Does IA Benefit from Collapse of Big 12?

StickUP

If ISU goes to anything less than the Big East, would Iowa's recruiting in both Football and Basketball benefit greatly. There would be no other BCS school in Iowa to compete for recruits.

Not really. ISU doesn't really threaten Iowa in football (instate recruits) anyway. If anything, if these conferences go to "super conferences", teams like Iowa will face a tougher challenge competing (over the long term) with the powerhouse schools.

If ND and UT joined the Big 10 for instance, it would be a phenomenal conference, but it's essentially like playing in the SEC.

If the Big 12 does collapse...what's left for us is the equivalent of the REO property that's so worthless...nobody wants it.

Of course it benefits Iowa, there is not enough room in this state for 2 BCS schools. Iowa has, on rare occasions, lost a few instate recruits to ISU.

I say that it would probably benefit Iowa to some degree. Also, please stop with the UT to B10 talk. Never going to happen.

I think it hurts the state of Iowa by not having two BCS Universities. Also, I think what's bad for the state and the people of Iowa is bad for the U of I. I would bet that the entire Iowa football staff is opposed to a Big 12 collapse.

I have always said our population base is too small for 2 major universities. If the big 12 declines and ISU collapses to a mid major or worse in sports Iowa would be the only show in town. Right now clone fans are rabid but 20-25 years from now the hatred would be pretty much gone and Iowa would end up being THE team in the state that is followed by almost everyone. Our situation would be similar to Nebraska.

Worst case scenario is that ISU would freefall so bad that they would end up losing their annual game with us due to their level of play.

I would never want to be a cyclone fan but right now it would be very tough to be one. They are looking into an abyss.

I'm an ISU fan and frankly I'm passed the point of worrying about it. I honestly think even if the Big 12 totally melts down ISU will be in a palatable situation. Obviously I'd prefer the Big 12 stays together (and frankly IMO, a 9 team conference is the perfect size) but I think we have to be prepared for anything.

I'm one that roots for Iowa already. But I'd never get season tickets or anything. I think we all can agree that you will always have a certain affinity for your alma mater.

It will because if ISU ends up in some nameless conference somewhere we will be under no obligation to ever set foot in Ames to play a football game. There is no reason for us to travel to play a team from a bottom tier conference so if ISU wants our series to continue then they are making trips to Iowa City to do so.

I would greatly enjoy the clowns going to a smaller and insignificant conference but I don't think it will happen. Why should Texas and (or) Okla go anywhere else? Unless the TV contract is decimated Texas and OKla now completely control the Big 12. Who in their conference do they have to fear? Virtually every year the automatic BCS spot will go to one or the other. Almost every year, the conference will be decided by that game.

Texas already controls the Big 12 and the rest of the teams grovel at their feet. Unless the automatic BCS bid is ever in jeopardy, why should they or Okla go anywhere? We see the quality of the Big East and they continue to get an automatic bid. The Big 12 is a better conference, or was when Nebraska was a member. The conference has been weakened with NE leaving and if Texas A&M were to leave, their leaving would also diminish the quality of the Big 12.

So IMO two things would have to happen for the clowns to be relegated to a much lesser league.
1. TV contract blows up because of the quality of teams left in the Big 12.
2. Texas A&M and Oklahoma leave for the SEC. If Okla left, that conference would be toast.

If the SEC takes A&M why wouldn't they try to get a package deal and get Okla also? Getting Okla into their league would be the real prize.

Iowa football won't be impacted regardless. We don't battle them for recruits. If ISU ends up anywhere other than the Big East Iowa basketball is probably a winner.

You obviously havent been over to Cyclonefanatic lately. Havent you heard the Big12 isn't collapsing its actually getting stronger? Oh and they are going to add ND, Arkansas and BYU.

(heavy doses of sarcasm)

But what will all those ISU fans do who say they root for Iowa when they aren't playing ISU?

ISU fans will not follow ISU in the MAC. No way that happens. All those fans will become Hawkeye fans right. Ha.

Latest posts