Does it seem like this board is dead, considering how close we are to CFB season?

I don't know much about x's and o's at all. That's why I never talk about them. Kirk is a way better coach than me. But I'll tell you this right now. If I could stand on the sidelines and tell him win to call a timeout and clock the ball in a 2 minute drill, our clock management problems would be gone.

There are a lot of aspects of coaching. Kirk is great at some, good at some, and not good at some. Just like every other person in every profession. I don't have to be a good coach to recognize good coaching decisions (in some cases).

I think many would agree that relative to his peers, Coach Ferentz does not excel at time management. I would argue that he isn't really at the bottom end of the spectrum either, we just watch Hawk games so we see his gaffes, not those committed by others. But consider the following:

Big time college coaching is a highly competitive, outcome-driven profession. It is also very well-compensated. As such, those 60 or so P5 coaching jobs should be primarily populated by people who are REALLY GOOD at winning football games. While it is true that clock-management proficiency is not the most important talent for them to possess to win football games, it is important enough that these very smart football people have certainly put a lot of thought into how to do it most effectively.

All that said, we continually see clock-management gaffes week in and week out from many different coaches. So I ask you, what is the more likely explanation?
  • These coaches who have an enormous vested interest in mastering clock management are just bad at it, and most fans would be better if put into the same situation
  • In-game, real-time clock management is very difficult

I think many would agree that relative to his peers, Coach Ferentz does not excel at time management. I would argue that he isn't really at the bottom end of the spectrum either, we just watch Hawk games so we see his gaffes, not those committed by others. But consider the following:

Big time college coaching is a highly competitive, outcome-driven profession. It is also very well-compensated. As such, those 60 or so P5 coaching jobs should be primarily populated by people who are REALLY GOOD at winning football games. While it is true that clock-management proficiency is not the most important talent for them to possess to win football games, it is important enough that these very smart football people have certainly put a lot of thought into how to do it most effectively.

All that said, we continually see clock-management gaffes week in and week out from many different coaches. So I ask you, what is the more likely explanation?
  • These coaches who have an enormous vested interest in mastering clock management are just bad at it, and most fans would be better if put into the same situation
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure some of the 'gaffes' are from the OC and KF not being on the 'same page' in some of those situations, leading to some uncertainty and 'wasted' time. So those 'communication' problems would be on KF IMHO. And your second choice would be true. Lot different on the field and they can't 'plan' for every situation that arises. Now, it seems to me, that GD and KF have been on the 'same page' more and we haven't seen so many 'plays coming in late' (like we used to see with KOK) and clock gaffes. Might have been one of the reasons KOK 'moved on'.....'They' would never throw each other under the bus, so we'll probably never know 'who' was at 'fault' in any of those situations, but KF has always taken responsibility for them and has never made any excuses that I recall.

I would argue he is really bad and near the bottom. Rarely does a team win as many as he does and still have solid team, except maybe Les Miles. Were in not for Tates Miracle throw (and a penalty not called), that meltdown on clock management would be a top 3 for highlight reels. You just don't see something that bad very often. Even rarer that the team wins.

I would argue he is really bad and near the bottom. Rarely does a team win as many as he does and still have solid team, except maybe Les Miles. Were in not for Tates Miracle throw (and a penalty not called), that meltdown on clock management would be a top 3 for highlight reels. You just don't see something that bad very often. Even rarer that the team wins.

I don't really watch enough other teams closely enough to refute that. It would be interesting to poll all of the P5 fan bases and ask each of them how good their coach was at clock management. I have a suspicion that the vast majority would say that their coach is in the bottom half.

Led Miles is definitely bad too. The one good point is I watch Hawkeye games more than any other but I do watch a lot of other games too and announcers talking about clock management issues during Iowa games happens a lot compared to other games I watch.

My whole point for bringing that up is too point out that all coaches have flaws, even the really good ones. Discussing flaws for lack of anything else going on right now seems like an OK thing to do on a message board.

Led Miles is definitely bad too. The one good point is I watch Hawkeye games more than any other but I do watch a lot of other games too and announcers talking about clock management issues during Iowa games happens a lot compared to other games I watch.

My whole point for bringing that up is too point out that all coaches have flaws, even the really good ones. Discussing flaws for lack of anything else going on right now seems like an OK thing to do on a message board.

Agreed. Even diehard KF supporters will tell you that clock management isn't one of his strengths. Les Miles is bad, but flukey things happen in games with him where he gets let off the hook.

That's my middle name. Nickname is Lucifer.

It's kinda funny, I was watching some comedian on a talk show. He was talking about the "tolerance" movement in the USA. And he mentioned how tolerance works in our country. To paraphrase: "The tolerant in America have jumped the shark. They don't want to ostracize Islam by mentioning the defectives within that religion. They do this in the name of tolerance. When you're worried about the feelings of people who won't condemn those who throw gays off buildings and torture/rape women because they are inferior, that's not tolerance, that's intolerance masquerading as compassion."

I may not be a football genius, but darn it, I think comparing sports fans to terrorists proves I'm an old-fashion regular genius.:confused:

Last edited:
IE crashes when I visit this site. I'm too layz to open another browser. But tonight I'm going all out.

Last season was exciting to see the hawks win each game...and every game seemed like it was a gime once the hawks got past jNW and Wisconsin. And in retrospect jNW wasn't all that. So the drama was largely confined to anticipating 12-0.

Maybe I'm getting old but I've experienced more exciting seasons than last season. know what I mean? anyone?

lets see if anyone detects the nuance of any of that or not.

That's my middle name. Nickname is Lucifer.

It's kinda funny, I was watching some comedian on a talk show. He was talking about the "tolerance" movement in the USA. And he mentioned how tolerance works in our country. To paraphrase: "The tolerant in America have jumped the shark. They don't want to ostracize Islam by mentioning the defectives within that religion. They do this in the name of tolerance. When you're worried about the feelings of people who won't condemn those who throw gays off buildings and torture/rape women because they are inferior, that's not tolerance, that's intolerance masquerading as compassion."

I may not be a football genius, but darn it, I think comparing sports fans to terrorists proves I'm an old-fashion regular genius.:confused:
Bag.

IE crashes when I visit this site. I'm too layz to open another browser. But tonight I'm going all out.

Last season was exciting to see the hawks win each game...and every game seemed like it was a gime once the hawks got past jNW and Wisconsin. And in retrospect jNW wasn't all that. So the drama was largely confined to anticipating 12-0.

Maybe I'm getting old but I've experienced more exciting seasons than last season. know what I mean? anyone?

I want to use Mi

I want to use Microsoft Edge, but the pop up ads drive me nuts.....hopefully by Christmas they will figure out the add-on glitch......and yeah it is pretty obvious that I am not tech saavy.

Yeah, and it's Gold, pure Gold.

You are kind of starting to remind me of "Bob" from Grosse Pointe Blank......well you and JoshBrown both remind me of him.

Do you *really* believe that there's some stored up conflict that exists between us? There *is* no us. *We* don't exist. So who do you wanna hit, man? It's not me. Now whaddya wanna do here, man?

I'm not sure what "beefs" you guys are holdin
images
images
g onto, but just let it go, I know I have.
You're my boy!

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure some of the 'gaffes' are from the OC and KF not being on the 'same page' in some of those situations, leading to some uncertainty and 'wasted' time. So those 'communication' problems would be on KF IMHO. And your second choice would be true. Lot different on the field and they can't 'plan' for every situation that arises. Now, it seems to me, that GD and KF have been on the 'same page' more and we haven't seen so many 'plays coming in late' (like we used to see with KOK) and clock gaffes. Might have been one of the reasons KOK 'moved on'.....'They' would never throw each other under the bus, so we'll probably never know 'who' was at 'fault' in any of those situations, but KF has always taken responsibility for them and has never made any excuses that I recall.

I think people didn't really acknowledge during last season that several "familiarity" dynamics were in play: more time for each of the players in "the system", more familiarity between staff members, more/better communication between position coaches/units, etc.

It wasn't like we suddenly changed schemes, executed so much better than ever before, etc. That is part of what enabled us to still do fine as injuries occurred

Healthy KF...determined, energetic, teacher, leader, resilient, fundamentals of football expert, open to change ...

Shadow-side KF...complacent, predictable, stubborn, secretive, confused, deflective, arrogant, blamer...

In the present...KF seems to be willing to change and also seems to have his heart into it a bit more.

His track record vs ISU and the Rose Bowl diminish his legacy...lots of padded stats vs doormats on the schedule.

Like to see him go out on a high note...beating a highly ranked team in the Rose Bowl or wherever or whatever they will be called in the future.

My two cents...here is to an undefeated season!

I have the same issue, this site is buggy as hell. I get on via iPhone and every 30 seconds it directs me to some bs "Free Prize!" Website."

I think I figured it out with as blockers but we'll see. I've brought this up to admins before so I have to assume it's deliberate.

Latest posts