Email Message from Coach McCaffery

Again, it won't matter if FM doesn't go out and find that one player. I have worked for enough struggling corporations that have resorted to these kinds of Rah Rah stunts in place of making the necessary changes to succeed.

In these situations, the Rah Rah ends up leading to people being more cynical, because they perceive that you are asking for them to change for nothing.

Go get your player. Give us something REAL to be excited about beyond rhetoric.

I don't think it should be denigrated as a "stunt". The school gets criticized for not doing anything to promote the basketball program, and when they do, they also get criticized? Not fair. However, I do agree that if it starts and stops with a web page, then it's a bs "stunt". But, I'm going to give them some credit and leeway for making the effort. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I ready to believe. The little things can make a difference if they're followed up on. This is a step, and it is some evidence of their commitment to turning things around. Enthusiasm for the program can be used as a positive on the recruiting trail as well; getting kids to want to be part of the process of turning it around.

I can't get the site to load....did anyone else have trouble with it? Hopefully its from too much traffic on the site at once!

Unless he gets us a player, it IS just a rah rah stunt. Find us a Kenny Hasbrouk, NOW!

Well he can't go "get" someone NOW as it is a quiet period for recruiting with no contact allowed until next Thursday.

So this is a perfect time for a little Rah-Rah effort from the university without distracting from the next to add that one player we all want.

If this is what they're doing now, I hope they really turn it up when it gets closer to season. I like the effort, cool website. It will all be for naught without any wins but I'm optimistic

Not saying it IS a stunt. However, if he doesn't go out and make key changes, starting with upgrading recruiting, NOW. It will just be a stunt.

Do you all remember Alford starting the Hawk's nest? Believe me, there have been efforts to energize the base. There was also a lot of PR when Lick was hired.

Marketing is good. But marketing without improved performance is doomed to failure and will result in even more fan cynicism.

Performance for FM right now means GO GET US A PLAYER!

Last edited:
I really like how he is putting himself out in front of a wide audience. This has the potential to pay off in some big ways.

Go get em COACH!!!

I really like the website

Had some trouble getting my browser to recognize it, but finally pulled it off.

The "What Mad Again Means" link is a little cheesy, buy I was interested enough in Iowa Basketball that I thoroughly checked out the site, so that is something. And to the producers of the explanation, thanks for letting us know what "Be" means.:)
-Greg

Not saying it IS a stunt. However, if he doesn't go out and make key changes, starting with upgrading recruiting, NOW. It will just be a stunt.

Do you all remember Alford starting the Hawk's nest? Believe me, there have been efforts to energize the base. There was also a lot of PR when Lick was hired.

Marketing is good. But marketing without improved performance is doomed to failure and will result in even more fan cynicism.

Performance for FM right now means GO GET US A PLAYER!

Lol easy buddy... agree that getting results will be a big measuring stick, but even moving the needle in the right direction from the start is still a measurable accomplishment with the situation he inherited.

Not saying you're wrong by any means, and I am kind of the same way- OK, great... you're saying the right things... now what are you going to do... but I still think this is measurable improvement from where Iowa Basketball was even a few weeks ago.

I love the site, I love the old school-ness approach, I love the fact that Iowa BB is getting some marketing.

I love ALL of it. I could leave the name/theme. I think they could have done better than "Let's Get Mad Again" - but I'll take whatever I can get in regards to hype.

As long as it's positive attitude towards BB, I'm for it.

Really?? Am I the only one?

I mean, I like the enthusiasm. I do. But I thought the "MAD" concept is kind of silly and uninspired. Direct quote from part of the site:

"'MAD' is short for madness. Which is short for march madness. Participation in the NCAA tournament is the stamp of approval for a season well done. The Hawkeyes want to be 'MAD' in march."

We get it. Mad. Like, march madness. You want to be playing in the tournament. We know.

I guess I feel like it could just be a little more eloquent or catchy or something. Regardless, I guess I'm glad the enthusiasm's there.

I like the hire. At first I didn't but after listening to him I am a supporter. What a change of atmosphere.

Of course, this is rah-rah stuff...but sign me up...haven't seen Iowa do something like this actually, so I am glad to see it.

Sign me up as well. I have a degree in Communications with a marketing minor and this is the stuff that gets people excited. Yes, you have to ultimately produce wins on the court but first you do need to have the fans in your corner. The last coaching regime failed to reach out to the fans or former players, etc. This is a great first step. Honestly, even though McCaffery has not coached a game yet this is the most excited I have been about Iowa basketball since Alford's first year. Yikes, that is a long dry spell!

I mean, I like the enthusiasm. I do. But I thought the "MAD" concept is kind of silly and uninspired. Direct quote from part of the site:

"'MAD' is short for madness. Which is short for march madness. Participation in the NCAA tournament is the stamp of approval for a season well done. The Hawkeyes want to be 'MAD' in march."

We get it. Mad. Like, march madness. You want to be playing in the tournament. We know.

I guess I feel like it could just be a little more eloquent or catchy or something. Regardless, I guess I'm glad the enthusiasm's there.

Tend to agree with this- the whole "Mad" campaign seems a little hokey, but if it get's people on board and excited... why not i guess. The easy thing about it though, is it does seem to translate well across all ages and levels of fans IMO.

05.jpg

Sweet Bruce Pearl cartoon, but get over him. Fran is our man. Rah rah!

Last edited:

Many on these message boards are probably too young to remember when Hayden Fry was hired - but he came in with the same type of message - he wanted to change the culture of Iowa football, from the smallest details (yes, even changing the uniforms) to getting the best players here. He didn't start with much, but he came in with enthusiasm and a plan, and it carried over to the whole program. Hayden embraced being at Iowa, even though he came from another region of the country. It's early, but I see parallels with McCaffery.

I like the marketing campaign. I don't see it as "uninspired". I suppose some marketing guru could come up with something else that would be catchy, but this isn't a pedestrian effort. I think that as fans, we need to stick our necks out a little bit, see the glass as half full, and re-invest in the program. That's all.

Just so I have this straight. When the marketing department doesn’t do much other than the $1 hot dog to get people excited about basketball they fail because they didn’t do enough. When they do something other than offer cheep food it’s a fail because after all it’s only a media stunt….

Latest posts