Doyle Put on Paid Administrative Leave Pending External Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobHowe

Administrator
Press Release from UI:

Statement From Iowa Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz

This is a defining moment for the Iowa Hawkeye football program.

Over the past 24 hours I have seen some difficult and heartbreaking posts on social media. I appreciate the former players' candor and have been reaching out to many of them individually to hear more about their experiences in our program. I am planning on talking to all of them in the coming days. This is a process that will take some time, but change begins by listening first.

Many of the discussions have centered around our strength and conditioning program and coach Chris Doyle. I have spoken with him about the allegations posted on social media. They are troubling and have created a lasting impact on those players. Therefore, coach Doyle has been placed on administrative leave immediately while there is an independent review. He and I agree that all parties will have their voices heard and then a decision about how to move forward will be made.

There has been a call for a cultural shift in our program. Therefore, I am creating an advisory committee, chaired by a former player and made up of current and former players as well as department staff. This will be a diverse group that will be able to share without judgement so we can all examine where we are today and how we can have a better environment tomorrow.

Football is a game of discipline and sacrifice. In our program there are high standards and accountability - we have a good team of players, coaches and staff members. But it is clear we can do more to create a welcoming and respectful environment where every player can grow, develop and become the best version of himself.

As I told the team earlier this week - I am a white football coach. Teaching is what I do best. But it is also important to know when to be the student.

Several days ago the players asked permission to post on social media so they could participate in the national discussion around injustice, racism and inequality. As a team we agreed last Thursday to lift the longstanding ban of players on social media and so you will be seeing them enter the now broader conversation.

These are painful times. As a leader you can learn a lot by listening but then you must take action. Finally, I told the team that change begins with us, but truly change begins with me.

Statement from Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair

I’m concerned about the recent comments being voiced by several former Hawkeye football players on social media. It is important that we reach out and listen to both current and former student-athletes. We must be willing to improve and change.

I have been in contact with both Kirk Ferentz and Chris Doyle during the last 24 hours. Kirk and I have agreed to place Coach Doyle on immediate paid administrative leave and begin an independent external review of the program. Assistant football Strength and Conditioning Coach Raimond Braithwaithe will assume leadership of the Iowa football Strength and Conditioning program during this period.

In 2018 we established the UI Athletic Diversity Task force to specifically address African American male student-athletes graduation rates. As part of the process, the task force interviewed current and former student-athletes to better understand our department’s

climate towards diversity and the experiences of student-athletes. It was evident at that time we needed to improve as a department. While we have taken several steps to address these issues, there is more to do.

Ultimately, our success will be defined by our actions. Our greatest victory won’t be found on a box score but a willingness to speak out against racism, and to make sure every student-athlete, coach, and staff member feel safe, supported, and that they have a voice that is empowered.

Bravo. Say what you will about KF's coaching ability. I truly believe he's a good man and strives to do the right thing in all situations. He's admitted where he's made mistakes in the past and he'll take responsibility now. That's the sign of a true leader. You know damn well how loyal KF is to the people he works with...this wasn't easy I'm sure...but he's moving in the right direction.

Three obvious observations:

1. Coach's son Brian was also implicated but once again faces no discipline (like after destroying a visiting team's pressbox during a profanity laden temper tantrum a few years back).

2. Coach Doyle makes something like $3,000 PER DAY and his punishment thus far is paid leave? If we could all be so lucky.

3. The solution is not "forming a committee." We already had a committee in place. We also had a former player liaison who's entire job was to understand the pulse of the players and make sure none of these issues ever festered. Why is that former player still employed?

1. Coach's son Brian was also implicated but once again faces no discipline (like after destroying a visiting team's pressbox during a profanity laden temper tantrum a few years back).

2. Coach Doyle makes something like $3,000 PER DAY and his punishment thus far is paid leave? If we could all be so lucky.

3. The solution is not "forming a committee." We already had a committee in place. We also had a former player liaison who's entire job was to understand the pulse of the players and make sure none of these issues ever festered. Why is that former player still employed?
Terrible attitude. It has to start somewhere. None of the criticism is of KF himself. Any leader has to trust and support subordinates to do the job. If he receives no feedback from former players or current players, it is difficult to know there is a problem. I haven't seen reports of former players having a problem other than those who transfered or were down the depth chart. So KF has responded to the concerns by:
1. Reaching out directly to the players first (no denying or calling fake news)
2. Listening to their concerns and offering that its time to look in the mirror
3. Creating immediate opportunities for the players affected and current players to have a safe voice to express their concerns
4. Suspending a coach who is an American citizen with a right to due process

None of that cures it or solves it. But its the first step. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Gaslighting doesn't help.

How about we all STFU and see what KF ultimately decides to do, then level our judgments. He has been running a program for 20+ years without a hint of dishonest actions, with players singing his praises, with players returning to the Hawkeye family, with players’ parents supportive, and consistently good solid recruiting, which would not be likely to occur if pervasive racist activity was present. Anyone who doubts his sincere thoughts on addressing this serious, embarrassing issue better look at his overall performance with a close eye on his consistent actions as a good human being. End of rant except to say if we have become a society of trial by twitter, we are in line for #1 in the world of idiocy. MIT study, cited by Time magazine this month...”70% of the Twitter posts are more likely to be false rather than true.” So be careful. Thank you.

Terrible attitude. It has to start somewhere. None of the criticism is of KF himself. Any leader has to trust and support subordinates to do the job. If he receives no feedback from former players or current players, it is difficult to know there is a problem. I haven't seen reports of former players having a problem other than those who transfered or were down the depth chart. So KF has responded to the concerns by:
3. Creating immediate opportunities for the players affected and current players to have a safe voice to express their concerns

None of that cures it or solves it. But its the first step. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Gaslighting doesn't help.

Thank you, thank you. A voice of reason, well articulated, on a very serious topic. Right there with you, Proud Hawk!

I do wonder if Doyle is big enough of a scalp to get the ex-players happy. I think someone else will have to go, not sure who. Maybe Brian? I still am not sure KF survives this. This is 2020 not 1982. The days of the god like head coach figure are gone. The twitter mob doesn’t accept apologies.

I will say the Kirk needs to hire only black coaches going forward. That’s the only way out of this mess, the only way to get recruits.

What does due process have to do with anything? He’s not being prosecuted for a crime.

I don’t know why KF wouldn’t survive this. Not a single complaint has been towards him. A lot of the players specifically stated KF isn’t the problem.

My concern for KF is if he knew about these comments prior to this week and didn't investigate this further at that time. No coach wants to bring negative attention to their program.

The key words in your 2nd point are "thus far". Thanks to social media and 24-hour news channels, nobody has any patience. Why can't we wait to see how this plays out?

This is beginning to look like the Missouri template. Ask yourselves "who benefits from all of this"? Hint - it isn't the former athletes.

Not sure of your meaning in #4. Are you saying Doyle has been suspended without his due process? Doyle shouldnt be suspended yet? I think private businesses and especially public institutions can suspend someone with cause and I expect there is language in employee employment contracts that covers this type of action.

I don’t know why KF wouldn’t survive this. Not a single complaint has been towards him. A lot of the players specifically stated KF isn’t the problem.
Wrong. Jaleel Johnson said he was called in to the office by KF to ask him where he got his Camaro when there were other white players with more expensive vehicles who never got quizzed.

Another player got the same thing when he drove a BMW.

There have been complaints from players about KF on Twitter. Not as many as Doyle and BF, but there have been.

Iowa is an at-will employment state. You can legally be fired for any reason under the sun as long as it doesn’t fall under a discriminatory category. They could fire Doyle because they didn’t like how he tied his shoes and still be legal. Plus he’s getting paid right now.

Due process is something that’s required when you’re charged with a crime so that your constitutional rights don’t get violated. None of that applies in this case.

Let’s not get all dramatic here and act like Doyle was randomly thrown in prison by the governor or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts