Does Tyler Cook get drafted?

Does Tyler Cook get drafted Thursday?

• yes

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • no

Votes: 42 91.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure TC did work on his shooting, ball handling, defense and even rebounding last year. It just didn't show much in the games.

Signing this contract with the Nuggests doesn't guarantee him much other than an opportunity to prove himself, maybe that's all he needs. He'll be on their summer league team with a goal of being invited to fall camp. He can always be waived but would still get his guaranteed money although I'm guessing it's not that much.

The best possible scenario would be to get signed to a full contract. Last year the NBA upped the number of roster spots to 17 with the last two being what they call 'two way contracts'. That allows the parent club to move them up and down from their G league team at will. There is a 45 game limit at the NBA level where if they play that many games with the parent club they have to be signed to a full contract or released. I believe this contract is for $75k or something like that. If all else fails they can get signed to a G league contract which pays them around $30k this year but they do get medical, housing and use of the parent club facilities, if they are close enough.

A first clue will be how much playing time TC gets in the summer league. White, Uthoff, and Jok all got deep sixed in the summer league, never got much of a chance.

He definitely worked hard on his game, I have no doubt there. It just didn't show in games like I'm sure he was hoping it would to propel his draft stock.

I think he's likely to miss the summer league due to a high ankle sprain he suffered while working out for the Pistons. It's going to be tough for him to get one of those two way contracts while hurt.

I'm sure TC did work on his shooting, ball handling, defense and even rebounding last year. It just didn't show much in the games.

Signing this contract with the Nuggests doesn't guarantee him much other than an opportunity to prove himself, maybe that's all he needs. He'll be on their summer league team with a goal of being invited to fall camp. He can always be waived but would still get his guaranteed money although I'm guessing it's not that much.

The best possible scenario would be to get signed to a full contract. Last year the NBA upped the number of roster spots to 17 with the last two being what they call 'two way contracts'. That allows the parent club to move them up and down from their G league team at will. There is a 45 game limit at the NBA level where if they play that many games with the parent club they have to be signed to a full contract or released. I believe this contract is for $75k or something like that. If all else fails they can get signed to a G league contract which pays them around $30k this year but they do get medical, housing and use of the parent club facilities, if they are close enough.

A first clue will be how much playing time TC gets in the summer league. White, Uthoff, and Jok all got deep sixed in the summer league, never got much of a chance.

He can't play in Summer League, high ankle sprain suffered 6/6 working out with Detroit

Imo, the Tennessee game summed up everything good and bad about TC on the court. Why he won’t play in the league, but if he fell into the right spot there’s like a 15% chance he is playing in the league in 5 years.

Imo, the Tennessee game summed up everything good and bad about TC on the court. Why he won’t play in the league, but if he fell into the right spot there’s like a 15% chance he is playing in the league in 5 years.
Disagree only because 15% seems way to generous but I catch your drift.

I sure hope he does.

I like TC and it would be good exposure for the program. Even though he’s a long shot to make the league, hearing his name called on draft night is a moment he can cherish forever.
I have these thoughts:

I feel sorry for Tyler because he seems to be a good kid. Hope he lands on his feet.

We are non-experts as fans but doesn't someone, anyone, agent, friends, coaches say..."Hey dude, you have no jump shot and you are below average on defense and game smarts. Your effort also seems to be lacking in the eyes of the scouts. Stay in school. Shoot 10,000 jump shots a day until you feel confident."

That said, I don't think another year at Iowa would have made him more appealing as an NBA player. He didn't seem to develop much at Iowa in three years of coaching. (common thread)

Would love to see him take some alternate routs that end up in the NBA, a player, any player on an NBA roster with an Iowa connection is good for recruiting.

I think the big question is whether he showed he could play defense and rebound in the NBA during the trials. If he did that...he gets called. Board man gets paid. Let's face it at 6'9" and with his athleticism and size...he's there athletically. It's just work ethic and effort on the glass. Guys who can run the floor and dunk like he can, with defensive skills and rebounding are a needed commodity in the NBA.
Yea and they have jumpers (draymon green) I do not understand the logic here

Yea and they have jumpers (draymon green) I do not understand the logic here

You missed his point. There are room on NBA rosters for players that are only effective at defense and rebounding. And that Cook has the athletic makeup to furfill that role. He just has a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to earn that role, also he'll have to swallow pride and not expect the ball in his hands.

For most of this season Draymon Green hardly had a jump shot. Believe he shot in the 30s %, but what makes him an NBA starter is his defense, rebounding, and play making ability.

IMO I don't think Cook will have the work ethic to improve as a rebounder and defender to make the NBA. He'll probably lose focus if he isn't getting an opportunity to score. But if he wants to be paid as a professional over seas or in the d league, they'll be a spot for him.

I seem to remember he signed a partially guaranteed contract, never did hear how much.

Interesting he would get invited to fall camp without showing them anything in the summer league.

Feels a bit like Jarrod Uthoff. He signed some different kinds of contracts, made some OK money but always seemed to get cut right before anything became big time guaranteed and he was again looking for a new team. Hope this doesn't happen in this case.

The NBA rookie minimum salary for this coming year is $838K, that's a lot of incentive to make a roster.

I seem to remember he signed a partially guaranteed contract, never did hear how much.

Interesting he would get invited to fall camp without showing them anything in the summer league.

Feels a bit like Jarrod Uthoff. He signed some different kinds of contracts, made some OK money but always seemed to get cut right before anything became big time guaranteed and he was again looking for a new team. Hope this doesn't happen in this case.

The NBA rookie minimum salary for this coming year is $838K, that's a lot of incentive to make a roster.

If I had to bet on what happens, I'd guess Tyler gets cut after training camp and ends up signing a G League contract with either Denver or another team. Not sure he would get a 2 way contract, he'd have to really impress in a short time to do so.

His ankle must be healed up enough. Good luck to TC. I hope he gets some decent playing time and plays well!