Eno, Other Iowa Pledges Starting Martin Movement on Twitter

Joshbrown welcome! I sure hope we are finished with Juan Harris. The Hawks don't need that train wreck. Let the goofers have him.

I agree. I'd prefer the Hawks get Daniels and forget about Harris. Let him be someone else's problem. I'd be pretty surprised if he ever plays a down of D1 college football.

I agree. I'd prefer the Hawks get Daniels and forget about Harris. Let him be someone else's problem. I'd be pretty surprised if he ever plays a down of D1 college football.
I'm not so sure if I feel the same. Don't get me wrong Daniels sounds like an absolute stud of a player too and if we can get him great. But Harris is a Vince Wolfork type of player that there just aren't any else of out there. If he's got his head on strait and in shape he's at worst the best run stuffing 1st and 2nd down DT there is. I think there's a place for that kind of player on any team so I'll be surprised if the door is shut on him coming to Iowa. But I could be wrong... Can you imagine if he Daniels and Eppy all came? Plus some of the other D lineman we've already gotten for this upcoming year that'll be redshirting? Iowa's back to being the bullies of the BIG again and that's when they are at their best.

I'm not so sure if I feel the same. Don't get me wrong Daniels sounds like an absolute stud of a player too and if we can get him great. But Harris is a Vince Wolfork type of player that there just aren't any else of out there. If he's got his head on strait and in shape he's at worst the best run stuffing 1st and 2nd down DT there is. I think there's a place for that kind of player on any team so I'll be surprised if the door is shut on him coming to Iowa. But I could be wrong... Can you imagine if he Daniels and Eppy all came? Plus some of the other D lineman we've already gotten for this upcoming year that'll be redshirting? Iowa's back to being the bullies of the BIG again and that's when they are at their best.

I don't disagree with you. Harris has a ton of potential. I just think there's a big giant IF that comes along with that potential. Keep in mind, I don't know the kid and this is purely my gut feeling based upon his tweets (which are almost illegible) and commitment drama, but I feel like there's about a 90% chance the kid never does what it takes to make an impact on a D1 football team. So the question becomes is it worth it to grant a scholarship to a kid you know could be a hell of a football player, but you also know there's a good chance he probably won't do what it takes to succeed?

I don't have a problem with it either way. You either give him a chance or you don't. I guess I look at some of the DT's Iowa has had in the past that have been really successful and they are all team first guys who give great effort on and off the field. Guys like Kroul, King, Mike Daniels, LTP, and now Jaleel Johnson, Faith Ekakitie, and Nate Bazata. Carl Davis is the only DT I can think of in recent history that had a ton of potential and worked out pretty well, but was also known to be kind of lazy. Juan Harris just doesn't seem like he fits the Iowa mold very well, and frankly I think they'll be more than fine without him. They ALWAYS find a way to develop solid DT's. That's been one area where they can't be criticized. I remember when everyone was worried about Kroul and King not having any experience, and they went out and earned it. Now I'm just rambling...

Harris is an interesting case. On one hand he's likely gone and would seem to be a problem waiting to happen. On the other hand, IOWA is just the kind of place that would be good for him...help him mature and focus.

I personally find this sort of stuff a little.. creepy...

Let Eno and other peers do it. That's all in good fun. And I'm someone who doesn't think recruits are holy and are without criticism for things they say or unprofessional actions take. But I just don't think grown adults should go beyond simple comments when trying to convince a high school kid to come to your $25k/year football development league, or school.

Yeah super creepy

Martin's a good Iowa HS player. There are plenty of other 3 star WR's out there just as good or better. Not a huge gain or loss.

I don't disagree with you. Harris has a ton of potential. I just think there's a big giant IF that comes along with that potential. Keep in mind, I don't know the kid and this is purely my gut feeling based upon his tweets (which are almost illegible) and commitment drama, but I feel like there's about a 90% chance the kid never does what it takes to make an impact on a D1 football team. So the question becomes is it worth it to grant a scholarship to a kid you know could be a hell of a football player, but you also know there's a good chance he probably won't do what it takes to succeed?

I don't have a problem with it either way. You either give him a chance or you don't. I guess I look at some of the DT's Iowa has had in the past that have been really successful and they are all team first guys who give great effort on and off the field. Guys like Kroul, King, Mike Daniels, LTP, and now Jaleel Johnson, Faith Ekakitie, and Nate Bazata. Carl Davis is the only DT I can think of in recent history that had a ton of potential and worked out pretty well, but was also known to be kind of lazy. Juan Harris just doesn't seem like he fits the Iowa mold very well, and frankly I think they'll be more than fine without him. They ALWAYS find a way to develop solid DT's. That's been one area where they can't be criticized. I remember when everyone was worried about Kroul and King not having any experience, and they went out and earned it. Now I'm just rambling...
Yeah I hear ya. That ever so large two letter word 'if'... And I sure as heck don't know the future anymore then anyone else. I'm not on twitter so I only see what things people post on here and a few other places. So if he sounds like he's at a 5th graders writing/reading level along with maturity.... I guess my glass half full way of looking at things sometimes just has me wishing for the best.
Yeah Davis was a guy that I thought should have been similarly dominant. He seemed to play like he had agents and NFL in his head his Jr and Sr years. Granted he played better his Sr year but I'd say he fell short of what he was capable of. Maybe he was playing to not get hurt or maybe his motor just isn't what guys like Kings and Krouls is it's hard to tell...

I personally find this sort of stuff a little.. creepy...

Let Eno and other peers do it. That's all in good fun. And I'm someone who doesn't think recruits are holy and are without criticism for things they say or unprofessional actions take. But I just don't think grown adults should go beyond simple comments when trying to convince a high school kid to come to your $25k/year football development league, or school.

Creepy and kind of pathetic as well.

Eno, if things don't work out in the pro's after you leave Iowa I think we have a recruiting coordinator position opening up about then.

Yeah I hear ya. That ever so large two letter word 'if'... And I sure as heck don't know the future anymore then anyone else. I'm not on twitter so I only see what things people post on here and a few other places. So if he sounds like he's at a 5th graders writing/reading level along with maturity.... I guess my glass half full way of looking at things sometimes just has me wishing for the best.
Yeah Davis was a guy that I thought should have been similarly dominant. He seemed to play like he had agents and NFL in his head his Jr and Sr years. Granted he played better his Sr year but I'd say he fell short of what he was capable of. Maybe he was playing to not get hurt or maybe his motor just isn't what guys like Kings and Krouls is it's hard to tell...

Yeah I even heard rumors that Davis was upset with the coaches for asking him to be able to play more than a few plays in a row. He was worried he was going to get injured and ruin his chances at making the NFL. He was one player I noticed tapping on his helmet and asking to be subbed out quite frequently. That just isn't the kind of mentality I'd want in a football player.

The reality is that the coaches knew Davis would be a heck of a lot more attractive to NFL teams if he proved he was capable of being an every down type player. Obviously, he'd be more valuable to the Hawks as well, but that wasn't a selfish thing to ask on the coach's behalf. They just knew that the biggest area he needed to improve upon was his endurance. Kid could play great for 2 or 3 plays and then he'd be gassed.

Yeah I even heard rumors that Davis was upset with the coaches for asking him to be able to play more than a few plays in a row. He was worried he was going to get injured and ruin his chances at making the NFL. He was one player I noticed tapping on his helmet and asking to be subbed out quite frequently. That just isn't the kind of mentality I'd want in a football player.

The reality is that the coaches knew Davis would be a heck of a lot more attractive to NFL teams if he proved he was capable of being an every down type player. Obviously, he'd be more valuable to the Hawks as well, but that wasn't a selfish thing to ask on the coach's behalf. They just knew that the biggest area he needed to improve upon was his endurance. Kid could play great for 2 or 3 plays and then he'd be gassed.
Yeah and I’d have a tough time believing that he’d be that gassed. A player that was in his 4th and 5th year in Doyles program shouldn’t be that gassed after just a handful of snaps in a row. I think it was self preservation. He was content with being a 3rd round healthy draft pick rather then risk getting really beat up/hurt and hope to be a higher pick. He had the potential to be a 1st rounder too. Most would have strived for that. Which is what makes me think he had family/friends/agents some combination of all in his ear trying to make a not conventional calculated risk in his ear and it is what it is… Now if he was playing nicked up and really couldn’t go then I reserve the right to take back what I’m saying but I’ve never heard anything to the contrary yet

Yeah and I’d have a tough time believing that he’d be that gassed. A player that was in his 4th and 5th year in Doyles program shouldn’t be that gassed after just a handful of snaps in a row. I think it was self preservation. He was content with being a 3rd round healthy draft pick rather then risk getting really beat up/hurt and hope to be a higher pick. He had the potential to be a 1st rounder too. Most would have strived for that. Which is what makes me think he had family/friends/agents some combination of all in his ear trying to make a not conventional calculated risk in his ear and it is what it is… Now if he was playing nicked up and really couldn’t go then I reserve the right to take back what I’m saying but I’ve never heard anything to the contrary yet

Well he's still playing for the Ravens. This conversation encouraged me to go google him because I was curious. Found this article from a couple days ago: http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/7/16/12203916/can-carl-davis-breakout

Interesting that they mention the need for him to improve his conditioning in order to max out on his potential. I'm not usually a fan of knocking any former Hawks though. Hope the kid continues to do well for himself. He did always seem like a nice young man ever time I heard him interviewed. He has a ton of potential if he can just rewire his approach a little bit.

Some good discussion on Martin and of course, Harris.

In Martin's case he is a perfect example of how tricky recruiting can be. If he doesn't attend those recent camps does he get all those offers . . . and we all know the offers are why he is a 4 star now. Don't get me wrong, he has proven himself. But without the camps how many P5 coaches come to Iowa City to recruit a 6ft white wide receiver?? Was Kirk wrong not to offer him months ago? Not in my opinion. But at the same time imagine if he never got the offer and went to a P5 school and did well. Then we'd all be second-guessing Kirk.

Now as to Harris. I fully agree he is already controversial and he hasn't even started his senior year of high school. But just like Martin, suppose he becomes a star. I'm not predicting that, I'm just saying Kirk is in a tough position. Take a chance on him and maybe have a dominant D-line for 4 years. Cut him loose and hope that he becomes a problem for one of our rivals?? (BTW, how many of you are wondering if Kirk secretly wants to make Harris a dominant O-line player?)

Anyway, it's fun to watch recruiting now as Iowa has talent in state to consider and out of state talent looking at Iowa as a special destination. I'll admit something I shouldn't. Just the thought of adding additional 4 star recruits (regardless of their future production) to the class helps Kirk and the Hawkeyes in the PR department. The proverbial snowball effect. Other 4 stars see Iowa loading up on them and maybe see Iowa in a more favorable light. It couldn't hurt Iowa's chances of getting inside their opponents heads before the games are even played.

JMHO.

"Blowing Up" in the summer. In shorts. I don't get it.

Didn't everyone freak out with Amara Darboh left the state too? If he doesn't want to come to Iowa then wish him well except when he plays the Hawks

Some good discussion on Martin and of course, Harris.

In Martin's case he is a perfect example of how tricky recruiting can be. If he doesn't attend those recent camps does he get all those offers . . . and we all know the offers are why he is a 4 star now. Don't get me wrong, he has proven himself. But without the camps how many P5 coaches come to Iowa City to recruit a 6ft white wide receiver?? Was Kirk wrong not to offer him months ago? Not in my opinion. But at the same time imagine if he never got the offer and went to a P5 school and did well. Then we'd all be second-guessing Kirk.

Now as to Harris. I fully agree he is already controversial and he hasn't even started his senior year of high school. But just like Martin, suppose he becomes a star. I'm not predicting that, I'm just saying Kirk is in a tough position. Take a chance on him and maybe have a dominant D-line for 4 years. Cut him loose and hope that he becomes a problem for one of our rivals?? (BTW, how many of you are wondering if Kirk secretly wants to make Harris a dominant O-line player?)

Anyway, it's fun to watch recruiting now as Iowa has talent in state to consider and out of state talent looking at Iowa as a special destination. I'll admit something I shouldn't. Just the thought of adding additional 4 star recruits (regardless of their future production) to the class helps Kirk and the Hawkeyes in the PR department. The proverbial snowball effect. Other 4 stars see Iowa loading up on them and maybe see Iowa in a more favorable light. It couldn't hurt Iowa's chances of getting inside their opponents heads before the games are even played.

JMHO.

I'll admit I am a little behind the curve here with O. Martin, and our WRs recruiting. Yes, I have heard of the guy. However I am confused as to why we did not offer right away. The kid has to have talent if every big time school he talks to lately offers him a scholarship. How did we not see that?

Are there "other" issues with him that has KF & staff being cautious? Is it size, speed, school issues, or other? Are we in on much better players, that the staff likes?

I am missing something here, as our staff is generally above average in evaluating talent. If someone could enlighten me on this player from our own backyard, that would be great.

I'll admit I am a little behind the curve here with O. Martin, and our WRs recruiting. Yes, I have heard of the guy. However I am confused as to why we did not offer right away. The kid has to have talent if every big time school he talks to lately offers him a scholarship. How did we not see that?

Are there "other" issues with him that has KF & staff being cautious? Is it size, speed, school issues, or other? Are we in on much better players, that the staff likes?

I am missing something here, as our staff is generally above average in evaluating talent. If someone could enlighten me on this player from our own backyard, that would be great.

Simply a case of the kid didn't have impressive enough Jr. film, or camps last year to warrant offers. A year later, he is killing it with his measurables at camps, so that is why programs are offering now.

Simply a case of the kid didn't have impressive enough Jr. film, or camps last year to warrant offers. A year later, he is killing it with his measurables at camps, so that is why programs are offering now.

It's not "simply the case". That's why no other schools offered. But it's not why Iowa didn't offer.

Unfortunately I think there is a lot to be said about Martin being a white WR from Iowa. Like it or not, I imagine that played a role in his lack of offers up to a certain point. Then he goes to elite camps and shows what he can do against elite players and there is no more hiding what he's capable of so of course the offers come in.

Latest posts