Dump the Des Moines Register!!!

didn’t realize that the reporter was found to have indiscriminate tweets in his past too. Be careful where you dig. Very unfortunate that AB has disassociated themselves with Carson. Kid owned up to and apologized for his stupidity in a very adult way.

I just thank gawd all of this social media stuff didn't exist when I was 16, over 30 years ago.

D-bag parents story:

My oldest was playing baseball since he was 7 (he's now 38). He was a decent pitcher and shortstop, even though he's as tall as I am at 6'7". When he was 7, though he was the best player on his 7-8-9 year old team. He pitched and played shortstop. He did everything the coach asked and then some. He asked to catch batting practice toward the end of the season, and put on the gear. The coach was amazed that he was so good at catcher. Then, one kid with a temper couldn't lay down a bunt (they had to lay down two bunts before they could swing away). The third missed bunt hit my son in the chest protector and he immediately popped off the mask and went after the ball. The kid who missed the bunt swung the bat in frustration and hit my son in the mouth - he lost both of his front teeth and has caps to this day. We took him to the dentist and he seemed OK, in some pain but OK. The next game (my son wouldn't have missed a game unless he had a broken leg), the very first words out of the mouths of the kid's parents? "You can't sue us". Really? Not "How's your son? Is he OK?" Yeah, real d-bags. While I'm friends with that coach to this day, I couldn't get my son away from that kid and his family fast enough.
Please tell us you didn’t take the high ground and told them to stick those sticks a little further up their asses, and that maybe their child wouldn’t be a little POS if his parents weren’t such terrible people.

didn’t realize that the reporter was found to have indiscriminate tweets in his past too. Be careful where you dig. Very unfortunate that AB has disassociated themselves with Carson. Kid owned up to and apologized for his stupidity in a very adult way.

Go look up the stuff that "reporter" wrote. He has locked his Twitter account, but plenty of screenshots were made if you look for them.

That's a pretty big stretch. Typically there has to be a contract breached somewhere; what's your angle? (not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested in the angle you're coming at this from)

I don't see a huge difference between this and encouraging a boycott, which happens all the time.

I agree that it might be a stretch - 10 or 20 years ago but in today's climate you just never know. My main point is that why would a person even want to get that close to the edge. If sued you never know what kind of judge will be presiding. It's really a good time in history to be a "gray man".

According to what I've read there can be just a business relationship as well. I'm thinking a court would see a newspaper subscription as a business relationship. (It also looks like a subscription checks off most if not all of the necessary elements of a contract.)

It seems there is a big difference between someone encouraging a boycott and someone offering a monetary incentive to sever said business relationship.(Albeit the incentive is going to a third party.)

I agree that it might be a stretch - 10 or 20 years ago but in today's climate you just never know. My main point is that why would a person even want to get that close to the edge. If sued you never know what kind of judge will be presiding. It's really a good time in history to be a "gray man".

According to what I've read there can be just a business relationship as well. I'm thinking a court would see a newspaper subscription as a business relationship. (It also looks like a subscription checks off most if not all of the necessary elements of a contract.)

It seems there is a big difference between someone encouraging a boycott and someone offering a monetary incentive to sever said business relationship.(Albeit the incentive is going to a third party.)

A newspaper subscription is a contract that offers the subscriber the right to terminate for convenience at any time. Terminating for convenience is not a breach. Tortious interference requires an inducement to breach a contract. That is not happening here.

Even if the DMR could assert a prima facie case for tortious interference under a business expectancy theory, they would never be able to prove damages, so they would win nominal damages of something like $1 or $100. Not worth it.

60,000 subscribers in a state with roughly 1.149M households. Roughly 5% of homes in Iowa get the Rag.

Wow. I'm not in the newspaper business but 5% seems like a terrible number for a paper put out in the state capitol. I wonder what the numbers are for other states?

Was there another point you were trying to make that I missed?

We'll have to disagree. And I'm 100% fine with that.

Again, that's idealistic bullshit. Truth is relative to the person who's "deciding" for themselves if it's true or not. That's what makes debate over something like politics or religion so fucking stupid. It's a bunch of you knotheads in one place all thinking they have the "truth" figured out. Not only is it doltish to get involved in that kind of shit, it's hubristic to think your truth is "the one." You political airbags are in no way different than a room full of clergy who all think their man in the sky is the real man in the sky. You weirdos can't see the forest for the trees, though.

No fucking way will I get sucked into that. Not only is it boring and pointless, you're making the assumption that the crooks your advocating for really have citizen's well being and not their own personal power and gain in mind, whatever side they're on. Your college education isn't worth a squirt of piss if you emerged into adulthood thinking that whatever congressman or president you seem to admire is really looking out for you. Left, right, middle, and in between--the only thing I'd get behind is tossing them all in the river. So if you're asking who I agree with, Bill Shakespeare had that one right, I guess.

With all due respect, you wanting me to "change your mind" makes the assumption that I give a F what crook you support. Why don't you ask me to go into a prison and change your mind as to who your favorite serial killer is? Or maybe we can have a contest to see who can whisper the loudest. It's not physically possible for me to give a shit less what you think about politics. Just go do your hobby somewhere else where it's encouraged such as the link I posted for you. It makes the rest of us puke in our mouths a little bit
11g6ch.jpg

...sorry, I can't stop laughing!

I think labeling referring to a joke you heard on tv as "stupidity" is kinda stupid. Humor changes over they years. That's why a lot of old comedy stuff isn't very funny anymore. It's not relatable to today's society. I can get on board with an opinion that Tosh.0 isnt as funny now as it was 8 years ago. But 8 years ago it was fricking hilarious. It wasn't a "mistake" or "stupidity" to find it funny back then.

As far as writing about it on social media goes, it's only a bad idea in hindsight. I dont think anyone could have predicted the world would turn like this. The good news is, we are in a learning curve with how to deal with past social media posts. The cancel culture will loosen up after enough really good people fall on the sword for us. Stories like this one will help speed up the cause. I bet in a few more years, past posts will be a little bit more accepted.

Wow. I'm not in the newspaper business but 5% seems like a terrible number for a paper put out in the state capitol. I wonder what the numbers are for other states?

Was there another point you were trying to make that I missed?

When I saw the 60,000 number I was just curious and did the math. I'd wager that 20 years ago it was a whole lot higher...30 years ago even more so. The shift from electronic to print media combined with a lousy product is a killer.

I delivered the Register for a short time as a kid, I won't say every house got it but it sure seemed like it.

Latest posts