Eric May

HE'S A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

I think you hit it on the head. He is a very good athlete, but not a real good basketball player. I think he could be a very good football player if he so desired. He doesn't seem to have great basketball instincts, but he can jump and has exceptional speed. You need quickness in basketball and not speed necessarily. I wouldn't mind seeing rudock throwing to may in the next 2 years.

A lot of the games we have won the past two years were because we had Eric May playing excellent defense and scoring on breakaway dunks that demoralized the competition. He is certainly in a slump, and appears to have confidence issues, but he has helped the team since he has been here. If he wouldn't hesitate when open, I believe he would score more.

He never was intended to be a point guard or to carry the scoring load, but when he is On we usually win.....

:)

This thread reminds me of something- who was the poster that was saying during May's freshman year that, and I'm paraphrasing here:

"Eric May will be your favorite Iowa basketball player of all-time by the time he is done here".

Anybody remember who was stating that? Whoever it was looks pretty funny now.

"Lack of Confidence" equals zero basketball talent

He may be an "athlete" or "athletic" but he hasn't the slightest clue how to dribble and play the game of basketball. He make poor, poor choices with the ball in his hands and doesn't know how to find an open spot on the floor without the ball.

He is what he is, very fast in a straight line and can jump high, other than that, there really isn't a whole lot there. He has no lateral quickness, which is why he can't even contribute defensively where one would think he should excel, should be one of the last two players in a game with Archie.

Oglesby is everything May isn't and it is about time he starts, if indeed he does the next game.

A lot of the games we have won the past two years were because we had Eric May playing excellent defense and scoring on breakaway dunks that demoralized the competition. ....

Demoralizing the competition? Hummm, not sure i would say that... Yep those 11 wins sure show that to be true in 2010-2011

Demoralizing the competition? Hummm, not sure i would say that... Yep those 11 wins sure show that to be true in 2010-2011
You are, of course, correct to blame Eric May for last season's record.....

Good work, keep me posted on your insights in the future....

I couldn't understand when all last off season people kept saying that May and Gatens were going to be "totally different" players this year. They are exactly the same as they have always been.

May is an incredible athlete with little to no basketball skills.

He should have taken his cue from Brandon Meyers and Tyler Sash, and if it were not for Licklieters incredibly poor recruiting he probably would be on the football team as May would not have sniffed another high major offer.

You are, of course, correct to blame Eric May for last season's record.....

Good work, keep me posted on your insights in the future....

Sorry but I am not going to blame him for losing nor am I going to credit him for the wins. He really does not have all that many dunks ove the last two full seasons and so far this season. I am just curious how you make a statement about his dunks somehow putting teams away. I get that some of his dunks are pretty cool due to how explosive he is, but it's not like Iowa was wining a lot of games and demoralizing opponents.

Now you want my take on the future... Humm well I am excited to see what Woodbury looks like and Gesell look like. Cartwright will be gone so I am hoping that Gesell is better off the bounce than Bryce or at least equal his freshmen year. You can pretty much tell day one if a guy has that good first step as it's not really something you develope that much. You can learn to set defenders up but you don't really develope that nice fast first step. I like Josh O as a shooter and actually like his game a bit. I think he could at least mimick Gatens so at least we hopefully don't take a step back losing Matt.

Fran seems to be targeting very good recruits so I think our future is fine as long as he can lure them to Iowa. Just like any coach you can only coach up players so much. You have to narrow the talent gap that the top of the Big 10 has on you, develope guys and see what you have.

It's a bit early for me to say much but it seems like Fran knows what he is doing. Trust me he want's 4-5 start players but at this point and time he will have to rely on find 3-3.5 start guys and hope that after one year he can work with them and make them 4 start caliber.

Does that work for you? That is my take.

Sorry but I am not going to blame him for losing nor am I going to credit him for the wins. He really does not have all that many dunks ove the last two full seasons and so far this season. I am just curious how you make a statement about his dunks somehow putting teams away. I get that some of his dunks are pretty cool due to how explosive he is, but it's not like Iowa was wining a lot of games and demoralizing opponents.

Now you want my take on the future... Humm well I am excited to see what Woodbury looks like and Gesell look like. Cartwright will be gone so I am hoping that Gesell is better off the bounce than Bryce or at least equal his freshmen year. You can pretty much tell day one if a guy has that good first step as it's not really something you develope that much. You can learn to set defenders up but you don't really develope that nice fast first step. I like Josh O as a shooter and actually like his game a bit. I think he could at least mimick Gatens so at least we hopefully don't take a step back losing Matt.

Fran seems to be targeting very good recruits so I think our future is fine as long as he can lure them to Iowa. Just like any coach you can only coach up players so much. You have to narrow the talent gap that the top of the Big 10 has on you, develope guys and see what you have.

It's a bit early for me to say much but it seems like Fran knows what he is doing. Trust me he want's 4-5 start players but at this point and time he will have to rely on find 3-3.5 start guys and hope that after one year he can work with them and make them 4 start caliber.

Does that work for you? That is my take.
Good take....

Pay attention to the little smiley faces that might give you a clue as to the seriousness of the posts, consider the possibility that a post may be made with tongue firmly planted in cheek....

All that said, Eric May did put a game or two away on occasion in the big ten and has had some exceptional games in his career. Case in point is the Penn State game his first season. We were behind and struggling in the second half. Penn State stole the ball and someone was flying in for a slam when May came from behind and blocked the shot above the rim, we maintained possession, and May scored on an alley-oop dunk. Game over. They never recovered. The momentum of the game was changed for the better.

There are occasions that Eric May does very well for someone who has zero basketball skills and is a one-dimensional player who who should be one of the last players off the bench. I guess earning Big Ten Freshman of the Year First Team was decided by basketball idiots....

According to University of Iowa Hawkeye Hoops.

Two of May's better games this year have come against the nationally-ranked Buckeyes. The Dubuque, Ia, native scored 17 of his 18 points in the final 14;37 vs. No. 20 Ohio State on Jan. 27, 2010. The 18 points was a team best and equaled a personal high. He also blocked a game-high three shots and drained a career-high five triples, all in the second half against the Buckeyes. Ten days later at Columbus, he netted a team-high 16 points against No. 13 Ohio State.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/020910.pdf

I personally do not get off belittling Iowa Hawkeye basketball players who are struggling. They do read the forums you know. Not saying that you personally are slamming Eric hard but quite a few are.

my-two-cents-soupy-car-sales

Good take....

Pay attention to the little smiley faces that might give you a clue as to the seriousness of the posts, consider the possibility that a post may be made with tongue firmly planted in cheek....

All that said, Eric May did put a game or two away on occasion in the big ten and has had some exceptional games in his career. Case in point is the Penn State game his first season. We were behind and struggling in the second half. Penn State stole the ball and someone was flying in for a slam when May came from behind and blocked the shot above the rim, we maintained possession, and May scored on an alley-oop dunk. Game over. They never recovered. The momentum of the game was changed for the better.

There are occasions that Eric May does very well for someone who has zero basketball skills and is a one-dimensional player who who should be one of the last players off the bench. I guess earning Big Ten Freshman of the Year First Team was decided by basketball idiots....

According to University of Iowa Hawkeye Hoops.

Two of May's better games this year have come against the nationally-ranked Buckeyes. The Dubuque, Ia, native scored 17 of his 18 points in the final 14;37 vs. No. 20 Ohio State on Jan. 27, 2010. The 18 points was a team best and equaled a personal high. He also blocked a game-high three shots and drained a career-high five triples, all in the second half against the Buckeyes. Ten days later at Columbus, he netted a team-high 16 points against No. 13 Ohio State.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/020910.pdf

I personally do not get off belittling Iowa Hawkeye basketball players who are struggling. They do read the forums you know. Not saying that you personally are slamming Eric hard but quite a few are.

my-two-cents-soupy-car-sales

ha,ha.... need a sarcasm detector on this site!

It's fun to talk basketball but man it's going to be hard waiting the next couple years for some more talent and Frans recruits to get a bit of experience.

I hope and feel it will work but am not sure when the turning point will happen!

It will take time, ICHAWK, but I really do believe that it is coming. When Fran gets all of His recruits on board, things should be different. He has a very nice class coming in. They would actually be a nice starting five, but I anticipate Oglesby and White, and maybe Marble starting for a while in the coming seasons....

We shall see....

Honestly I just don't think May is a Big 10 caliber player. Many people like to say "what a great athlete" he is, and while that may be true that does not equate to being a Big 10-caliber player. May would have a difficult time starting for Drake or UNI.

He has a red shirt season available. Get him in with Doyle next year and see if you can turn him into an H Back or DE.

Honestly I just don't think May is a Big 10 caliber player. Many people like to say "what a great athlete" he is, and while that may be true that does not equate to being a Big 10-caliber player. May would have a difficult time starting for Drake or UNI.

May would be a role player coming off the bench at UNI.

He has the worst handles I've seen from a player with expectations since Pierre Pierce. He's a walking turnover.

I think his skill set is fine. What we need from him is to develop long term memory problems. He is to moody out there. If we miss a shot forget about it. Not a big deal. Too much stress to make a shot. Defense is ok, rebounding is ok, handles not ok, shot good at times. I think Fran knows Eric will probably coming off the bench as Josh develops. I don't think that is a big secret. I think Eric knows that too. Eric still brings a skill set that can help a team be better. I just don't think anyone would argue he should be a role player. That being said if he is downgraded to role player the team better be playing pretty darn well.

Just because he'd have a hard time starting for better teams than Iowa doesn't say much :)

Latest posts