Eric May

Honest to god, is there any reason to think he is a division I basketball player? I'm not asking if he should be a Big Ten player; is he even division I? Which mid-majors would he start at?To me, it's pretty simple. What basketball skills has he demonstrated going into his third year? He can't shoot, he can't dribble, he doesn't have post up moves (or size), he doesn't seem to have instincts or a feel for the game, the offense doesn't exactly flow well through him...what is he decent at that he even has a chance at refining? Some defensive quickness in the open court when matched against small forwards?I don't even see him as a role player at the division I level. He doesn't seem to be a basketball player, at least not a small forward or guard, for any level. I don't see basketball skills.

agree

Honest to god, is there any reason to think he is a division I basketball player? I'm not asking if he should be a Big Ten player; is he even division I? Which mid-majors would he start at?

To me, it's pretty simple. What basketball skills has he demonstrated going into his third year? He can't shoot, he can't dribble, he doesn't have post up moves (or size), he doesn't seem to have instincts or a feel for the game, the offense doesn't exactly flow well through him...what is he decent at that he even has a chance at refining? Some defensive quickness in the open court when matched against small forwards?

I don't even see him as a role player at the division I level. He doesn't seem to be a basketball player, at least not a small forward or guard, for any level. I don't see basketball skills.

He can slam dunk!

White > McCabe > Brommer but at this point McCabe brings a bigger body inside. If I were coaching I would give up on the Brommer experiment and wish him well but he wouldn't see the floor outside of relief minutes or foul troubles.

Basabe, White and McCabe splashed in with a little Olaseni and Brommer as needed will give valuable minutes to the first four and allow a Sr the opportunity to finish out his career without eating up minutes.

Eric May is extremely athletic. Against lesser teams w smaller and less athletic threes he's very effective using his athletic ability to get good looks. Against better and longer defenders his athletic ability is neutralized and he lacks basketball skill to overcome that. Confidence is also an issue.

Eric May is extremely athletic. Against lesser teams w smaller and less athletic threes he's very effective using his athletic ability to get good looks. Against better and longer defenders his athletic ability is neutralized and he lacks basketball skill to overcome that. Confidence is also an issue.

This is pretty spot on.
Also, his shot has looked better this year, but now he's not making anything.

this! and would be a decent role player in the horizen league, great kid, tough, good athlete, but gets embarrassed by High level D 1 teams, For 3 yrs Lick recruited decent horizen league players and tried to coach them up thru a system, we are still paying for this, it will take Fran at least 2-3 yrs of good recruiting classes to become competitive again, next yr should help somewhat,

Mays Confidence is a big issue right now, he may be better coming off the bench, this team is getting the peices needed to be competetive Brommer and Archie are about the level of 10th or 11th men on the roster
May, McCabe, White and Oglesby should be 6-9 players this season
Olaseni should redshirt
but for this season Fran has to play with what he has

Last edited:
Mays Confidence is a big issue right now, he may be better coming off the bench, this team is getting the peices needed to be competetive Brommer and Archie are about the level of 10th or 11th men on the roster
May, McCabe, White and Oglesby should be 6-9 players this season
Olaseni should redshirt
but for this season Fran has to play with what he has

First of all, it's called a spell-checker.

Second, would people stop using confidence as an excuse for lack of basketball ability! Show me a kid that has the skills to play at the D1 level who lacks confidence in his game. They just don't exist.

id be more inclined to play josh as the "3" over matt, not that fran wont tweaks those roles accordingly.

josh is taller, quicker, and has shown a better ability to penetrate and even score inside.

Cartwright
Gatens
White
Basabe
McCabe

As much as I hate to admit it, Gatens is more polished than Oglesby right now and would start. Oglesby, Marble and Olaseni are the next three off the bench. May plays spot minutes to give rest where necessary as does Brommer.

That folks is your best 10 man rotation for this roster.

I think at this point who starts really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. There's not a "go to" player that can consistently get their shot against good talent.

Until we can get at least a stud pg and post player we are going to struggle, and it sound like help is on the way next year.

Go Hawks!!!!!

It's painful to watch him play. He showed a lot of promise as a freshman. What the heck happened?

I said on this very board after his freshmen year he was going to be pretty limited going forward due to his lack of dribbling ability. It is really, really hard to improve you dribbling as much as he needs to if you want to see him become a dribble drive wing threat. He has improved his ball handling from his freshmen year but it is still very far from what it needs to be.

I think May can be a contributor but he will mostlikely have to run the floor to get easy dunks/lay ups. He can also score some points by hitting that freethrow line pull up jump shot. He just can't dribble well enough to get all the way to the basket but it seems like if he does not think too much he is pretty good at elevating above the defender at the freethrow line off a couple dribbles and shooting that shot.

The guy is just limited offensively like many others on the roster and they need to find ways to score.

Iowa scores fine against horrible competition but they really show their weakness against decent teams.

I guess it depends on how you define athletic. He doesn't seem to have athleticism that lends itself to playing basketball.

Tom Davis used to talk about this. He called Ryan Bowen a tremendous athlete due to his lateral quickness, which is extremely important in basketball. He called Kent MacCausland an underrated athlete because he had incredible hand eye coordination and knew how to exploit it. You could even say Jimmy Bartels was a good athlete because he had some of both Bowen and MacCausland's skills.

What can May do? Jump? I don't even know that that makes him a great athlete. It doesn't seem to make him a great rebounder or good defender.

Take Daryl Moore for example. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't dribble, but somehow he used his athleticism to become a productive basketball player. I don't know what May brings. Please stop calling him a great athlete. Just say he is really good at jumping from a standing position if that's what you mean.

I guess it depends on how you define athletic. He doesn't seem to have athleticism that lends itself to playing basketball.

Tom Davis used to talk about this. He called Ryan Bowen a tremendous athlete due to his lateral quickness, which is extremely important in basketball. He called Kent MacCausland an underrated athlete because he had incredible hand eye coordination and knew how to exploit it. You could even say Jimmy Bartels was a good athlete because he had some of both Bowen and MacCausland's skills.

What can May do? Jump? I don't even know that that makes him a great athlete. It doesn't seem to make him a great rebounder or good defender.

Take Daryl Moore for example. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't dribble, but somehow he used his athleticism to become a productive basketball player. I don't know what May brings. Please stop calling him a great athlete. Just say he is really good at jumping from a standing position if that's what you mean.

Ha! Great post. I laughed at that last sentence and message board comedy never makes me laugh. It's funny cuz it's true!

Latest posts