ESPN article on Wegher with Ferentz Quotes

I just read this as well, you beat me to it. lol. But yeah that is not optimistic at all. I think Wegher is done for.

I hope this is all because he believes Jewell is going to emerge as the clear #1 guy early and the rumored 'personal reasons' are more of a convenient excuse rather than the reason he is sitting out. At any rate I'm getting sick of the soap opera. It's approaching Favre-like intensity at this point.

I don't believe we'll be seeing him this year. I wish him the best and I'm glad he decided to leave when he did so the team could prepare to play without him and not sometime in early September...say goodbye to the Wegher Bomb:(

I hope he comes back but if he doesn't then itll be Brandon who? I don't care about players that aren't hawkeyes. Lets go forward with the men who are proud to put on the black and gold.

Well at least Ferentz is keepin it real. If he really just doesnt want to play because he thinks he wont be the starter that's just weak IMO. There are plenty of dudes that would be killing' to get in his position right now. We have ARob who was basically unheard of coming out of high school and now hes doing big things, Wegher has all this potential but no heart it seems. Its sad if you ask me.

Well at least Ferentz is keepin it real. If he really just doesnt want to play because he thinks he wont be the starter that's just weak IMO. There are plenty of dudes that would be killing' to get in his position right now. We have ARob who was basically unheard of coming out of high school and now hes doing big things, Wegher has all this potential but no heart it seems. Its sad if you ask me.

What have you heard that leads you to that conclusion? Nothing in this article or any previous ones. Other than Kaldenburg stating such (BW is not B10 caliber), who for some reason is bitter towards BW, I have heard nothing that leads me towards that being the reason he is not on the team at this time. I've heard another speculation, but not yours.

I'm as sick of this discussion as many are- but to question Wegher's heart right now is pretty shallow and off base.

I'm as sick of this discussion as many are- but to question Wegher's heart right now is pretty shallow and off base.

Agreed. If he were leaving for no good reason, I don't see why Ferentz would put out an open-ended invitation to return. That tells me that what he's dealing with is pretty serious (I won't bother speculating on the specifics), and Ferentz clearly feels that Wegher could use the space.

I still am not sold on the idea that this is the end of Wegher in a Hawkeye uniform. If he's not back next year, then I'll let go of the possibility of a return. Until then, he's still on the team. And after the things he did for us last year, he's always going to be a Hawkeye in my book. Shame on any of you who feel compelled to p*ss on him now.

Based on what? He's still on the roster, still in school, and still on scholarship. Maybe he'll red-shirt, sort out whatever he's got going on, and come back next season.

How often do you see someone who was probably going to see very, very limited time as a running back, with talent coming in behind him, another decent running back with 3 years left as a Hawkeye (Robinson) and then two years of talent ahead of him (Jewel), redshirt as sophomore, not practce during fall camp and then come back the next year.

I guess anything is possible.

I have a friend in Iowa City brief me on some stuff tonight.

That said, I too, doubt he will return to the team this year. After he has had time to work through it and stay in school it may be in his best interest to return to the team next year. Stay in school, get a degree and see if he can make it to the NFL. Maybe use these two things as 4 year goals.

My opinion given, Brandon has to do what's best for Brandon.

How often do you see someone who was probably going to see very, very limited time as a running back, with talent coming in behind him, another decent running back with 3 years left as a Hawkeye (Robinson) and then two years of talent ahead of him (Jewel), redshirt as sophomore, not practce during fall camp and then come back the next year.

How often do we see Kaldenberg NOT marginalize, downgrade, or otherwise dismiss Brandon Wegher as a Big Ten back, who was likely going to see significant time as both a runner and receiver, whose skill set complements the other backs well?

How often do we see Kaldenberg NOT marginalize, downgrade, or otherwise dismiss Brandon Wegher as a Big Ten back, who was likely going to see significant time as both a runner and receiver, whose skill set complements the other backs well?

Iowa's backfield this year is fairly talented. Not cracking the top 2 or possibly 3 on the depth chart isn't a downgrade in my opinion. We just happen to have some very talented backs in the program and our most talented is healthy again.

Iowa's backfield this year is fairly talented. Not cracking the top 2 or possibly 3 on the depth chart isn't a downgrade in my opinion. We just happen to have some very talented backs in the program and our most talented is healthy again.

He was going to be in the top 3 this season. He played very well as a true freshman (though obviously not in your opinion), and was not going to get passed by true freshman this year. As good as Johnson and Coker may end up being, we weren't going to burn up a year of their eligibility when we already have 3 backs who are more than capable of playing the running back position in the Big Ten.

Brian, did Wegher do something personal to you? There surely is no lost love on your end.

Wegher is one of, if not, the, best back at Iowa. Losing him is big.

Latest posts