Early Start: Ferentz to the NFL talk Already Going On

The KC job would be enticing to Ferentz. K.C. has a lot of young talent, the division is rather weak right now. Would they pay him much more than what Iowa pays though?

That would certainly test Beilima's commitment to Wisconsin.

I'm sure the two Stoops brothers not named Bob would be involved as well. In any one of these three cases, I see no scenario that Long stays at Kansas and would become Iowa's new OC

Who else would be in the mix?

Also, for the record, I don't foresee Iowa actually having to go out and hire a new coach after this year, just an interesting conversation is all.

That's the only place I'd not be completely torqued off if he left for. It's also one of the few places I could see him going. Don't think it'll happen, though.

That's the only place I'd not be completely torqued off if he left for. It's also one of the few places I could see him going. Don't think it'll happen, though.

Ostrich.

If he has to go somewhere this would be my choice.

The real question, do you think he would give DJK a tryout?

Ostrich.

If he has to go somewhere this would be my choice.

The real question, do you think he would give DJK a tryout?

I dont think he would give DJK a shot but I do think Stanzi would be a solid second string possible starter after the year Cassel is having.

I know the NFL people love Ferentz, but KC fans would not be happy with that hire.

With all the injuries in KC I don't see em having the quick hook on Haley. Last season being as good as it was for em shoulda bought him one rough year. That said they should be better. I don't think Ferentz is leaving before James graduates period. I hope Ferentz retires a hawkeye but after that happens nothing would really suprise me.

Haley is not a good NFL head coach but I think Ferentz would be even worse. His strength is developing players over their five years on campus, not as a game day coach. There is a lot less emphasis on developing players in the NFL as you need guys that can play from day one in most cases. Ferentz is not a good clock manager to put it kindly, he's known for being extremely unflexible in both his offensive and defensive play calling. He's not good with the media and he gets very easy treatment from the media compared to what he would get in the NFL. He's also from the Belicheck coaching tree which has seen basically everyone of his former assistants flame out as a head coach. If I was a KC fan I would not want Ferentz as a coach unless he came on as an offensive line coach.

he had his chance to leave if he wanted to already. he's more than settled down here. would have to be a great situation for him to leave, he's not giving up the guarentee here for only a couple years in the NFL.

Haley is not a good NFL head coach but I think Ferentz would be even worse. His strength is developing players over their five years on campus, not as a game day coach. There is a lot less emphasis on developing players in the NFL as you need guys that can play from day one in most cases. Ferentz is not a good clock manager to put it kindly, he's known for being extremely unflexible in both his offensive and defensive play calling. He's not good with the media and he gets very easy treatment from the media compared to what he would get in the NFL. He's also from the Belicheck coaching tree which has seen basically everyone of his former assistants flame out as a head coach. If I was a KC fan I would not want Ferentz as a coach unless he came on as an offensive line coach.

I don't think you could be more wrong, IMO KF would be a heck of an NFL Coach.

That said I don't think KF is going anywhere.

I like the Captain and think he and Iowa are a good fit. That said, I wouldn't mind at all if he jumped to the NFL. There are times it feels like this program needs fresh energy, a new direction. A change could mean less success, but it could also mean more.

I like the Captain and think he and Iowa are a good fit. That said, I wouldn't mind at all if he jumped to the NFL. There are times it feels like this program needs fresh energy, a new direction. A change could mean less success, but it could also mean more.

Like Steve Alford?

Be careful what you wish for. We have a good thing going whether you realize it or not.

Player development is key to success in the NFL. You can't really build a team from free agency. It has to be through the draft, and as dynasties like the Patriots have shown, you really separate yourself with what you do with the 4th-7th round guys. That's Ferentz's M.O. There's a reason his name always comes up in these conversations and scheme guys like Oregon's coach don't.

Kirk Ferentz has about as good a relationship with the media-- local and national-- as any coach in college football. Yes, the pro media is completely different and much more adverserial. But you can't deny that the vast majority of local and national media members love the guy.

Last edited:

Latest posts