Does anyone think Vandenberg will be /or is now a better quarterback than Stanzi?

I do not think Vandenberg should be the starting quarterback right now. I love Stanzi, but I also think Vandenberg will be better in the future... just my opinion

People need to remember that JVB did have some great plays against OSU but he also made some really bad throws too. 3 picks, should have been 4.

He played well against OSU for a FR but that doesn't mean he is a starting level QB yet. He completed less than 50% against NW & Minnesota(worst team in the conference). He has a great arm, not doubt, but no way I would pick him over Stanzi right now, of course I've seen very little of JVB this year. He may have taken some big steps between then & now.

Rick makes does things that make me crazy but IMO Stanzi is simply better. More experience, better downfield thrower, better athlete(Rick is severely underrated here), & Rick has guts and is a great leader. Teammates believe in him. That goes a long way.

slingin dick is a winner, he's a hell of a patriot, and he's the leader. when he graduates, he will be a winner, a patriot, and the leader of the United States.

book it

I think people forget just how lost that Vandenburg looked when he came in against Northwestern last year. Also a terrible game against Minnesota, who decided to blitz him play after play. In between that was the mixed reviews game at Ohio St., where he did throw 3 picks. He was more successful, imo, against the Buckeyes because they didn't blitz him. Stanzi is clearly the better QB and it's not even close. There is more to QBing than having a better arm and mechanics.

I think JVB has a much bigger upside than Ricky (who I like and admire) and would like to see him get the chance to show it. If we lose another game in the next week or two I would be happy to see him get more reps and PT. If we lose another game, an NC bid is out of the picture (and, to be honest, considering this is Iowa it probably never was in it). But the offensive nucleus is there for a strong run beginning next year and for the next two or three. Start building that cohesiveness now, IMO.

I think JVB has a much bigger upside than Ricky (who I like and admire) and would like to see him get the chance to show it. If we lose another game in the next week or two I would be happy to see him get more reps and PT. If we lose another game, an NC bid is out of the picture (and, to be honest, considering this is Iowa it probably never was in it). But the offensive nucleus is there for a strong run beginning next year and for the next two or three. Start building that cohesiveness now, IMO.

I just don't see Stanzi getting benched only to build for the future. It doesn't happen like that in college. If he is a senior he will start unless he completely goes off his rocker by performing bad. He's put too much work in & has done so much for Iowa over the yrs that Ferentz would respect him which he should. I hear what you are saying, but college coaches just don't do something like that unless the QB is really doing a tank job. I mean for most players this will be their last playing experience & college coaches put that into perspective & respect the seniors.

Vandy has what I call the ''golden arm''...much like Jay Cutler of the Bears.
Ricky is our leader on this team,and will play unless he is hurt or it is a blowout.
Ricky is also very talented, and will be in pro camps next year.
We all know the story on how the coaching staff used true frosh Vandys film as training for Jake and the other qbs...so we know his footwork is flawless.
So, I think both Ricky and Vandy could be NFL qbs.
This year...Ricky.
2011 and 2012? Vandy . And if Vandy goes down...Weinke could be very good also.

Vandy has what I call the ''golden arm''...much like Jay Cutler of the Bears.
Ricky is our leader on this team,and will play unless he is hurt or it is a blowout.
Ricky is also very talented, and will be in pro camps next year.
We all know the story on how the coaching staff used true frosh Vandys film as training for Jake and the other qbs...so we know his footwork is flawless.
So, I think both Ricky and Vandy could be NFL qbs.
This year...Ricky.
2011 and 2012? Vandy . And if Vandy goes down...Weinke could be very good also.

Didn't know that. Interesting.

Whatever... go re watch the Minnesota game last year and tell me Vandy is better...

If you bothered to read my other posts, you'll see that I clearly said I feel JVB WILL be better. But I also said he isn't right now, and it's not even close. He's more physically gifted, I think, but it's not like Stanzi is all hard work and no natural talent. Stanzi's got plenty of physical talent, and his leadership is tremendous. JVB will get the opportunity to be that kind of player starting next year.

This is nit-picking, Vandy came in a couple times this season so far and he has looked decent but he still throws the ball way to hard, its bouncing off his recievers hands sometimes he throws it so damn hard.

This is nit-picking, Vandy came in a couple times this season so far and he has looked decent but he still throws the ball way to hard, its bouncing off his recievers hands sometimes he throws it so damn hard.

This is probably more a testament to the difference in velocity between Stanzi and Vandenberg. There's no such thing as throwing a ball too hard when it comes to throws that can't be lofted...WR's have to get that timing down with a QB to get their head around quickly if a guy can really get it on them quick.

**Edit - Actually, JVB only has one incompletion this year, and that was a drop by Keenan Davis in the ISU game. So maybe you meant last year...

Last edited:
veteran, lets always respect that....called it early;;;time to move on......[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AQ4tjMFhKc]YouTube - Jay-Z And Eminem Perform Renegade Live on Letterman[/ame]

We'll have to live with some bad decisions next year...it's going to happen face it. Having said that JVB is going to be fine. Stanzi was one of Iowa's better QBs...I mean look at it he could throw crap passes one after another last year but in Q4 he was money...this year he was crap in Q4.

JVB will be just fine. Once again the coaching staff is going to have to get these kids ready to play. Hopefully the Sr. class isn't a bunch of uninspired misfits like they showed they were this year. Biggest waste of talent I've seen in a long time.

Latest posts