Due to possible NCAA violation, Iowa should...

ridiculous story ... no, kids, you can't go out in the hallway and say hi to the movie stars

Harrison Barnes:

The Harrison Barnes Diary: Official visit to UNC | 2K Sports Presents High School Hoop Powered by Dime

The UNC alumni game was that weekend, so before the game I got to get up a few shots with the players. We ate, and then we started the pregame festivities. I got to meet Michael Jordan and Dean Smith. That was a great experience because Michael was one of my favorite players ever to play the game.
I honestly didn't even realize that this was a violation. I said this on another board, but I feel half the stories you read about these recruiting visits include some line about "I got to meet Random Pro Athlete Alumni".

Last edited:
This ticks me off. From the same article....

Then we went out for the alumni game and the place was packed. Just to see guys like Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison playing with guys that just came out of college like Danny Green, Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington … it was just cool to see how they interacted with each other.

and...

After that we went to a team tailgate in the practice gym. There were a lot of parents of the players there and Coach Williams and we all ate together so it was real cool. A lot of the pro guys were there, too, and I got a chance to talk with them about their experiences. Like Vince Carter, you could tell he missed it and he really loves Carolina. He was real aggressive about why I should want to go to Carolina. I got to meet George Karl, Larry Brown… There were a lot of really important people from there that I got to meet.

and...

The next morning I went to eat breakfast at Coach Williams’ house. That was real cool! I saw his North Carolina room and all the accolades that he had gotten over the years. That was a lot of fun. Then I had a meeting with an academic advisor. They showed me what my schedule would look like if I came there. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I thought this was the issue Bruce Pearl originally got in trouble with, having recruits come to his house?

Can someone explain this?

That's some damning stuff there...what are we looking at? 3? 4 years of probation and no post-season? Which really wouldn't hurt for a couple of years anyway...

Read the rest of the article, the worst consequences are for the worst cases and this is by no means close to that definition, especially because the University is taking the proactive stance they have taken....

I think the stuff on Barnes visit was during an official visit. I think it's legal

Interesting to nite how quickly the NCAA sent a letter to Iowa. The pics were taken on 9/11 and Iowa was contacted by the NCAA on 9/15

My guess is the recruiting site that contacted Ogelsby heard this, then alerting the coaching staff of the team they cover and that staff contacted the NCAA. No way is the NCAA watching close enough to send out a letter that close to the contact without someone sending them the links to the Twitter pic and interview.

Also there are no rivals and scout stories published on Josh at that time. So it was probably someone interviewing either Marcus or a couple other Iowa kids that were also there that weekend. Will probably never find out who tipped the NCAA of this heinous crime but I have my guesses

Last edited:
Harrison Barnes:

The Harrison Barnes Diary: Official visit to UNC | 2K Sports Presents High School Hoop Powered by Dime

I honestly didn't even realize that this was a violation. I said this on another board, but I feel half the stories you read about these recruiting visits include some line about "I got to meet Random Pro Athlete Alumni".

HB was on an "Official visit", where as these two were on an "Unofficial visit", apparently that makes a difference. Plus UNC apparently "employs" MJ as some kind of embassador to avoid such NCAA mix ups.

I think the stuff on Barnes visit was during an official visit. I think it's legal

Interesting to nite how quickly the NCAA sent a letter to Iowa. The pics were taken on 9/11 and Iowa was contacted by the NCAA on 9/15

My guess is the recruiting site that contacted Ogelsby heard this, then alerting the coaching staff of the team they cover and that staff contacted the NCAA. No way is the NCAA watching close enough to send out a letter that close to the contact without someone sending them the links to the Twitter pic and interview.

Also there are no rivals and scout stories published on Josh at that time. So it was probably someone interviewing either Marcus or a couple other Iowa kids that were also there that weekend. Will probably never find out who tipped the NCAA of this heinous crime but I have my guesses

word is those two had pics, posts, and tweets all about how excited they were to meet celebs (I use the word celeb very losely with kutcher) at the football game. so the info was out there for anyone to find and run with.

It was probably those jealous cyclone fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that I heard KCRG report that it was first reported in an interview with Oglesby and an Illinois website.

Latest posts