DUKE - sociology experiment

ICAlumni

Serious question...

It seems like Duke is continually full of d-bag players that I can't stand even looking at... watching them whine on screen, complain about every call and flop just drives me insane.

Today, for the first time I listed them and noted something...

They are all white.

So I tried to think of a minority player from the coach K era I felt that way about and couldn't think of one. I could think of lots of them that I liked however.

What the heck is this all about?

Am I nuts or does anyone else feel the same way?

Hate with a passion: SINGLER (may be the worst ever for me), the Plumlees, Collins, Reddick, WoJo, Hurley, Laettner...

Respected quite a bit: Nolan Smith, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng...

Consequently, i'm a 38 year old middle class white kid from IC.

Serious question...

It seems like Duke is continually full of d-bag players that I can't stand even looking at... watching them whine on screen, complain about every call and flop just drives me insane.

Today, for the first time I listed them and noted something...

They are all white.

So I tried to think of a minority player from the coach K era I felt that way about and couldn't think of one. I could think of lots of them that I liked however.

What the heck is this all about?

Am I nuts or does anyone else feel the same way?

Hate with a passion: SINGLER (may be the worst ever for me), the Plumlees, Collins, Reddick, WoJo, Hurley, Laettner...

Respected quite a bit: Nolan Smith, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng...

Consequently, i'm a 38 year old middle class white kid from IC.

I had a (white) roommate in college that, unrealizingly, hated all white basketball players. I don't know why. I pointed it out on a number of occassions, but he would deny it, despite its truth to an objective observer.

He didn't hate white football players, boxers, baseball players, etc. It was just basketball players and when commenting on why he did not like a particular player, he cited many of the same reasons that you did above.

I don't know why this was, but he was entirely consistent with regard to his dislike of white basketball players.

Can you name any white basketball players you like? That don't play for Iowa.

EDIT: I think that's a trick question because I can only think of white players names that play for Duke.

Last edited:
I had a (white) roommate in college that, unrealizingly, hated all white basketball players. I don't know why. I pointed it out on a number of occassions, but he would deny it, despite its truth to an objective observer.

He didn't hate white football players, boxers, baseball players, etc. It was just basketball players and when commenting on why he did not like a particular player, he cited many of the same reasons that you did above.

I don't know why this was, but he was entirely consistent with regard to his dislike of white basketball players.

I am one of those white guys who also hates most white basketball players. Duke is my least favorite team besides Nebraska because they are normally the epitome of white boy ball.

I have no idea how this hate came about but its probably because I play the same way they do.

I am one of those white guys who also hates most white basketball players. Duke is my least favorite team besides Nebraska because they are normally the epitome of white boy ball.

I have no idea how this hate came about but its probably because I play the same way they do.

Iowa may have a very "white heavy" roster if some rumored commits come through along with Oglesby and White (no pun intended). Will you hate the Hawks?

Iowa may have a very "white heavy" roster if some rumored commits come through along with Oglesby and White (no pun intended). Will you hate the Hawks?

Of course not. It is not all white players, it is just the type that they get. They get the suburban kids that I cannot stand like Wojo, JJ, and Schuyer. I love Jimmer and loved Adam Morrison but it is just something about the guys that go to Duke.

I used to really dislike Coach K as well but I have changed my opinion after what he has done with USA Basketball.

Of course not. It is not all white players, it is just the type that they get. They get the suburban kids that I cannot stand like Wojo, JJ, and Schuyer. I love Jimmer and loved Adam Morrison but it is just something about the guys that go to Duke.

I used to really dislike Coach K as well but I have changed my opinion after what he has done with USA Basketball.

Fair enough. I'm no Duke fan either but I don't hate them like I used to. Probably because I hate Roy more.

Fair enough. I'm no Duke fan either but I don't hate them like I used to. Probably because I hate Roy more.

I hate duke cause their HC is a whiny cry baby who is in the refs pants gamely getting his teams all the calls all the fing time.

So my wife and I talked about this at dinner....
By the way... nice call on Scheyer... forgot him... also annoying as hell.

No idea if this is why but it's my first attempt at reasoning through it:

I hate the white guys Duke gets because they generally seem like they are overly-privileged whiny jocks who have been treated with kid gloves their whole lives. I feel like they act smug and holier than thou all the time... I feel like this about Duke in general but especially about those players in the original post.

In regards to their minority players, maybe coach K goes out and gets the most quality guys he can find. Not that other coaches don't try - many do, many don't... but it seems like K excels at this. He gets guys of really good character and it shows. I mean - have you heard Jason Williams and Battier speak? Those guys sound like they are on the debate team and I remember when people talked about Battier being the kind of guy that could run for president some day. I'm not saying this because you assume minority athletes will be thugs... they aren't... but just that Duke, more than anyone really seems to get athletes of good character.

I don't know... love talking about this though, and like hearing what you guys think.

I hate the white guys Duke gets because they generally seem like they are overly-privileged whiny jocks who have been treated with kid gloves their whole lives. I feel like they act smug and holier than thou all the time... I feel like this about Duke in general but especially about those players in the original post.

In regards to their minority players, maybe coach K goes out and gets the most quality guys he can find. Not that other coaches don't try - many do, many don't... but it seems like K excels at this. He gets guys of really good character and it shows. I mean - have you heard Jason Williams and Battier speak? Those guys sound like they are on the debate team and I remember when people talked about Battier being the kind of guy that could run for president some day. I'm not saying this because you assume minority athletes will be thugs... they aren't... but just that Duke, more than anyone really seems to get athletes of good character.

I don't know... love talking about this though, and like hearing what you guys think.

I actually liked Redick. Cocky, but I don't mind that in a guy if he backs it up (and Redick almost always did). And easily the best shooter I've ever gotten to watch play in college. I also liked Paulus. After that, I just don't care for the white players. They do seem to fit that d-bag description, at least on the floor.

But the guys like Williams, Battier, etc. are some of my favorite college players of all time. I REALLY like Nolan Smith. Kid is a gamer.

There was a former Duke player who discussed their team's animosity and its relation to the white players on the team. I'm pretty sure it was Shane Battier.

With all due respect, how can you tell if somebody has been treated with kid gloves based on a basketball game?

I can understand the smug comment, because that is an attitude that can be displayed by the person himself and interpreted by the viewer, but how can you tell how somebody has been treated by third persons based on a basketball game?

Last edited:
So to sum up this thread: People hate Duke because they get attention. Says a lot more about you than it does about Duke.

haters_gonna_hate.gif

Jason Williams!
Former Duke PG and whiney, crybaby ego maniac extraordinaire.
Shane Battie was king of the flop.

That said, I dont hate Duke. Nor do I hate white basketball players.
Jimmer Fredette is a lot of fun to watch. As was Larry Bird, John Stockton and several others.

I cant stand how ugly they are. Ryan Kelly's mug is unbearable, Singler looks like someone's mom from a distant planet, the Plumlee's are just annoying as *hit, Curry looks like a little animal that is living in big brother's shadow. Not to mention I got moles on my back that are bigger than Nolan Smith's ears.

I cant stand how ugly they are. Ryan Kelly's mug is unbearable, Singler looks like someone's mom from a distant planet, the Plumlee's are just annoying as *hit, Curry looks like a little animal that is living in big brother's shadow. Not to mention I got moles on my back that are bigger than Nolan Smith's ears.

And now we have morphed from childish jealousy to pathetic name-calling. Calling them ugly? Really? What's next, are you going to claim that your dad can beat up the Plumlee's dad? They momma so fat?

Haters-Gonna-Hate-Slaters-Gonna-Slate.jpg

Latest posts