Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

Please send Bj to us. With the right staff on board, he would not only fill up carver but he would recruit well and turn this program around. Im convinced.

Wow...umm...B.J.? Lobbying the board for the job won't help you, we're not holding the great big checkbook...can I have your autograph?

I dont need the money. My passion is and always has been the blank n gold. You can have my autograph when Im coaching Iowa to the final four.

When others mentioned BJ, I thought it was a joke; but, frankly the way Jon presents it makes some sense. There is no more classy individual in Iowa BB hitory than BJ. Talk about a guy who could represent the University. As an agent, he is majorly connected to the movers and shakers in recruiting. Has he coached- had Pat Riley when he moved from the radio booth to coach the Lakers? Bring in the right staff and I would be excited as hell. I know guys like Clyde Drexler have bombed out, but let's just say BJ's SAT was about double Clyde's.

I dont need the money. My passion is and always has been the blank n gold. You can have my autograph when Im coaching Iowa to the final four.

Thanks for the confidence BJ... will you give me your autograph when you're in the Final Four with Iowa as an assistant for Bruce??

Bruce who? Pearl? He isnt coming to Iowa. seriously, you all dismiss this but Bj would bring the excitement to Carver and I think he would have no problems recruiting.

When others mentioned BJ, I thought it was a joke;

As did I...not a joke, just didnt pay any attention to those posts today. Which is why I titled this thread the way that I did, because others felt the same way..and still do.

But until I heard what I heard tonight, and who I heard it from, I dismissed it. I still don't think it will happen but I'll share with you what I can. The majority of the stuff I hear, I dont pass along because of either where I hear it or I can't place credence in it.

With this, where I heard it from is solid, and second I think there is credence to the over arching theme, in that BJ is willing to help the Iowa basketball program right now...that could be as being consulted by Barta for his opinion, to more involvement.

However, when some of you go elsewhere or send emails, etc, please don't say that 'Miller thinks Iowa is going to hire BJ Armstrong!'

Because I never said anything like that.

Im not, just a big fan and couldnt remember my password to my original name cuz i very seldom post on this site. Always posted on TOS but this site is much better. Im a Jon Miller fan too. Keep the info coming Jon.

I have heard people in the business tell me this for years: 70% of being a successful coach at this level is recruiting.
I'm in total agreement with this Jon. You can only coach guys up so much in basketball. This isn't like football where you can take an under-the-radar guy, pack on the muscle and turn him into a beast. There's a reason more players can jump straight from HS to the NBA after all when they never happens in other sports.

You just made Marty Tirrell look credible....

BJ will not be the next coach and I have NO sources.

Barta will not put his job on the line with a coach that has NO experience.

Barta's job isn't on the line with this hire. Seriously people need to get off the Barta fascination.

As for BJ if he can pull recruits in and have a good supporting staff, you can be successful at the D-1 level.

Thanks for the info Jon. Much appreciated.

I don't know what to think about all of this. The thought of B.J. back in the program in any capacity just excites the hell out of me. He is still my all time favorite Hawkeye. But I don't know how I feel about him being the head coach. He would have to assemble an absolutely knock out staff. That's for sure.

And it doesn't matter if todays players remember BJ. They will recognize his rings. They will know his NBA connections. Not to mention, BJ is an absolutely dynamite communicator. We will be lights out in recruiting.

It's an interesting idea. Heck of a Gamble for Barta though(see what I did there):)

I agree. I'm quite shocked by what I'm reading by others. I would buy into this in a heartbeat. BJ has been around the sport for what 30 years? He has more knowledge about the game of basketball then probably all of us combined and his connection plus love for the Hawkeye Program is endless.

Some of you need to take a step away from the computers tonight.

Yes, it really is. This has no legs and will not happen.

I have said repeatedly that it's a long shot. But I have every reason to believe that BJ is interested in helping the program...and has even discussed the top position with some people.

So say 'I don't think this will happen' and leave it at that.

Latest posts