Early Start: Ferentz to the NFL talk Already Going On

Kirk Ferentz has about as good a relationship with the media-- local and national-- as any coach in college football. Yes, the pro media is completely different and much more adverserial. But you can't deny that the vast majority of local and national media members love the guy.

The fact that the vast majority of the local media is afraid to ever question him, doesn't mean they love him.

I like the Captain and think he and Iowa are a good fit. That said, I wouldn't mind at all if he jumped to the NFL. There are times it feels like this program needs fresh energy, a new direction. A change could mean less success, but it could also mean more.
With all do respect Tweeter the same line of thinking was said about Iowa basketball with Mr. Davis was there. We now see how that worked out. I want Ferentz here as long as possible.

::Standard Jon Miller Warning:: Iowa football is one bad hire from becoming Minnesota.

New blood =\= better.

it is substantially more likely that a new head coach would be either worse or as good as Ferentz than it is likely they would be better than Ferentz. Iowa Football doesn't have the history or established success to take that gamble or to recover in the event it fails.

I like the Captain and think he and Iowa are a good fit. That said, I wouldn't mind at all if he jumped to the NFL. There are times it feels like this program needs fresh energy, a new direction. A change could mean less success, but it could also mean more.
Like Tim Brewster?

Player development is key to success in the NFL. You can't really build a team from free agency. It has to be through the draft, and as dynasties like the Patriots have shown, you really separate yourself with what you do with the 4th-7th round guys. That's Ferentz's M.O. There's a reason his name always comes up in these conversations and scheme guys like Oregon's coach don't.

Kirk Ferentz has about as good a relationship with the media-- local and national-- as any coach in college football. Yes, the pro media is completely different and much more adverserial. But you can't deny that the vast majority of local and national media members love the guy.

And that's Scott Pioloi's job, not Ferentz's.

KF would have to be nuts to go to the NFL at this juncture. He has built a great program at Iowa,and is guaranteed huge wealth,without the scrutiny or pressure of the NFL. He has been there,and been fired,so he knows it is known as the ''Not For Long'' league for a reason. I know Pioli is probably the only GM that could tempt him,but Iowa City is just too comfortable to leave. Would not be surprised if he retired at Iowa in about 8 years or less,and has Brian Ferentz in position on the staff to be named his replacement,tho...what man would not want to carve out a niche for his son?

Really??? YOU ARE A FOOL. Some fans just don't get it. Who will we get to come to Iowa that's near the coach of Ferentz. (BB is not coming here). Just becasue we have been extremely fortunate to have Fry, and then Ferentz, doesn’t mean we will continue to be. We are 3-1, and this is a “badâ€￾ year. Do you want to be in the same boat as Illinois, Minnesota, ISU, Indiana…?? I DON’T. We are Iowa at the end of the day…Not exactly a breeding ground for a ton of football talent. I will take the bad years with the good. Stop ********!!

Paul Rhoads for one.

I think you're confusing being candid and exciting with being good with the media. I know you hate Ferentz's robotic question answering, but that's exactly what plays in the NFL. I can think of one guy in the league right now whose openly charismatic with the media, and that's Rex Ryan. If the Jets were going 5-11 every year, how long do you think those antics would play? Ask John McDaniel, Tom Cable, Mike Tice, etc.

I don't know how I got sucked into this debate because I don't think Ferentz is going anywhere, nor do I want him to. But there's a reason his name always comes up-- his skill set is well-suited to the pro game. In fact, I remember when this was the main complaint about Ferentz-- he was too pro-oriented for college, where every game counts. All I take from that is that there will always be complaints, even about a guy who is going to win his 100th Iowa game some time in the next 12 months.

I think you're confusing being candid and exciting with being good with the media. I know you hate Ferentz's robotic question answering, but that's exactly what plays in the NFL. I can think of one guy in the league right now whose openly charismatic with the media, and that's Rex Ryan. If the Jets were going 5-11 every year, how long do you think those antics would play? Ask John McDaniel, Tom Cable, Mike Tice, etc.

I don't know how I got sucked into this debate because I don't think Ferentz is going anywhere, nor do I want him to. But there's a reason his name always comes up-- his skill set is well-suited to the pro game. In fact, I remember when this was the main complaint about Ferentz-- he was too pro-oriented for college, where every game counts. All I take from that is that there will always be complaints, even about a guy who is going to win his 100th Iowa game some time in the next 12 months.

I don't think his relationship with the media is anywhere near the main reason why he wouldn't succeed in the NFL. I don't think he would want to deal with journalists who ask tough questions though.

I think one of the main reasons his name comes up is because he worked under Belichick and especially early in his tenure Kirk was reeling off 10+ win seasons and the Pats were winning three super bowls. Now we've seen pretty much every assistant from the Belichick tree, fail as a head coach. Kirk runs a pro style offense, great, it's not ever been an explosive offensive and the NFL is now going more and more to spread oriented offenses too.

I don't want KF to leave, but if he did, he is leaving a program that is in far better shape than the one that he inherited.

And I honestly believe that if he were to leave, that Bob Stoops would make the phone call. He has maybe another 10 years left, and I honestly think this is still the job he wants.

I know this is a very old topic, but if Ferentz did leave, who thinks at this point that we would have a good shot at bringing back Bob Stoops? My understanding is that he interviewed back when Ferentz was hired, wanted the job, we waited too long, he gave us an ultimatum, and we declined so we could continue the interview process with other candidates, so he went to OU, then we hired Ferentz. Bobby was an All-American here. Wasn't his father buried in an Iowa uniform? Hasn't he said publicly that he would send his son to UI? Would he not love the challenge? I know he just signed a contract extension, but those can have "outs". OU is a more "storied" program, obviously, and has better recruiting bases, but he has already won a national championship there, and his heart is a hawkeye. I love KF, but if he had to go......imagine the headlines for our program if Stoops came back.

Last edited:
::Standard Jon Miller Warning:: Iowa football is one bad hire from becoming Minnesota.

New blood =\= better.

it is substantially more likely that a new head coach would be either worse or as good as Ferentz than it is likely they would be better than Ferentz. Iowa Football doesn't have the history or established success to take that gamble or to recover in the event it fails.

We're also one mediocre hire away from becoming Michigan State, which has put together some nice stretches but hasn't won a bowl since the 2001 Silicon Valley Classic.

I actually think the odds of landing a coach that is equal to or greater than Ferentz's level are 2:1 against, at best. Those guys aren't just floating around out there. We were spoiled when we went from Hayden to Ferentz with no hiccups. I'd feel more comfortable if it was someone with a history with the program, but in all likelihood we're going to encounter a rough patch at the next coaching change unless Bob Stoops walks through that door.

We're pretty much a 7-8 wins/yr. team under Ferentz if you look at his entire body of work. That's good enough for me and most Hawk fans. But let's not pretend like he's irreplaceable. The Mr. Davis references aren't valid here because he was forced out. No one is saying to do that to Ferentz. But life will go on if he leaves on his own accord.

I don't understand why people would want to get rid of Ferentz, sure he has his weaknesses but every coach does. Iowa has been in the National Championship, arguably two times, we've been to two BCS bowls, winning 1, we have two big ten championships under him and while they were shared, once was because of the rules.

We are a very, very good college football program right now. While we could be on par with what Alabama and LSU and Oregon are right now, the odds of getting someone who would take us to that level are really low and heck I would think the odds of getting a coach that would keep us on this level are low too.

Yeah, we have .500 years but not very many programs are 10 win programs and in BCS hunts every year. I mean, sure Iowa could be better but those are odds I don't want to play with.

I mean, we are kind of rebuilding now and it's not a stretch for us to challenge for the Big 10.

You lose Kirk, our chances of dropping to very mediocre are much higher than anything else.

I don't want KF to leave, but if he did, he is leaving a program that is in far better shape than the one that he inherited.

And I honestly believe that if he were to leave, that Bob Stoops would make the phone call. He has maybe another 10 years left, and I honestly think this is still the job he wants.

I disagree. Bob is not coming to Iowa. Mark on the other hand....

For those of you who think it is heretical to even entertain the notion of a change in Iowa football coaches, let me just ask you to answer the following:

1) In view of the emergence of Wisconsin, the entrance of Nebraska to the B1G and the perpetual dominance of tOSU (not to mention Iowa's recent troubles beating Northwestern and even Iowa State), what do you think the chances are of a Ferentz-coached team ever winning the conference championship outright?

2) What are the chances of a Ferentz-coached team ever competing in a BCS championship game?

I'm not advocating for a change of coaches. But I also would not feel it is the end of the world should Ferentz move to the NFL.

Latest posts