ESPN down grades all 5 Iowa recruits

herbyhawk

Banned
Woodbury from a score of 95 to a 94 just in at #50 4* and 7th best center to 11th
Gesell from a score of 93 to 92 4*from 11th best pg to the 15th best pg
Ingram from a score of 89 to 88 and from a 3* to a 2* and 37th best sg to the 52nd best
Meyer from a score of 90 to a score of 87 and 3* to 2*
Clemmons from a score of 85 to a score of 82 stayed the same a 2*

not surprised one bit considering they did not sign with a elite school, the biggest surprise is that Woobbury didn't drop out of the Top 50, and Gesell stayed in the top 100, i said a long time ago they would drop because who they signed with, if Woodbury had signed with UNC he would have been elevated to a 5* and been a lock for the McD AA game

Last edited:
Does ESPN hate B10 basketball like it hates B10 football? Or do you think ths is just an anti-Iowa thing?

I would say it has more to do with how they are performing so far this season. ISU is not an elite school, but Niang is playing real well. And he went from 98 to .............

68!

So you can move up the rankings if you play well. Its a nice conspiracy theory though.

Also, what does it matter? Are these players now worse because of the new rankings?

I would say it has more to do with how they are performing so far this season. ISU is not an elite school, but Niang is playing real well. And he went from 98 to .............

68!

So you can move up the rankings if you play well. Its a nice conspiracy theory though.

Also, what does it matter? Are these players now worse because of the new rankings?

hmmmm that seems like a definite move down, but maybe my math isn't right. No way anyone would drop 30 points unless the had double amputation at the knee and lost about 2 feet of height.

Yes, ESPN hates the B1G, mostly because of the B1G network. We will now ALWAYS get the shaft from them, unless we are OSU.

That's an amazing recruiting service that they're able to be so discreet as to move some of the guys down 1 point and others 3, and their rankings moved so much in the span of 3 months. I'd love to see their criteria for rating these kids. Do you think the first question is "What school are they being recruited by or did they sign with?"

This is precisely why, past the first 5 or so players each year, it's all subjective BS for the rest, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

HF, I think he went from an overall rank of 98th best in the country to 68th. The answer as to why he went up while all the Iowa recruits went down is the mayor has all those NBA GM's on speed dial.

I seriously doubt ESPN is doing any real evaluations on these kids outside of the AAU circuit. Since that isn't going on during the school year, I think they just move the kids to fit their preconceived values of the schools they have selected.

Last edited:
Clemmons is now rated the 3rd best player in the state of Michigan up from 5th. this from Michigan people,not to mention he is the #1 pg in their state ahead of Ray Lee, Who ESPN rates higher, and Lee is rated as the 17th best player in state. Meyer unless you didn't see the latest video of him is also now one of the top 5 players in the state of Georgia, by Georgia people. both are having outstanding seasons.
Gesell is on pace to be the 1st player in Nebraska to win the State Gatorade player of the year 3 straight seasons, and more than likely be named Mr. BB in Nebbraska, not even Woolridge accomplished this. and you have to consider his performance in Arizona where avg 33 ppg for the tourney and drew comparisons to Mike Bibby a former star from Arizona, i have not heard much on Ingram but I did here he shut down Harris the 5* MSU recruit. but got into foul trouble and when he went out Harris went off, Ingram still scored 19pts in 19 minutes of playing time, the 2nd time they met Ingram scored 28 pts.
Woodbury as little help on his team and constantly faces triple team and appears to be the center of attention for referees whistles.
even a 7' will struggle against triple teams

there is no indication they are playing badly, in fact other than Woodbury where his #'s are about the same as last year all the other have increased their #'s in all area's.
its not about individual ranking that i am worried about but it how the outside percieve them, and they really see is the ranking and stars, this can and will affect future recruiting

what will affect future recruiting is how they play when they get here. if fran does with them what he has done with our lower rated recruits we will be seeing similar recruiting classes. * are less valuable than the paper i wipe my butt with. when these 5 perform in the b10 that is the true test and showcase of talent. not an arbitrary * rating.

HF, I think he went from an overall rank of 98th best in the country to 68th. The answer as to why he went up while all the Iowa recruits went down is the mayor has all those NBA GM's on speed dial.

I seriously doubt ESPN is doing any real evaluations on these kids outside of the AAU circuit. Since that isn't going on during the school year, I think they just move the kids to fit their preconceived values of the schools they have selected.

Yep, there is no way espn is watching so many recruits highschool games.

At best it could be based on box scores.

this rating makes no difference at all . its just a number that has nothing to do with how the player would play for your school.

Good, I hope they down grade them all to 2*. Then that keeps other schools from salivating over our recruiting classes. The only Hawkeye fans it ticks off are the star gazers.

their overall team ranking dropped as well, which gets your attention quicker; a Top 20 Nationally Ranked Class or a Top 30 class? the top 20 class gets the Media attention especially with Fran finishing his 2nd season after 2 consecutive 20 loss seasons, to the local it may not mean much, but to the talking head its means a whole lot more, this is what gets recruits attention, it is what the kids do on the court that get the top recruits interest up to maybe take a harder look at, and perhaps help make it easier to sign them

Latest posts