Down 9 and going for 2

If I had the ball late in the game I would ALWAYS want to be within 1 score. Under NO circumstance would I want to be down 2 scores. This is the very basic premise that Sean Payton understood and many on here understand. If there is 15 minutes left I kick the XP, if there is 5 minutes left I kick the XP, if there 2:53 seconds left Sean Payton and I both kick the XP, if there is 1 minute left I kick the XP. You take the easiest points you can get to get to a 1 possession game.

For the millionth time. An 8 point game doesn't mean you will tie it with one possession. You will tie it less than half the time.

If you say you can tie a 9 point game in one possession 0% of the time, I seriously might puke.

"I don't want to take a 50/50 chance now because I might not get that same 50/50 chance later". Good logic.

FYI the horse is dead, was made into dog food, canned, your dog ate it and took a dump in your yard.

People call a 7 point deficit and a 8 point deficit a "1 possession game".

PCHawk has repeatedly said these two are very different. To tie the game on one possession with an 8 point deficit is a lot less successful then a 7 point deficit. Obviously?

But that is like rocket science apparently. To understand where he goes from would be like a cure for cancer.

People call a 7 point deficit and a 8 point deficit a "1 possession game".

PCHawk has repeatedly said these two are very different. To tie the game on one possession with an 8 point deficit is a lot less successful then a 7 point deficit. Obviously?

But that is like rocket science apparently. To understand where he goes from would be like a cure for cancer.

I'm so tired of reading "if we miss the 2 point conversion and are down 9, we have no shot". What the hell happens when you miss the 2 point conversion at the end? You have no shot.

I'm so tired of reading "if we miss the 2 point conversion and are down 9, we have no shot". What the hell happens when you miss the 2 point conversion at the end? You have no shot.
Right but you extended the game to the last play. Again, that is what all coaches would do. Ferentz made a mistake because he didn’t know any better and you are touting it as some great innovation.

Right but you extended the game to the last play. Again, that is what all coaches would do. Ferentz made a mistake because he didn’t know any better and you are touting it as some great innovation.

So a loss is better if it was on the last play?

If the Saints win over the Redskins couldn't teach this very simple lesson to some, it will never ever be learned by them.

And yes PC, I'd rather lose on the last play than the loss being determined with 1 min. left, 5 min. left, or the entire 4th qtr. left (in a blowout).

If the Saints win over the Redskins couldn't teach this very simple lesson to some, it will never ever be learned by them.

And yes PC, I'd rather lose on the last play than the loss being determined with 1 min. left, 5 min. left, or the entire 4th qtr. left (in a blowout).

You do realize that the saints would have also win if they made their 2 point conversion first don't you? Just like they would have lost if they missed it the second time.

So which would you rather have. A 30% chance to take the lead with one minute left, but if you missed that chance, there was no way you could win? Or a 5% chance to win on the last play of the game? Sometimes the path that gives you the best chance also can seal your fate faster.

Yes. And every coach and football mind agrees. But you are probably just the only one that “gets it.”
Correct. Most coaches put a higher priority on extending the game than they do giving their team the best chance to win. I think that's crazy.

So which would you rather have. A 30% chance to take the lead with one minute left, but if you missed that chance, there was no way you could win? Or a 5% chance to win on the last play of the game? Sometimes the path that gives you the best chance also can seal your fate faster.

You don't make any sense at all? Why would you have a 30% chance to convert a 2 point play with a minute left, but only a 5% chance on the last play of the game?

You don't make any sense at all? Why would you have a 30% chance to convert a 2 point play with a minute left, but only a 5% chance on the last play of the game?

That question has nothing to do with a 2 point play. It was in response to you saying you would rather lose on the last play.

I would rather give myself the best chance to win. Reguardless of when that chance came. You have the mindset of staying alive as long as possible. Even if it decreases your odds of winning. Most coaches agree with you.

You do realize that the saints would have also win if they made their 2 point conversion first don't you? Just like they would have lost if they missed it the second time.

You don't get to have it both ways here. You said they "should go for 2" because they need to know if they have to score once or twice. The fact is they don't need to know this, because the odds of them getting a 2nd onside kick and scoring again are infinitesimal to the point of not even mattering.

Latest posts