Eric May

I think his skill set is fine. What we need from him is to develop long term memory problems. He is to moody out there. If we miss a shot forget about it. Not a big deal. Too much stress to make a shot. Defense is ok, rebounding is ok, handles not ok, shot good at times. I think Fran knows Eric will probably coming off the bench as Josh develops. I don't think that is a big secret. I think Eric knows that too. Eric still brings a skill set that can help a team be better. I just don't think anyone would argue he should be a role player. That being said if he is downgraded to role player the team better be playing pretty darn well.

His skill set isn't fine, he had the dribbling ability of a toddler, when he plays against teams that understand how to play defense, he does absolutely nothing. May cannot hit an outside shot against a team with a pulse, he cannot play defense against a player with skills.
May has been a disappointment since his freshman year, it is simply time to move on...if not this year, then next as Oglesby had some national recognition coming out of high school and has played fairly well to this point. The shift of playing time should start as the BIG season gets going as May will become invisible and I don't want to hear he had an injury last year because against decent competition prior to the BIG season he disappeared. May has too many limitations to ever be a starter in the BIG, can he be a solid 10-15 minute player off the bench, maybe.
There are players starting this year that had better enjoy it this year because they won't next year with the infusion of talent, or their PT will be decreased significantly.

May and Gatens are basically the same player. Gatens is a better perimeter shooter and May is a better athlete, but neither can get their own shot or do anything off the dribble. As I stated in my game observations thread, I liked what I saw with Oglesby, Marble and Cartwright on the floor. It actually looked like we could attack off the dribble from more than one spot on the floor. May and Gatens are tweeners--can't post either up and they can't take anyone off the bounce which limits them to standing, catching and shooting.

May and Gatens are basically the same player. Gatens is a better perimeter shooter and May is a better athlete, but neither can get their own shot or do anything off the dribble. As I stated in my game observations thread, I liked what I saw with Oglesby, Marble and Cartwright on the floor. It actually looked like we could attack off the dribble from more than one spot on the floor. May and Gatens are tweeners--can't post either up and they can't take anyone off the bounce which limits them to standing, catching and shooting.

The are the same in one respect only, neither can really create their own shot.
Gatens is a much better player than given credit for, he is a solid defender, a better than average shooter and can actually see the open man.
How much better is the than May? We will see in the BIG season where Gatens won't simply disappear in every game as May will.

Matt is a solid defender, last year, as the season went on last year, he seemed to get better, becoming one of our best defenders along with Devyn. Shot creation is lacking for both of them, but it is what is is, and they are the most experienced players on the team, as far as Big Ten play is concerned. That is an intangible that has value. We shall see, Sportstalent. This week should be a preview of how we will do in conference. Once again, four years running, I await a good season with fingers crossed and fingers flying over the rosary beads.....

:D

Honest to god, is there any reason to think he is a division I basketball player? I'm not asking if he should be a Big Ten player; is he even division I? Which mid-majors would he start at?

To me, it's pretty simple. What basketball skills has he demonstrated going into his third year? He can't shoot, he can't dribble, he doesn't have post up moves (or size), he doesn't seem to have instincts or a feel for the game, the offense doesn't exactly flow well through him...what is he decent at that he even has a chance at refining? Some defensive quickness in the open court when matched against small forwards?

I don't even see him as a role player at the division I level. He doesn't seem to be a basketball player, at least not a small forward or guard, for any level. I don't see basketball skills.

Always thought May would have been better as a football player, perhaps in the defensive backfield with his leaping ability.

First of all, it's called a spell-checker.

Second, would people stop using confidence as an excuse for lack of basketball ability! Show me a kid that has the skills to play at the D1 level who lacks confidence in his game. They just don't exist.

You're delusional if you think that 21 year old kids don't have confidence issues when it comes to playing any type of ball whether it's NAIA or D1.

The fact of the matter is some guys have issues when they miss their first one and their second, third, etc. Eric is a tremendous athlete, who without a doubt doesn't have the polished skills that he should by this point. However, it's very clear that he lacks confidence. I had hoped that Matt would rub off on him as one of Matt's favorite sayings is "You've gotta shoot to get hot, and you've gotta shoot to stay hot" unfortunately this has been the case. Ideally, Eric will get more confident as the year goes on and will be able to contribute, if not well it's unfortunate but he is what he is.

Also, to anyone ragging on Matt. Have you ever noticed that a team's best defender is put on him and they simply smother him? Watch the Clemson game for god's sakes they might as well have been running a box and one the way that kid chased Matt around CHA. It's ridiculous that anyone would suggest that Matt Gatens is a bad player. Some of you seem to have far too high of expectations for a good player on a not so good team. It's kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:
Eric May is a viable D1 basketball players, but has his limitations.

Like Matt Gatens, on a better team, he would be a better player.

Eric May is a viable D1 basketball players, but has his limitations.

Like Matt Gatens, on a better team, he would be a better player.

There are 345 division one teams so he is definitely a DI caliber player. Now I don't know if he is Big 10 caliber player, night in and night out.

Matt Gatens is a way, way better basketball player than Eric May.

There are 345 division one teams so he is definitely a DI caliber player. Now I don't know if he is Big 10 caliber player, night in and night out.

Matt Gatens is a way, way better basketball player than Eric May.

And yet Matt goes and hides some nights, and cannot drive the basket to save his soul, routinely getting blocked and rarely fouled. At least May can take it to the hole with some guarantee of drawing the foul, so I'm not sure Gatens is "way, way better."

And yet Matt goes and hides some nights, and cannot drive the basket to save his soul, routinely getting blocked and rarely fouled. At least May can take it to the hole with some guarantee of drawing the foul, so I'm not sure Gatens is "way, way better."

Eric May is a better athlete than Gatens. When does May ever drive the ball? Of course Matt disappears some games he is Iowa's only scoring threat. If you have a smart coach he puts his best defender on Matt and if the defender is a good athlete and smart like the Clemson kid Matt will really struggle to score.

Ok Matt Gatens is a way better basketball player than Eric May.

How can you say Eric May is close to Gatens in basketball ability.

Eric May seems like a good kid and I wish him the best, but his limitations have to do with his lack of athletic ability (poor hand eye coordination, poor lateral quickness, poor body control). Few basketball players lack all three of these athletic traits.

Saying he is a tremendous athlete does make him one.

Latest posts