Eric May: Eating Crow

May is currently my favorite player... first time i saw him play i was like why is this guy on the floor. second time i saw him play he made me eat my words. i love watching him play. glad he's only a freshman

May is getting better and better.

It's going to be fun watching May, Payne and Gatens play together at Iowa the next couple of years.

I will post it later when I get a chance, but his numbers are better or equal in pretty much every category to Haluska's freshman year at ISU.

To LAchalk.

If you don't think May is a pretty damn good athlete and going to be at least an above average player, you are clueless. Just because you don't like Lick doesn't mean anything and everything in his program isn't Big Ten caliber.

May's stats are equal to or better than Adam Haluska's freshman stats in pretty much every category. And he can take it to the rack, although not quite as well as Haluska could, at least not yet. If you don't think he is going to be a pretty good player, perhaps you should revisit the block he had on when Evan Turner tried to deliver a tomahawk jam in the OSU game. May pretty much told him thanks but no thanks, you aren't scoring this time. May has had at least two games that I can remember where he has had three blocks. And he gets blocks from the side and behind without fouling guys. That is the sign of a pretty good athlete because those will be fouls more often than not.

I wouldn't expect you to grasp any of that, however. You're too busy making snide comments to people who actually understand the game, unlike yourself.

May is the real deal. If he works on his ball handling, the sky's the limit. He is tougher than Haluska. He challanges everything. I didnt hear too much about him before he got to Iowa, so I didnt have an informed opinion of him. I am glad we got him.
Could you imagine the back court defense we would have had with May and Kelly.

I'm over it. I still like to look back and think about what could have been.
Ronnie Lester without a blown knee.
Connie Hawkins with the all-time Iowa scoring record.
Jess Settles with a healthy back.
Chris Street living a long and healthy life.
Troy Skinner with a left hand.
James Winters with a jump shot.
Russ Millard with a school book.
Think of all the posibilities

Why be negative hawkytalk? Lightning was just sharing a quick thought involving a former beloved Hawk who had to leave under unfortunate circumstances. There's nothing to get over, we're all sentient adults.

Thanks Lightning, I agree, that would have been quite a combination. It would have been especially nice to see this year.

On a similar vein, I have sometimes wondered how Tom Davis' future at Iowa might have been different if Chris Street hadn't died in that car accident. Perhaps maybe things might have been looking up enough that the scales get tipped slightly in our favor and Davis is able to snag Raef LaFrentz? Who knows what could have happened, but one can't help but wonder sometimes. No matter what the current situation is I try to keep the faith and keep looking up, and when you're hoping for the best you can't help but imagine sometimes how things could have taken a turn for the better. Kind of like some people on here wondering how things might have been had Stanzi not gone down.

P.S. To add to the original thread...Eric May rocks! It will be fun to watch his game develop.

Last edited:
He is quickly becoming one of my favorite Iowa players, ever.
Wow another example of how far this program has slipped. Eric is not in the top 20 of Iowa players I have enjoyed watching the last 37 years, not even close. He is a hustler, he is a great kid. He however is not a "great basketball player". He is a great athlete playing basketball...my 2 cents.

Wow another example of how far this program has slipped. Eric is not in the top 20 of Iowa players I have enjoyed watching the last 37 years, not even close. He is a hustler, he is a great kid. He however is not a "great basketball player". He is a great athlete playing basketball...my 2 cents.

I doubt May ever enters the discussion of all-time Iowa greats. However, that doesnt mean he cant be a favorite of someone.

I totally understand....just my thoughts that it is tough when he really is a great athlete but just a decent basketball player.

You do realize he is a freshman? I think he will develop into a very good player by the time he is a JR, and SR. He is athletic, he defends well, he needs to work on the ball handling, and his shooting could be more consistent. He certainly works hard, and I think will be a very good player for Iowa in the years to come.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Am I really reading a discussion about the possibility of two years in a row with a player on the All Big Ten Freshman team?

Does that make anyone question all the "can't recruit" people on here?????

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Am I really reading a discussion about the possibility of two years in a row with a player on the All Big Ten Freshman team?

Does that make anyone question all the "can't recruit" people on here?????
The key factor here is that freshmen are playing here more than at most other BT schools the last two years.

I doubt May ever enters the discussion of all-time Iowa greats. However, that doesnt mean he cant be a favorite of someone.

My thoughts exactly.

Latest posts