Does IA Benefit from Collapse of Big 12?

Arkansas would benefit greatly by the addition of TA&M and at least one of the Oklahoma schools in the SEC.

My concern is that the SEC and PAC 12 take the superconference lead and the B1G actually ends up scrambling.

The potential is there for Iowa being the biggest winner from the collapse of the Big 12 if ISU went down to the MAC.

Arkansas would benefit greatly by the addition of TA&M and at least one of the Oklahoma schools in the SEC.

My concern is that the SEC and PAC 12 take the superconference lead and the B1G actually ends up scrambling.

I don't think they would be scrambling. A lot of the information they collected from the last round would still apply, and several teams where positioning themselves for a Big 10 invite. If Pac 12 and SEC goes to 16 the Big 10 would have to act quickly if they are going to match them at 16, if SEC and Pac 12 goes to 14 I don't think B1G would do anything short term. If they want to force ND in at 16 they would have to go to 15 to make the offer, do some damage to the Big East, and tell them its now or never. If you get a "nope" response, take another BE school.

I would be willing to bet anything that Oklahoma will not end up in the SEC. Not that Oklahoma wouldn't make the move, but it creates too many problems for the SEC.

First off, when you see Oklahoma connected to the SEC, Oklahoma State is being mentioned as a necessary tag-along. Because Oklahoma as a state only has 3.8 million people, why would the SEC want to double down in a small market compared to another (bigger) part of the country that they aren't in yet?

For instance, there is a bigger advantage for the SEC to go into North Carolina or to go after a Virginia Tech, which would push their brand further up the east coast. They are not going to go after a school in a state where they already are. Therefore, no Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, etc, etc.

Also, getting a North Carolina school (like Duke, Wake Forest, etc.) would boost the academic perception of the SEC, which we all know is in the crapper. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State wouldn't do that.

One other possibility is to go deeper into Texas and get Texas Tech. That wouldn't **** off any of the existing SEC schools that don't want another university from their state added.

"IF" ISU were forced into a smaller D1 confrence, I think it would actually benefit them quite a bit in terms of on field/court success. Money aside, being a little bigger fish in a smaller pond will turn out to be to the liking of many Cyclone faithfull.

Iowa's population base is perfect for 1 major BCS football program, 1 smaller confence D1 school and 1-2 1AA or whatever it's new abbreviation is now.

As an Iowa fan, I have to worry l little bit about the impact of each of these moves have on our probram. Right now Iowa (talking Football only here) has been a top 15 type program for the past decade or so in terms of overall success. The Hawks have been in a 10 or so team "Group B" of College Football's who' who. We have seen our Hawks stick their toes in the door of the "A Group" and threaten that top group a few times but have never getten in.

All and all its not a bad place to be for a school from the smallest population base of one of the biggest confrences. But it is fagile too. A few real rough years, a changing landscape stands to potentially hurt that.

If confrences remain the same I like Iowa's staying power, as they change it gets exciting both ways.

Wont happen. The B1G is the one who actually started all of this. I am sure they had enough foresight to know that this could cause an arms race and have ideas of who they will be going after if it turns into armageddon.

It will because if ISU ends up in some nameless conference somewhere we will be under no obligation to ever set foot in Ames to play a football game. There is no reason for us to travel to play a team from a bottom tier conference so if ISU wants our series to continue then they are making trips to Iowa City to do so.

Honestly I think it should be that way now. Iowa has the bigger stadium (70k compared to 55k) and it would mean more revenue between both schools to have the game hosted in Kinnick every year.

IMO... From a financial standpoint, in terms of donation and ticket appeal, Iowa would benefit some if ISU were gone. On those same terms, many ISU fans located in Western Iowa would become NU fans and several of the ISU fans in Northern Iowa, Southern Minnesota/Minneapolis region would probably become Gopher fans. The only gain I could see Iowa making is through basketball recruiting in-state if ISU somehow fell to a non-competitive conference like the MAC (doubtful).

I don't see how anyone can make the argument that Iowa's population is only big enough for one DI football program. Iowa has nearly twice the population of Nebraska, and no elite-level professional sports teams. If ISU experienced some form of success, neither stadium would have problems selling out on the same day.

One thing to think about; while the Hawkeyes might see some benefit, it is a no-win situation for the state of Iowa. Lost revenue from out of state visitors, jobs gone, national media exposure to the state and game-day economic impact would be reduced greatly. Further, you are reducing entertainment options in a state that is already severely lacking. So I guess it falls where your primary allegiance is; the State University of Iowa Hawkeyes or The State of Iowa.

Don't think it effects Iowa either way what great recruits is ISU getting maybe a little help in b-ball, but nothing is basketball.

I personally do not see any advantages from a breakup of the Big 12 for Iowa and problems for ISU. People are looking at conference realignment superficially.

First of all the BCS is a rather modern idea meant to appease critics of not having a national championship. Belonging to a non-AQ league didn't matter to TCU or Boise State, both participated in BCS games. I'm not sure what transitive property equates to BCS AQ Conference = Better Teams = BCS game. Should two games be added to the BCS series it would open four slot. These could be shared by those conference currently designated non-AQ. Getting rid of the BCS AQ designation takes away the stigma of being a lesser.

While the Big Ten may have won the previous battle in getting Nebraska, the Big Ten will lose the war if they're forced to go to 16. There's just nobody worth taking outside of ND. Pitt? Syracuse? Maryland? ISU? Missouri?

The notion of the Big Ten allowing in a Texas with their own Longhorn Network is a disturbing prospect though.

The Big 1G probably will lose expansion battle unless they pick up Notre Dame.

When you've already got fOSU, Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State, not to mention Wiscy and Iowa, you're not going to "lose" any expansion battles.

We already got what the others want, except maybe the SEC...but our schools are superior to theirs academically.

Just sit back and bask in the knowledge that we are in the premier conference in America.

Latest posts