-7 every year we're getting our hopes a little high....As much as I wish that would happen, it's not going to.

We've never been able to out-recruit the Nebraska's, Michigan's, Penn State's, Ohio State's, Michigan State's or Wisconsin really. That's the way Iowa football works. We run on low to mid-level 3-star prospects and turn some of them into NFL caliber prospects.

You keep your facts off this board! Lol. Some people have their heads in sand

So, a kid who was never likely to commit, didn't commit....

earth shattering.

Sure, woulda been great to get a couple higher ranked OL recruits. But why are people suddenly acting like Farniok was ours to lose and now all of the sudden we need to be more aggressive. Everything i've read is he was always leaning to nebby and his mom was pro nebby.

I've made a grave mistake in following recruiting more this year...huge mistake on my part. It's brutal.

All of this is spot on EXCEPT Iowa has had success recruiting against WI and MSU in the past. They should have more success vs NE going forward now that there isn't a glaring facilities gap. Iowa will never be able to recruit aganist OSU, MI or PSU for neutral recruits.

Yeah for sure that facilities upgrade was huge for recruiting going forward. I don't think anyone expects us to compete for OSU, Mich, PSU for recruits year in year out. I know I don't. But going forward theres no reason we can't battle WI, NE, MN, even MSU for recruits

Can't recruit with MSU and Wisconsin? Must have started watching college football in the last 5 years or so.

Yeah for sure that facilities upgrade was huge for recruiting going forward. I don't think anyone expects us to compete for OSU, Mich, PSU for recruits year in year out. I know I don't. But going forward theres no reason we can't battle WI, NE, MN, even MSU for recruits

we do.

So, a kid who was never likely to commit, didn't commit....

earth shattering.

Sure, woulda been great to get a couple higher ranked OL recruits. But why are people suddenly acting like Farniok was ours to lose and now all of the sudden we need to be more aggressive. Everything i've read is he was always leaning to nebby and his mom was pro nebby.

I've made a grave mistake in following recruiting more this year...huge mistake on my part. It's brutal.

If people follow recruiting on 247sports, like myself, I think some people felt that we may have taken the lead for Farniok after his visit in IC. I know mom was always pro-nebraska. But she said some really good things about Ferentz and co. in interviews. One of the head 247 sports guys made a "crystal ball prediction" for Iowa too that gave some people hope (including myself).

I for one am guilty for getting my hopes up. But it looks like we are getting Alaric Jackson now that he just cancelled his weekend visit to Nebraska.

Okay dude, you keep telling yourself that. All I said is how I'm frustrated that we can't land 4-star caliber recruits for this class after going 12-2, and that Ferentz needs to be more aggressive on the recruiting trail. I haven't been "negative" at all, unless you are just the most sensitive person in the world. I've stated countless times how much I love this class and how awesome 2017 is starting.

As for the "positivity" towards other schools, I'm not sure what you're referring to.....the fact that I said I don't think Nebraska will go 5-7 every year for the next decade? Is that "positivity" to you? I'm sorry, I consider it just being a person with common sense. Some people on here apparently haven't heard of that. Or that I said I admired Wisconsin's ability to recruit nationally? Is that what you're referring to? I would also consider that common sense. Schools like Iowa should be able to recruit nationally, instead of the same 5 states every year. Because I say something good about another school, it doesn't mean I'm a f*cking fan of them, for god's sake. Get over yourself.

Not everything is always dandelions and rainbows as an Iowa fan, I apologize for being maybe a little too judgmental of this staff at times, but I'm also realistic and don't think that we do enough on the recruiting trail. Sorry if that offends you......Here's an idea, don't reply.

You say you're frustrated that we can't land 4 star caliber players but it sounds more like you're frustrated that we can't land players that are ranked as 4 stars. We land 2 and 3 star players all the time that are 4 star caliber players.

People like to look at guys like Bob Sanders and Robert Gallery and say how good the staff is at developing players. Those guys were destined to be studs all along. They just weren't ranked high coming out of high school.

And I hate the Bob Sanders arguement. I will always get more excited about landing a 4 star because the odds of him being good is higher . But I will never get down on landing a low ranked guy because there is no way for me to know if he is actually a 4 star caliber player. The only thing I don't like is the guys who are last minute pickups because we need to fill the class. Funny thing is we have done really well with those guys tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.