Doyel again: Iowa player's kidney function below 40%

His source sounds so reliable. People like this find one controversey and then move onto the next. Iowa has done a lot wrong in this situation, but people like him just make it seem like the sky is falling and world is about to end. He is trying to make a name for himself like every other blogger on the freakin internet. People are going to read stories that don't stir up some kind of controversey. In a week this DB will find something new to lock onto and sink his teeth into that. Its hard being a hawkeye fan right now, but i'm sure we will get through this.

A relative of the player isn't reliable. Get a clue man.

Do you know who Doyle is? His name is already HUGE. He doesn't need this to make his name big

This is actually why I hate Twitter and other social media. Very easy to get out there with a quick hit with virtually no authentication or verification, or context. How does Doyel know that who he's talking to really is a relative of a player, and not, say, Ron Zook? How does he know that even if this is a relative, the person really knows what they're talking about? How many times have pranksters punked mainstream media?

Not like Doyel doesn't have ax to grind here, either. He seemed to jump on this story with a lot of heat yesterday, and Iowa fans responded with a bunch of nasty notes, which only seemed to get him going more and firing back. So I don't think he's going to be willing to write much positive about the Hawkeyes, whatever comes of this.

Iowa's in a difficult spot here in terms of what can be released. Full transparency would clear away a lot of the wild speculation and perhaps shut up people like Doyel and Mandel. But I'm not sure that's possible in view of HPPA, other confidentiality regulations and now the investigation to compile the 90-day report requested by the Regents.

Last edited:
Did Doyle ask this player's relative why the player was so out of shape to begin with? If you're playing D1 football, you can't just lay around and drink all break.

A relative of the player isn't reliable. Get a clue man.

Do you know who Doyle is? His name is already HUGE. He doesn't need this to make his name big

Yeah, we know who Doyle is... :)

I've never heard of this Doyel guy before, though. ;)

I just find it hard to believe that, of all people you could talk to if you were a relative of one of the players, you would choose Doyel....

You mean Doyel? and I had never heard of this guy until yesterday.

He has written for CBS sports for a long time and has a lot of followers. Usually b/c they hate him but he has followers still. I don't like him but I think him talking to a family member is more credible than anything else we have heard

Did Doyle ask this player's relative why the player was so out of shape to begin with? If you're playing D1 football, you can't just lay around and drink all break.

So all 13 were out of shape? See this is the thing that bothers me and I posted a thread shortly after the announcement. I can see 2 or maybe 3 players being reported for this condition but we talking about 13 players. That IMO is just whacky..

Getting admitted is one thing ...

... finding that the insurance company lets someone stay more than 48 hours is quite noteworthy in itself.

p.s. it is spelled HIPAA.

He has written for CBS sports for a long time and has a lot of followers. Usually b/c they hate him but he has followers still. I don't like him but I think him talking to a family member is more credible than anything else we have heard

I think Mr poggi's comments were far more credible than an unnamed relative (could be a 2nd cousin for all we know)

I honestly had never heard of this guy before yesterday.

So all 13 were out of shape? See this is the thing that bothers me and I posted a thread shortly after the announcement. I can see 2 or maybe 3 players being reported for this condition but we talking about 13 players. That IMO is just whacky..

So All 13 had this condition? See this is the thing that bother me...

Yeah, I gotta think this is ********. If I was a parent of one of these kids, the last person I would call would be Doyel. If I am unhappy, I would probably tell the DMR. It would get picked up faster/spread further if I told them...
Just for arguments sake, if you were not from Iowa and say another state, I doubt you would call the Des Moines Register. I do agree that Doyel is an idiot though and I wouldn't believe a word he says.

GFR is the measure of kidney function. If it is Rhabo and they have treated it it most probably a temporary condition.

I still think there are some unnamed susbstances being used here that in addition to the intense workouts caused this. It is not a bad thing to have a review of the workout/conditioning/vitamin approaches if you have this many kids getting sick.

GFR is the measure of kidney function. If it is Rhabo and they have treated it it most probably a temporary condition.

I still think there are some unnamed susbstances being used here that in addition to the intense workouts caused this. It is not a bad thing to have a review of the workout/conditioning/vitamin approaches if you have this many kids getting sick.

If in fact all 13 players are suffering from Rhabo (which i will beleive when i see reported) it would almost have to a source greater than multiple tough workouts.

FWIW- He is the guy that broke the D1 Scheduling story (non story) that ultimately got Wayne Morgan fired. Just like this, he threw out a ton of innuendo with no factual proof.

That Carl Winslow look alike was a ****** basketball coach that ISU was looking for any reason to fire. When your coach's next job after a coaching at BCS level school is selling air conditioners, that should tell you what kind of a coach you had.

Last edited:

Latest posts