Dump the Des Moines Register!!!

Mr. Ryan won't like the smell of the can of worms he might have just opened.

The DMR could possibly have a case of tortious interefence with a business relationship.

This issue just keeps on gill-netting more people by the day.
That's a pretty big stretch. Typically there has to be a contract breached somewhere; what's your angle? (not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested in the angle you're coming at this from)

I don't see a huge difference between this and encouraging a boycott, which happens all the time.

We'll have to disagree. And I'm 100% fine with that.

Again, that's idealistic bullshit. Truth is relative to the person who's "deciding" for themselves if it's true or not. That's what makes debate over something like politics or religion so fucking stupid. It's a bunch of you knotheads in one place all thinking they have the "truth" figured out. Not only is it doltish to get involved in that kind of shit, it's hubristic to think your truth is "the one." You political airbags are in no way different than a room full of clergy who all think their man in the sky is the real man in the sky. You weirdos can't see the forest for the trees, though.

No fucking way will I get sucked into that. Not only is it boring and pointless, you're making the assumption that the crooks your advocating for really have citizen's well being and not their own personal power and gain in mind, whatever side they're on. Your college education isn't worth a squirt of piss if you emerged into adulthood thinking that whatever congressman or president you seem to admire is really looking out for you. Left, right, middle, and in between--the only thing I'd get behind is tossing them all in the river. So if you're asking who I agree with, Bill Shakespeare had that one right, I guess.

With all due respect, you wanting me to "change your mind" makes the assumption that I give a F what crook you support. Why don't you ask me to go into a prison and change your mind as to who your favorite serial killer is? Or maybe we can have a contest to see who can whisper the loudest. It's not physically possible for me to give a shit less what you think about politics. Just go do your hobby somewhere else where it's encouraged such as the link I posted for you. It makes the rest of us puke in our mouths a little bit

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

This is not a political forum. We are here to banter about a sports team, not your political beliefs. You know this. Follow the rules. There are plenty of other places on the internet for you to discuss politics. This is not the place.

Thank you. This is one of the very few places, online or real world where I can go and not have to hear about or see political bullshit.

That's a pretty big stretch. Typically there has to be a contract breached somewhere; what's your angle? (not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested in the angle you're coming at this from)

I don't see a huge difference between this and encouraging a boycott, which happens all the time.

I agree that he's doing something to drive business away, but the second part of tortious interference requires that there was some sort of contractual breach between two parties. Generally it wouldn't hold up if the plaintiff had to base it on some sort of implied contract or make something up that's seemingly far fetched.

My kid is in AAU basketball...I'm not arguing with the costs you bear for everything...it can get extensive and expensive. There is an entirely different objective though than what you discuss above. It's not about me reliving the glory days through my son...it's about him achieving and competing at something he loves. It's worth it for me to give him that opportunity. My kid didn't start on his sophomore team...but the growth has been incredible over the past two years. He's learned the value of hard work, perseverance, and that he can accomplish what he sets out to do if he's committed.

He's a bright kid who now has the opportunity to play at some high academic colleges. That was the goal for us...basketball is going to help him get into schools where he would have been borderline from a grades perspective...some of the best schools academically in the country. This is our NBA...and the job he gets when he gets out of school.

But what gets me is all that should be available without traveling 10 hours round-trip and forking out thousands per year. We (and I mean the 40-year olds and older on this site, like myself) all got those benefits, and we never had to leave our area. We did summer rec within our own towns when we were in elementary, maybe traveling to the next towns over from some little-league. When we got into middle school and HS, we did some team camps or summer leagues, but things were local and you were competing with your own school mates.

This thing we have now is out of control. And the worst of it is, because of the proliferation of the for-profit youth sports enterprise, there are now no alternatives. Everyone who wants to compete and work hard does the AAU/Travel thing, so there is no one left over to do the local summer league thing.

Honestly, I have no idea how I will deal with this as my kids get older. My gut instinct says the whole system is messed up, stay out of it. But what if your kid really wants to play, and this is the only option?

I sure don't want my kids to be lazy turds, but I don't think I would mind at all if they gravitated towards things like cross-country or track and field.

S'what I'm saying. I'm just hoping it exposes the cancel culture, grievance issue, SJW community for what it is.

I'm starting to feel most sorry for the reporter. He's just doing his job. The job he was taught and expected to do by archaic media companies that have decided to go head-to-head with technology entities instead of trying to reinvent themselves and still be relevant. And frankly, the Register has to fire him. Which sucks. He doesn't deserve to be. But they really have no moral standing to cancel the cancel culture at this point. Only way they can regain that is by nuking the bulk of their editorial staff.

For years, newspapers have looked like Blockbuster laughing at Netflix, refusing to believe that they need to radically alter their model into something new, and thinking they can somehow compete head on with entities arising from new technologies.
But what gets me is all that should be available without traveling 10 hours round-trip and forking out thousands per year. We (and I mean the 40-year olds and older on this site, like myself) all got those benefits, and we never had to leave our area. We did summer rec within our own towns when we were in elementary, maybe traveling to the next towns over from some little-league. When we got into middle school and HS, we did some team camps or summer leagues, but things were local and you were competing with your own school mates.

This thing we have now is out of control. And the worst of it is, because of the proliferation of the for-profit youth sports enterprise, there are now no alternatives. Everyone who wants to compete and work hard does the AAU/Travel thing, so there is no one left over to do the local summer league thing.

Honestly, I have no idea how I will deal with this as my kids get older. My gut instinct says the whole system is messed up, stay out of it. But what if your kid really wants to play, and this is the only option?

I sure don't want my kids to be lazy turds, but I don't think I would mind at all if they gravitated towards things like cross-country or track and field.

Track and Cross country are great sports too!!

You'll be okay.

There's an area in between lazy turd and spending over $100K for 6 years of AAU, hotels, flights, and driving every weekend, and losing a huge part of your childhood that you can't get back.

If your sticking your kid in AAU with the idea of paying for college via scholarships or doing it so he can get into some college, you're doing life wrong. If he/she can't get into a school because of grades but can play some sport there, do they really belong at that school anyway? I sure as hell wouldn't have belonged at an Ivy League school even if I was good enough to sneak in on a baseball scholarship.

There's something to be said for not being a one-sport athlete as a kid. Like trying other sports, having a social life, etc. I mean Jesus Christ, I don't let my son play USSSA because of the huge commitment, and even then the way things are now he doesn't have a spare minute between football, wrestling, basketball, track, baseball, math bees, and band. No way am I going to say ok dude, we're gonna drop everything and go nuts at baseball camps all fall/winter, then hit the road on tournaments from April till October, 'cause I wanna make sure you can get into Bubmblefuck University, okay?

I actually wish the kid come home from school once in a while and plop down to do nothing for a few hours.

You're doing the right thing with that mindset. Let your kids do what trips their triggers and don't sweat the scholarship, my kid needs to play AAU to get anywhere bullshit. I've been through that coaching, and you're far better off smelling as many roses as you can when your kids are young (so are they)

You'll be okay.

There's an area in between lazy turd and spending over $100K for 6 years of AAU, hotels, flights, and driving every weekend, and losing a huge part of your childhood that you can't get back.

If your sticking your kid in AAU with the idea of paying for college via scholarships or doing it so he can get into some college, you're doing life wrong. If he/she can't get into a school because of grades but can play some sport there, do they really belong at that school anyway? I sure as hell wouldn't have belonged at an Ivy League school even if I was good enough to sneak in on a baseball scholarship.

There's something to be said for not being a one-sport athlete as a kid. Like trying other sports, having a social life, etc. I mean Jesus Christ, I don't let my son play USSSA because of the huge commitment, and even then the way things are now he doesn't have a spare minute between football, wrestling, basketball, track, baseball, math bees, and band. No way am I going to say ok dude, we're gonna drop everything and go nuts at baseball camps all fall/winter, then hit the road on tournaments from April till October, 'cause I wanna make sure you can get into Bubmblefuck University, okay?

I actually wish the kid come home from school once in a while and plop down to do nothing for a few hours.

You're doing the right thing with that mindset. Let your kids do what trips their triggers and don't sweat the scholarship, my kid needs to play AAU to get anywhere bullshit. I've been through that coaching, and you're far better off smelling as many roses as you can when your kids are young (so are they)
I always feel awful for the siblings that aren’t on the team but lose every summer weekend and sometimes multiple week nights getting dragged to games, and often times because dad wants to live vicariously through his kids. Obviously not always, but it absolutely happens, and it’s unfortunate.

You'll be okay.

You know...I'm beginning to think you are kind of F'd up Fryowa. Has anyone ever said that to you before? I think part of the problem is that you make judgments without any knowledge of how things work.

For example, your comment: "If your sticking your kid in AAU with the idea of paying for college via scholarships or doing it so he can get into some college, you're doing life wrong."

Really? First of all, I didn't stick my kid in AAU...he wanted to do it...he loves the game. He pushed us to let him play year round. Do you know how many kids help pay for college this way? I guarantee you every Iowa Football player did all their training work in high school with the idea of getting a scholarship to play football. I'm sure all them attended camps to get specific coaching to help them. Did their parents do life wrong? No they didn't.

In my case, my kid will get into a great academic school and get to follow his passion and play basketball too. I'm confused about how that's doing life wrong?

Forget the Aaron Calvin crap for a second, what the DSM did was wrong. Something good was happening in our State and for the Children's Hospital and they crapped all over it. WHY? Because they felt it was their journalistic duty???

So they did a back ground check before this interview. The RIGHT thing to do would have been too inform Carson of his inappropriate tweets and allowed him to do something about it. There is not a single good reason to do what they did. What Carson did when he was 16 was wrong but he's obviously a good guy now, there was no reason to ruin this guys reputation after he had raised all that money for a good cause.

The crap on Aaron Calvin just makes it all worse. How irresponsible of him and the paper. You do background checks on people you interview but not on your own employees? Come on, be honest, you were looking for clicks and to sell papers and it backfired on you. They are getting what they deserve.

We'll have to disagree. And I'm 100% fine with that.

Again, that's idealistic bullshit. Truth is relative to the person who's "deciding" for themselves if it's true or not. That's what makes debate over something like politics or religion so fucking stupid. It's a bunch of you knotheads in one place all thinking they have the "truth" figured out. Not only is it doltish to get involved in that kind of shit, it's hubristic to think your truth is "the one." You political airbags are in no way different than a room full of clergy who all think their man in the sky is the real man in the sky. You weirdos can't see the forest for the trees, though.

No fucking way will I get sucked into that. Not only is it boring and pointless, you're making the assumption that the crooks your advocating for really have citizen's well being and not their own personal power and gain in mind, whatever side they're on. Your college education isn't worth a squirt of piss if you emerged into adulthood thinking that whatever congressman or president you seem to admire is really looking out for you. Left, right, middle, and in between--the only thing I'd get behind is tossing them all in the river. So if you're asking who I agree with, Bill Shakespeare had that one right, I guess.

With all due respect, you wanting me to "change your mind" makes the assumption that I give a F what crook you support. Why don't you ask me to go into a prison and change your mind as to who your favorite serial killer is? Or maybe we can have a contest to see who can whisper the loudest. It's not physically possible for me to give a shit less what you think about politics. Just go do your hobby somewhere else where it's encouraged such as the link I posted for you. It makes the rest of us puke in our mouths a little bit

Congratulations. I think you've offended more groups in one post than anyone else ever has. Wow, tell us how you really feel.

The only good thing the DM Register does is sponsor RAGBRAI, and they stumbled into that one 45 years ago.

The DMR has been owned by non-local entities like USA Today and whoever owns USA Today for what 20+ years or more. I dumped the DMR many, many years ago after they started purging their best reporters to try to make more $$$$ instead of get really good news in their paper.

My wife looks at the paper online free through the Library I believe and it is not a very thick paper anymore. When I have looked through it recently at let's say a doctor's office or some place it is amazing how gutted the paper is. Yes the loss of the Big Peach was terrible but there hasnt been a very in-depth metro or statewide reporting presence for years.

And this current report seems very cheap on the part of an editor to let go into print.

The one good thing about the DM Register is the Sunday edition's crossword. Takes about an hour to do. But I wouldn't buy a "newspaper" just for the crossword.

My oldest started playing youth soccer at the age of five in 2003 and my youngest finished up his last year of youth baseball this past July. That's seventeen summers of watching my kids, nieces, nephews and others play pre-high school baseball, softball and soccer.

I've seen a lot of d bag parents in seventeen years. Sometimes you want to just go knock them upside the head. Or tell them to at least shut up. And sober off while you're at it.

BTW my position was first base. I didn't have the arm to play outfield at the high school level so they stuck me where all the pus arms end up. I did have a good glove around first however and would have had no problem scooping ten consecutive throws out of the dirt.:)

D-bag parents story:

My oldest was playing baseball since he was 7 (he's now 38). He was a decent pitcher and shortstop, even though he's as tall as I am at 6'7". When he was 7, though he was the best player on his 7-8-9 year old team. He pitched and played shortstop. He did everything the coach asked and then some. He asked to catch batting practice toward the end of the season, and put on the gear. The coach was amazed that he was so good at catcher. Then, one kid with a temper couldn't lay down a bunt (they had to lay down two bunts before they could swing away). The third missed bunt hit my son in the chest protector and he immediately popped off the mask and went after the ball. The kid who missed the bunt swung the bat in frustration and hit my son in the mouth - he lost both of his front teeth and has caps to this day. We took him to the dentist and he seemed OK, in some pain but OK. The next game (my son wouldn't have missed a game unless he had a broken leg), the very first words out of the mouths of the kid's parents? "You can't sue us". Really? Not "How's your son? Is he OK?" Yeah, real d-bags. While I'm friends with that coach to this day, I couldn't get my son away from that kid and his family fast enough.

Mr. Ryan won't like the smell of the can of worms he might have just opened.

The DMR could possibly have a case of tortious interefence with a business relationship.

This issue just keeps on gill-netting more people by the day.

60,000 subscribers in a state with roughly 1.149M households. Roughly 5% of homes in Iowa get the Rag.

Latest posts