Early Start: Ferentz to the NFL talk Already Going On

Another thing following up the question about us winning a BCS title, if you review past National Championship winners, you don't see programs like Iowa on this list in recent history. Yeah, there have been times that a team like Washington or Oregon comes up but it doesn't happen often and it certainly doesn't happen on a consistent basis.

I like the Captain and think he and Iowa are a good fit. That said, I wouldn't mind at all if he jumped to the NFL. There are times it feels like this program needs fresh energy, a new direction. A change could mean less success, but it could also mean more.

Absolutely. We've got to stop settling for mediocrity, if we want Iowa to reach the next level.

images
images

Haley is not a good NFL head coach but I think Ferentz would be even worse. His strength is developing players over their five years on campus, not as a game day coach. There is a lot less emphasis on developing players in the NFL as you need guys that can play from day one in most cases. Ferentz is not a good clock manager to put it kindly, he's known for being extremely unflexible in both his offensive and defensive play calling. He's not good with the media and he gets very easy treatment from the media compared to what he would get in the NFL. He's also from the Belicheck coaching tree which has seen basically everyone of his former assistants flame out as a head coach. If I was a KC fan I would not want Ferentz as a coach unless he came on as an offensive line coach.[/QUOTE]

brutal.

I don't think he will go but Ferentz would be a great NFL coach. The NFL rewards being conservative and dominating the lines. Ferentz has always started on the lines first.

In college you can have success with a crazy system by grabbing skill players, but in the NFL you have to a run a traditional offense or you will be destroyed by the speed of the defense.

Every criticism we seem to put on Kirk (too conservative, predictable play calling, lack of blitzing) would be praised in the NFL because in the NFL Kirk would have the talent to do whatever he wanted. Our offense and defense only suffer when we dont have the talent to pull things off, in the NFL its not a problem.

And I will say this again and again, if we ever fire or let Ferentz get away we as fans will regret it forever. We will never get a coach of Ferentz's skill who views Iowa as a destination and not a stepping stone.

That would certainly test Beilima's commitment to Wisconsin.

I'm sure the two Stoops brothers not named Bob would be involved as well. In any one of these three cases, I see no scenario that Long stays at Kansas and would become Iowa's new OC

Who else would be in the mix?

Also, for the record, I don't foresee Iowa actually having to go out and hire a new coach after this year, just an interesting conversation is all.

Why in the hell would we want Mike Stoops?? He has had one decent year in Arizona and the team sucks again this year.

I don't think he will go but Ferentz would be a great NFL coach. The NFL rewards being conservative and dominating the lines. Ferentz has always started on the lines first.

In college you can have success with a crazy system by grabbing skill players, but in the NFL you have to a run a traditional offense or you will be destroyed by the speed of the defense.

Every criticism we seem to put on Kirk (too conservative, predictable play calling, lack of blitzing) would be praised in the NFL because in the NFL Kirk would have the talent to do whatever he wanted. Our offense and defense only suffer when we dont have the talent to pull things off, in the NFL its not a problem.

This is wrong on almost every point. For one, the NFL does not just run "traditional" offenses". The running back is dying in the NFL, and it is becoming a QB and reciever dominated league. There are only 8 running backs averaging over 80 yards per game. There are 20 recievers averaging 80 yards per game.

The NFL is absolutely a pass first league, and you do not want to hire a dinosaur coach whose phiosophy is run the ball, stop the run. The new phiosophy in the NFL is "Get a good QB, get good recievers, and get a guy who can rush the QB". That is exactly the formula that Green bay used last year (Nice "Traditional offense" they had).

When you look at the top coaches in the NFL (Belichik, McCarthey, Ryan, Reed), do the terms "conservative" and "predictable" come to mind?

Haley is not a good NFL head coach but I think Ferentz would be even worse. His strength is developing players over their five years on campus, not as a game day coach. There is a lot less emphasis on developing players in the NFL as you need guys that can play from day one in most cases. Ferentz is not a good clock manager to put it kindly, he's known for being extremely unflexible in both his offensive and defensive play calling. He's not good with the media and he gets very easy treatment from the media compared to what he would get in the NFL. He's also from the Belicheck coaching tree which has seen basically everyone of his former assistants flame out as a head coach. If I was a KC fan I would not want Ferentz as a coach unless he came on as an offensive line coach.

This post wins the thread. Well said, Mike.

This is wrong on almost every point. For one, the NFL does not just run "traditional" offenses". The running back is dying in the NFL, and it is becoming a QB and reciever dominated league. There are only 8 running backs averaging over 80 yards per game. There are 20 recievers averaging 80 yards per game.

The NFL is absolutely a pass first league, and you do not want to hire a dinosaur coach whose phiosophy is run the ball, stop the run. The new phiosophy in the NFL is "Get a good QB, get good recievers, and get a guy who can rush the QB". That is exactly the formula that Green bay used last year (Nice "Traditional offense" they had).

When you look at the top coaches in the NFL (Belichik, McCarthey, Ryan, Reed), do the terms "conservative" and "predictable" come to mind?

Agree completely. I get the feeling the people who say "his conservative style will fit in well in the NFL" don't watch much NFL. The Saints, Packers, Pats, Eagles, Bills and many others run basically spread offenses. And on defenses NFL teams are constantly throwing different looks at the offense, switching from 3-4 to 4-3, sometimes even going with no DL in a three point stance and the entire defense moving around before the snap. Where does Ferentz's defensive or offensive philosophy fit in in the NFL of today?

Some teams pass to set up the run but all teams run the ball quite a bit. The running back is not dying in the NFL the single running back who gets all the carries is dying, the running game is alive and well. The most passing teams in the league still run over 1/3 of the time and that doesn't count all the short passes, screens, and designed dump offs that act as runs. The NFL is still very traditional in their offense.

The best teams are roughly 50/50 in run/pass each year including the World Champion Green Bay Packers.

You wanna know Green Bay's numbers last year? 421 rushing attempts and 531 passing attempts. Iowa last year? 336 passes to 412 rushing attempts (not including bowl game).

No doubt there more passing in the NFL but you act like every team runs Texas Tech's offense. Many teams including some playoff teams rush the ball more than they pass. Ferentz's offense would be fine in the NFL.

Has anybody stopped to consider this - If KF was such a great NFL coach and so successful at that level, he would still be there.

Some teams pass to set up the run but all teams run the ball quite a bit. The running back is not dying in the NFL the single running back who gets all the carries is dying, the running game is alive and well. The most passing teams in the league still run over 1/3 of the time and that doesn't count all the short passes, screens, and designed dump offs that act as runs. The NFL is still very traditional in their offense.

The best teams are roughly 50/50 in run/pass each year including the World Champion Green Bay Packers.

You wanna know Green Bay's numbers last year? 421 rushing attempts and 531 passing attempts. Iowa last year? 336 passes to 412 rushing attempts (not including bowl game).

No doubt there more passing in the NFL but you act like every team runs Texas Tech's offense. Many teams including some playoff teams rush the ball more than they pass. Ferentz's offense would be fine in the NFL.

Sure, all teams in the NFL still run the ball. And the workhorse back is definitely a dying breed. But the best teams still pass quite a bit more than they run these days.

Look at this year's rushing attempts. The majority of the league's best teams are in the bottom half of the league in rushing attempts this year. The better rushing teams of that bunch get higher ypc, so there's quite a few that are at least middle of the pack in yards.

But when you look at passing offense, the best teams are all in the top 20, and of the top 10, only Carolina isn't a contender. But in rushing offense, of the top 10, half of those teams are not contenders (Oakland, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Miami, and Minnesota).

The numbers don't lie: the NFL favors the pass these days. The days of running the ball be THE key to victory are long gone in the NFL. Those days died when the rules changed in 2004 to favor receivers (no contact past 5 yards).

Perhaps that's also one reason why the Ferentz/NFL rumors quieted down? He was a VERY hot ticket from 2002-2004. Because back then, he was a perfect fit with his philosophy. That's not the case anymore.

It's blatantly apparent if you watch the draft (or at least pay attention to the results). Backs aren't typically going in the top 10 anymore, and when they do it's usually considered a reach (see: Spiller, C.J.). Mark Ingram was the first back taken this year, and he lasted all the way until #28. Start getting used to that, because it's going to be pretty common for backs to wait around that long.

Last edited:

Why did you argue my point and then post data to prove my point? Running over 1/3 of the time is not very much running. Throwing short passes and screens "that act as runs" are not runs, and Ferentz doesn't utilize on offense like that anyways. Also, posting that the Packers passed on 57% of their plays while Iowa passed on 45% of their plays is not the compelling argument you think it is.

Here is another way to look at it. Of the 32 NFL teams, only 4 of them average more than 30 rushing attempts per game, while 26 are averaging more than 30 pass attempts per game (4 are averaging more than 40. Iowa's offense, meanwhile, runs 36 times per game this year.

KF may be from the Belicheck tree, but coaches nothing like him. Has anyone seen the "Football Life" show on the NFL Network where Belicheck says that he is not afraid to do anything to win the game? That isn't the same philosphy that I've seen come from the Iowa sidelines.

3.6 mil, to go 8-4 every year. No real tough media scrutiny, in fact you can be a smarta$$ to the fans and the media without any real backlash. The occasional headache of a 18 year old doing dumb sh!t is outweighed by the fact you are preparing/molding young men to succeed in adulthood. Your boss loves you, if you wanted to you could be a jerk and basically run the athletic department, but you choose not to. You are at the point now where you can keep cashing checks and set your family up for generations.

Why on earth would you give all that up for a short stint in the NFL?

Last edited:
I have already said this in another forum but kf is not leaving. No I'm not guessing either. He signed a 10 extention contract with Iowa last year. He has no intention of leaving Iowa for a crappy nfl team.

Latest posts