Don't know if this has been posted, but Hawks blame some of poor play on Social Media

HaydenHawk56

From HawkCentral.com:

Addressing social media

One of the offseason changes Iowa players plan to make: How they approach outside noise.

The Hawkeyes admitted negative comments on social media had an affect on their mentality as a disappointing season wore on. Iowa finished 14-19 overall, with a 4-14 record in regular-season Big Ten play. Its only win against a top-100 RPI opponent was against Colorado in December.

“People can say some crazy things, and it can affect you mentally,” sophomore forward Cordell Pemsl said. “With the way we were playing, it was hard for us.”

Fellow sophomore Ryan Kriener was even more direct.

“The toughest thing is when you go online after the game, it feels like everyone and their mom is saying you suck,” Kriener said. “You’ve got people saying all this stuff and asking these awful questions that are completely irrelevant. Just sticking the course, just making sure you’re doing the right thing, that’s the toughest part.”

Kriener’s words are a good lesson that Twitter can be a toxic place, and that there’s no place for personally attacking college athletes.

And before you get on a kid for looking at his mentions, avoiding them is not as easy as it sounds in today’s world, when smartphones have become so crucial to connecting to others' everyday life.

“We’re all ready to move on and prepare for next season and try and make our own expectations,” Pemsl said, “and maybe not focus on what other people are saying.”

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...wkeyes-mindset-during-rough-season/385197002/

Although some real nasty things can be said (that are not fair and out of line) I think it still speaks to lack of mental toughness of this program under Fran. The guys have to learn to block this stuff out. I hope they can do this for next season and beyond.

The very acknowledgment of this by some guys demonstrates a pretty thin skin and lack of mental toughness, not to mention, accountability.

Toughen Up! Work Harder! Get Better! Play Better!

It's really that simple, guys. Get a little F-UUUUU! attitude and you might see yourselves perform better on the court.

Then guess what ~ it all goes away.

I agree it's a bad look for the team. I also feel like it's easy for us "adults" to criticize kids that have NEVER been in this type of spotlight before, nor have we nor will we ever be, how to respond to 1000 dummies saying horrible things about them on social media. I am 39, I know to turn the other cheek and block it out, I didn't know that when I was 19....and this was before dipshits could put me on blast immediately after a game and send me a message directly to my finger tips.

The very acknowledgment of this by some guys demonstrates a pretty thin skin and lack of mental toughness, not to mention, accountability.

Toughen Up! Work Harder! Get Better! Play Better!

It's really that simple, guys. Get a little F-UUUUU! attitude and you might see yourselves perform better on the court.

Then guess what ~ it all goes away.
Point well taken but it will never completely go away. There will always be "lights were too bright" "can't get to the next level "we don't deserve good things" "we're just little ole Iowa" "the moment was too big" Saw a lot of that during the 2015 football season. (Hell, you should have seen Bucky's boards after back to back final four losses- you would have thought Bo couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag). Yes I know how it ended but many of our fans predicted us to lose to Nebraska. We matched up perfectly with Tommy Armstrong, the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
This isn't new and it isn't rocket science. You can either A. Let it get to you. B. Ignore it. Or C. Use it as motivation.
People talking trash always motivated me. If my son played for Iowa, I wouldn't be on social media, reading what people say about him. And I'm as hard as anyone when it comes to being critical of my kid's play.
I don't understand following and commenting on player's Twitter pages, etc. That has never interested me.

These players want followers and "fake friends" on Twitter but can't handle the other side of it. It really isn't that hard. I'm not THAT old. I'm not a fuddy duddy. I do use social media sparingly but increasingly it is just cancer and more more people I know are turning it off. Hopefully we're actually in the waning days of social media being such a big thing.

I am not a big fan of labeling people as "snowflakes" or "soft" or whatever. It is pretty basic that people are positively motivated by successful ventures and honest positive reinforcement. Given this team's early season woes and the continuation of a lot of effort that resulted in too few victories, it does not surprise me that some of the vicious criticism I have seen leveled at them would have a negative impact. As fellow human beings, we should know better.

Quit following social media...spend your time learning how to block out, play defense, pick and roll, shoot a mid range bank shot...and learn how to play help defense...

How long would these cupcakes make it at Ft. Benning Infantry School...8 hours...?

We have a bunch of wimps on this team...man up little ones...

Quit following social media...spend your time learning how to block out, play defense, pick and roll, shoot a mid range bank shot...and learn how to play help defense...

How long would these cupcakes make it at Ft. Benning Infantry School...8 hours...?

We have a bunch of wimps on this team...man up little ones...

Well, this is a really dumb comment. But I am sure you are just a big brave guy.

I know you don't get better at defense, boxing out, helping out, pick and roll, give and go...by spending time on social media and crying about it....

I am 6-4 1/2 but my size and bravery (or lack of it) have nothing to do with the issue...Iowa sucks, you need to practice to get better...not make excuses...and cry about it like little babies...

Similar to Fran...who thinks his team will be better by yelling...you need to coach, coach...daaaaaah

I am not a big fan of labeling people as "snowflakes" or "soft" or whatever. It is pretty basic that people are positively motivated by successful ventures and honest positive reinforcement. Given this team's early season woes and the continuation of a lot of effort that resulted in too few victories, it does not surprise me that some of the vicious criticism I have seen leveled at them would have a negative impact. As fellow human beings, we should know better.
Well said.

And it’s Pretty easy to say, ‘stay off social media’ by the same adults who have let young people of this age to live on it.

This is new. It’s not the same. Students aren’t screaming, “you suck!” at them as they walk the halls. But they can and do on Twitter along with a few dozen loud twitter tough guys who are wouldn’t be so tough sitting in CHA and screaming the stuff they tweet.

That being said, everyone knows that social media is an anonymous sewer. So, yeah, close it down—especially in season.

If more fans supported the team as I do things would be different. A few players have expressed appreciation for my positive posts on social media about them and the team. A positive environment generated from fans like me also helps with recruiting.