Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

i don't see b.j. as a long term coach, just see him as willing to help out iowa in any way he can. and when that job is done, going back to whatever the heck he wants.

Agreed...he seems to bore easily as it appears he needs new challenges from time to time...make him the HC and Forbes the HC in waiting...and get this F'n thing turned around QUICKLY!

Agreed...he seems to bore easily as it appears he needs new challenges from time to time...make him the HC and Forbes the HC in waiting...and get this F'n thing turned around QUICKLY!

What does BJ bring to the table? If you want Forbes as an asst. coach why don't you just make him the head coach?

I don't understand why people have issues with an assitant like Forbes getting a look.... he has coaching experience.

BJ on the other hand... NONE.

Do you think his name will bring players in as a recruiting aspect because of his name? I guess I just can't see kids committing to playing for a coach with NO coacching experience, even if he is an alum and played in the NBA.

What does BJ bring to the table? If you want Forbes as an asst. coach why don't you just make him the head coach?

I don't understand why people have issues with an assitant like Forbes getting a look.... he has coaching experience.

BJ on the other hand... NONE.

Do you think his name will bring players in as a recruiting aspect because of his name? I guess I just can't see kids committing to playing for a coach with NO coacching experience, even if he is an alum and played in the NBA.

I would take B.J. because he's smart and would surround himself with a good staff to shore up what he needs to learn...not unlike any assistant coach who gets the head job would do...and he loves the school...a helluva lot more than any outsider would...and kids love name recognition...they prove that in football everytime a blue chipper signed with NFL Totall Failures, like Dave Wannestedt and Pete Carroll.

Besides, we're just spit ballin' here...what the hell else is there to do while we wait?

I would take B.J. because he's smart and would surround himself with a good staff to shore up what he needs to learn...not unlike any assistant coach who gets the head job would do...and he loves the school...a helluva lot more than any outsider would...and kids love name recognition...they prove that in football everytime a blue chipper signed with NFL Totall Failures, like Dave Wannestedt and Pete Carroll.

Besides, we're just spit ballin' here...what the hell else is there to do while we wait?

Ok not to bust your chops since you are just spit ballin...

but I couldn't resist. I don't think Wannestedt or Carroll are a good comparision. They were coaches not players.

I love B.J. being involved but are we going to go down the fruitless and painfull Clyde "The Glide" Drexler route already..remember his heralded come back to coach the new Phi Slamma Jamma and how bad they sucked under his coaching. Really folks lets get someone with some type of coaching pedigree.

Ok not to bust your chops since you are just spit ballin...

but I couldn't resist. I don't think Wannestedt or Carroll are a good comparision. They were coaches not players.

I know they were coaches...and they were horrible at it...but all they had to do was go into a living room and say "I know what it takes to get you there"...and kids would eat it up because they saw them on tv, on sundays.

And I have no problem with Forbes getting the nod as HC...if the reports are true, he wants it badly...which is goodly for us. But B.J. was, is and always will be, my favorite Hawkeye of all-time...so I'm biased and would like that hire as well...even though it's never going to happen.

I love B.J. being involved but are we going to go down the fruitless and painfull Clyde "The Glide" Drexler route already..remember his heralded come back to coach the new Phi Slamma Jamma and how bad they sucked under his coaching. Really folks lets get someone with some type of coaching pedigree.

Couldn't you pick ANY scenario and find miserable failures? Should Iowa not take any mid-major coaches because of the last 2 hires?

Ok, bad example...:p

What kind of HC experience does BJ have? Does he have any coaching experience?

Why would Iowa hire an agent to be a HC? Has this ever happened before?

This has been in my original list from day 1:

B.J. head coach at $1.2 million
Forbes as Associate Head Coach at $800,000

This is a break the mold hire, but we have nothing to lose. Tell me that arrangement would not sell Carver Hawkeye Arena out instantly.

Remember-- B.J. was a point guard on Iowa's greatest team of my lifetime, and an NBA All-Star point guard. He certainly knows his Xs and Os. He will have appeal in recruiting and advantages with certain relationships he has built that no other candidate could bring to the table.

I also admit that the Forbes camp and the Forbes interview is winning me over. I do love the fact that he wants to be here. That is invaluable. Bring him in as Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator.

SO... Do my plan! This is attractive, fun, exciting, potentially big time. It has UPSIDE. It will bring ENTHUSIASM and BUZZ.

Do it, Barta.

This has been in my original list from day 1:

B.J. head coach at $1.2 million
Forbes as Associate Head Coach at $800,000

This is a break the mold hire, but we have nothing to lose. Tell me that arrangement would not sell Carver Hawkeye Arena out instantly.

Remember-- B.J. was a point guard on Iowa's greatest team of my lifetime, and an NBA All-Star point guard. He certainly knows his Xs and Os. He will have appeal in recruiting and advantages with certain relationships he has built that no other candidate could bring to the table.

I also admit that the Forbes camp and the Forbes interview is winning me over. I do love the fact that he wants to be here. That is invaluable. Bring him in as Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator.

SO... Do my plan! This is attractive, fun, exciting, potentially big time. It has UPSIDE. It will bring ENTHUSIASM and BUZZ.

Do it, Barta.

AND.....I think my wife might still be in love with him. So I know she would accompany to Carver!

all I know is i would not mind BJ to be the coach for like 3-5 years then hand it off in better shape. He was able to convince Derek Rose to be his first client ever. That is a sell of yourself when you have never been an agent and he is your first get and will be the #1 pick.

this thread needs to die- and ya i know me posting this adds to it staying alive-

It has had a great run and some good debates, but it is long passed time to let it die imo

this thread needs to die- and ya i know me posting this adds to it staying alive-

It has had a great run and some good debates, but it is long passed time to let it die imo

I hadn't checked back into it until today...I don't think the original sentiment is dead yet and the longer this search goes....

I read an great article in ESPN magazine today about Russell Westbrook. I doubt most people know who he is. Rookie guard for Oklahoma City Thunder and comparing him to Magic Johnson, Iverson, Chris Paul and Lebron James. The article tells about how heworked out for 8 weeks prior to the nba draft with Derrick Rose twice a day, 6 days a week. They were both "tended to by former Bulls guard B.J. Armstrong, who is charged with physically testing all NBA prospects repped by Casey Wasserman's agency." These guys put their faith in BJ to prepare them for the draft and people here in Iowa have doubts whether he can coach!! I think Barta should call BJ and ask him directly if he has any serious interest in this job.

The search is what needs to end - with the hiring of Steve Forbes.

I have a hard time believing Steve Forbes is more impressive in a recruits living room in Chicago, Milwaukee or Detroit than BJ Armstrong. I think he would make a great #1 assistant at Iowa but NOT a head coach! I'm sorry but I think BJ knows a little more about basketball than Steve Forbes!!

I heard another rumor today about BJ being named HC soon, so I thought I'd bump this. My reporting skills aren't that great, which made me think Duffman would like my post :D

Latest posts