ESPN article on Wegher with Ferentz Quotes

Iowa's backfield this year is fairly talented. Not cracking the top 2 or possibly 3 on the depth chart isn't a downgrade in my opinion. We just happen to have some very talented backs in the program and our most talented is healthy again.

...... in other news, kermit the frog is green. Way to go out on a limb there. Have you ever tried to pedal a ten speed bike backwards to no avail as well? HA!

Brian, did Wegher do something personal to you? There surely is no lost love on your end.

Wegher is one of, if not, the, best back at Iowa. Losing him is big.

That's what I've been wondering but have been trying to avoid stepping into his hatefest.

That's what I've been wondering but have been trying to avoid stepping into his hatefest.

Sometimes it's not a bad idea. Ever get in those moods where you just want to yell at someone? When that happens, just come here and mention Wegher to Kaldenberg. Then you can relieve a little stress lol.

It has to be one of these reasons:

1. Something very personal happened that is making it very difficult for him playing football.

2. He saw the writing on the wall and didn't like it.

My guess is that if this is not a personal reason, I don't think it is to far-fetched what Brian is saying. With Jewel Hampton coming back, somebody was going to lose reps. But, I got to be honest, even after reviewing some of his runs in the Orange Bowl, he does not have the break away speed that some of other backs have (Yes, he did have that break away run for a score, but still). The coaches maybe noticed that too. But, I would rather have BW on the sideline than not have him. He did not fumble the ball and was still a tough runner last year.

Looking at some of the practice footage, Hampton looks like he has much quicker feet. But, we will find out soon enough.

Last edited:
It has to be one of these reasons:

1. Something very personal happened that is making it very difficult for him playing football.

2. He saw the writing on the wall and didn't like it.

My guess is that if this is not a personal reason, I don't think it is to far-fetched what Brian is saying. With Jewel Hampton coming back, somebody was going to lose reps. But, I got to be honest, even after reviewing some of his runs in the Orange Bowl, he does not have the break away speed that some of other backs have (Yes, he did have that break away run for a score, but still). The coaches maybe noticed that too. But, I would rather have BW on the sideline than not have him. He did not fumble the ball and was still a tough runner last year.

He does have better breakaway speed than Robinson, and the jury is out on Hampton in that department until Sept. 11. He also had some big runs against Indiana and Northwestern (TD that got called back). His biggest problem is that he doesn't have great shiftiness. He slows down to set up blocks downfield, rather than making an ankle-breaking cut. That makes him look slower than what he really is. He's just more of a straight-line speedster.

He has very fast breakaway speed. I think tm3308 hits it on the head. Has trouble changing direction at a high speed. We're nit picking here... imagine seeing some of us change directions at high speeds lol.

The ability to make someone miss without having to slow down a whole lot. I see other backs all over the place that in my opinion do it much better. Robinson and Hampton do it better and I suspect we have other backs on the team who do it better too or weigh 20-25+ more pounds (Coker) and give us a different look back.

Rarely does a back get to exhibit their 40 speed.

You guys said it better. Which would make sense in the ability to get yourself open downfield. That is where I was seeing the problems.

He has very fast breakaway speed. I think tm3308 hits it on the head. Has trouble changing direction at a high speed. We're nit picking here... imagine seeing some of us change directions at high speeds lol.

The ability to make someone miss without having to slow down a whole lot. I see other backs all over the place that in my opinion do it much better. Robinson and Hampton do it better and I suspect we have other backs on the team who do it better too or weigh 20-25+ more pounds (Coker) and give us a different look back.

Rarely does a back get to exhibit their 40 speed.

That's where I disagree. Robinson doesn't really make people miss so much as he slips out of tackles. He doesn't make a lot of ankle-breakers, either. He was just better at slipping out of tackles than Wegher (But that was something that I think Wegher was going to be better at this year. He was more worried about keeping a firm grip on the football last year. Most fumbles seem to occur when a back is fighting for extra-yardage. See: Edgerrin James).

And they do get to showcase 40 speeds. They just usually have to make a big cut to get to the open field to do it. I've never disagreed that Wegher has shortcomings in his game (shiftiness is really the only one, it just has a big impact on his game), but I still feel he is a more than capable Big Ten back, regardless of that shortcoming. He is able to make up for it with speed (even though he doesn't always break the big one, he can pick up 4-6 yard chunks with a good burst before being brought down), receiving ablility, and blitz pickup.

Last edited:
Wegher sets a frosh record for TD's and has 113 yds in Iowa first BCS victory ever, and some on here are saying he is buried on the depth chart? Nuts.
We need at least 3-4 rbs at Iowa just to hope to not have to go with Paki by the 3rd game. Jewel could go down anytime as we saw last year. ARob got hurt last year. Coker got hurt this year. Johnson got hurt last year. Wegher got hurt last year...anyone see a trend? I hope he comes back this year, or redshirts and comes back next year...we need him.

I'm as sick of this discussion as many are- but to question Wegher's heart right now is pretty shallow and off base.

Im guessing you missed a comment made by the Captain himself.

“He came back and practiced a couple days and his heart wasn’t into it,â€￾ "

From: http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/14212-wegher-returns-heart-wasnt-not-what-seems.html

IMO, if his heart is not in it, its time to move on. Give up the scholly to someone whos heart is in it. Take Lance Tillison for example. If I remember right, he left for personal reasons. Gave up the schooly. Returned as a walk on. Maybee Im just old fashioned but if you dont want to put in the hard work everyone else is, your not going to indulge in all the bennies of a full ride. Sorry, but Im not joining any pitty party that someone wants to throw for him. (Please do not mistake that as he is throwing one for himself)

If he is gone, let him be gone. Kirk obviously has the door open but isn't sitting around crying about it, I suggest we all do the same.

We have very talented and capable RB's even with BW gone.

Jewel will be the clear #1 in week 3 in my opinion.

I REALLY enjoyed watching BW play football and he certainly is as asset to the team. However, we have all had trying times in our lives and having to deal with the rigors of playing big time D-1 football (and all the time it consumes), could make dealing with those issues even more difficult. I hope BW takes his redshirt, stays in school, gets his life on track and next year returns to the field to finish what he started. He could truly be a special player and I hope to see that continue in an Iowa uniform. Either way, nothing but love for BW.

After watching the BTN last night, IMO, he already is, just not for game one.

Brach, I agree 100%. However, in typical Ferentz style, he will still Start A Rob in week 2 I bet.

Do you think A Rob and Jewel will rotate series like BW last year? I think it will start like that and throughout the year Jewel will take on more of the load.

I hope this is all because he believes Jewell is going to emerge as the clear #1 guy early and the rumored 'personal reasons' are more of a convenient excuse rather than the reason he is sitting out. At any rate I'm getting sick of the soap opera. It's approaching Favre-like intensity at this point.

Why would you hope that?

This is nothing like the Favre thing. We don't have a national media count down, we aren't sending players to his house to bring him back. KF released a statement about 2 weeks ago regarding this, and he commented basically the same thing 2 weeks later when Andy asked him. Outside of that the only people talking about it are message board jackholes with nothing better to do. I haven't clicked on a Weger thread anywhere in 2 weeks and I haven't heard a word about him, it's pretty easy to avoid....

I for one view this as a big hit to the team, because Iowa needs at least three healthy backs to deal with the grind of this season. Also, BW has versatility that made him a special back. I hope the Orange Bowl was not the last time we get to watch him as a Hawkeye.

How often do you see someone who was probably going to see very, very limited time as a running back, with talent coming in behind him, another decent running back with 3 years left as a Hawkeye (Robinson) and then two years of talent ahead of him (Jewel), redshirt as sophomore, not practce during fall camp and then come back the next year.

I guess anything is possible.

Jebus dude, we get it. You don't like Brandon Wegher, and for some reason you don't think he'd be able to hack it at the Big 10 level. Never mind setting the freshman scoring record behind a patchwork offensive line and never turning the ball over, or for being a safety valve out of the backfield.

How on earth do you figure that his time would have been limited? You don't know that any more than anyone else. I'm not a gambling man, but if I were, I'd bet that KOK would find a way to get him involved.

Latest posts