Do you enjoy Iowa football still?

I do enjoy it. I just don't jump off a cliff every time we lose because I have more important things in my life. For example, my boys play on our HS FB team. If I had to pick one team to win in a given weekend, it's my boys' team AINEC. My daughters' VB teams are pretty important to me too. I'll go to the MSU game next Saturday and enjoy the gameday experience like always. Wins in person are awesome. Losses in person suck, but I don't let them ruin me.

Damn, Dawg

You B putting things in perspective

:cool:

How has a top program not given him a godfather offer?
Phil is on record multiple times over a span of years saying he doesn’t want a HC job and he likes being in Iowa. At his age and tenure, why the hell would you uproot yourself from a job at Iowa where he gets raises and basically has guaranteed employment for the rest of his career? That’s laughable.

I still love Iowa football. They are 74-31 over the last 5 seasons, but these games where Iowa can't move the ball are incredibly frustrating. There was nothing enjoyable about Friday night, but Iowa did stay in the game for close to 3 quarters against a top 5 team on the road. I want to see them win and be more competitive, but also realize it's not like rock bottom here right? I think Iowa will still win the west and get to Indy, they'll likely get their doors blown off in Indy, but lots of football left to play and I had this game as an L since it was on the schedule. We're 3-1 though, a little perspective isn't bad.

I still love Iowa football. They are 74-31 over the last 5 seasons, but these games where Iowa can't move the ball are incredibly frustrating. There was nothing enjoyable about Friday night, but Iowa did stay in the game for close to 3 quarters against a top 5 team on the road. I want to see them win and be more competitive, but also realize it's not like rock bottom here right? I think Iowa will still win the west and get to Indy, they'll likely get their doors blown off in Indy, but lots of football left to play and I had this game as an L since it was on the schedule. We're 3-1 though, a little perspective isn't bad.
Yea but over the last few years, doesn't it seem we are now closer to the Indiana's and Purdues of the world than we are to Michigan and Penn St? That is what is disconcerting to me. I realize Iowa is going to have season's where they don't do well but not several in a row. This is a new deal to me.

But, I'm an Iowa fan and tune in because they are my fav team. I'll never jump ship but it feels the trend is going in the wrong direction for various reasons.

Last edited:
I will say.....Penn St is good.....but I don't think they are all that either. They are cannon fodder if they were to make it to the playoffs.

Agreed and I'll go a step further. Defensively they're very good. Hard to judge how good a team is offensively when they're played straight up and really don't show too much until the defense is absolutely tanked because our offense can't stay on the field.

Seriously I just googled it and saw PSU 97 offensive plays Iowa 33. Absolutely inexcusable regardless of who you're playing. This isn't a "that's football" its a fricking embarrassment.

Yea but over the last few years, doesn't it seem we are now closer to the Indiana's and Purdues of the world than we are to Michigan and Penn St? That is what is disconcerting to me. I realize Iowa is going to have season's where they don't do well but not several in a row. This is a new deal to me.

But, I'm an Iowa fan and tune in because they are my fav team. I'll never jump ship but it feels the trend is going in the wrong direction for various reasons.
I do feel we are closer to MN, WI, ISU, MSU's of the world then we are to the elite, but I don't know if you can call what Iowa is doing several bad years in a row. I mean, there are some programs that have never had this type of success in a row, so in our minds, we are like this is terrible....but like, what other programs are winning consistently as Iowa is year in year out? Not many. Not any of those teams you say you feel close to, especially Indiana and Purdue. So like, some perspective is needed. I also don't think Iowa is elite, they aren't, but they have beaten some top 25 teams over the last 3 years, so that's at least something.

I am with you in that I feel the trend is going the wrong way, but Iowa could very well go 11-2 this year still. I've watched enough Iowa football to know their resilency and I've watched them punch back too many times to know that, right now, things feel terrible but my expectations haven't really changed much. I thought Iowa was going to lose this game. I'm disappointed by the effort they made. 10-0 at half was ok, then the D stopped working as well, so IMO, the offense turned it over and was dog shit, but when the D breaks too, shit goes sideways quickly

Agreed and I'll go a step further. Defensively they're very good. Hard to judge how good a team is offensively when they're played straight up and really don't show too much until the defense is absolutely tanked because our offense can't stay on the field.

Seriously I just googled it and saw PSU 97 offensive plays Iowa 33. Absolutely inexcusable regardless of who you're playing. This isn't a "that's football" its a fricking embarrassment.
I would agree...I think their defense is their strength....but I will also say....I think/know our offense made them look like world-beaters. Against a real offensive line with real skill positions....they are not putting up those numbers.

Agree with everything.....but I just don't see Indy at this point. Is all there for Iowa. Yes. But, how is this offense going to win a game at Wisconsin....or even at little red at this point?

If Iowa does get to Indy, they either have to get smarter and "gooder" even in a poor division. Maybe Wisconsin can trip on their dicks and help us out. They do have a game @ home vs Ohio St. But, if they lose that one....and we already have a loss to Penn St....and if we lose to Wisconsin.....we need Wisconsin to lose 2 more and we would have to win the rest. I don't see that happening this year.

Agree with everything.....but I just don't see Indy at this point. Is all there for Iowa. Yes. But, how is this offense going to win a game at Wisconsin....or even at little red at this point?

If Iowa does get to Indy, they either have to get smarter and "gooder" even in a poor division. Maybe Wisconsin can trip on their dicks and help us out. They do have a game @ home vs Ohio St. But, if they lose that one....and we already have a loss to Penn St....and if we lose to Wisconsin.....we need Wisconsin to lose 2 more and we would have to win the rest. I don't see that happening this year.
I think WI will lose multiple more games. I still think Iowa is the drivers seat for the West. I thought that Iowa was going to lose this PSU game before it happened, so, it didn't change my outlook on the entire season. Yes it looked bad on Saturday, but we've been here before right? This isn't new to Iowa football. Iowa needed two blocked FG's to beat UNI the year they won the Orange Bowl. Iowa has been getting beat like a drum by CFB elite for decades, it typically has very little bearing on how their season ends up

I think WI will lose multiple more games. I still think Iowa is the drivers seat for the West. I thought that Iowa was going to lose this PSU game before it happened, so, it didn't change my outlook on the entire season. Yes it looked bad on Saturday, but we've been here before right? This isn't new to Iowa football. Iowa needed two blocked FG's to beat UNI the year they won the Orange Bowl. Iowa has been getting beat like a drum by CFB elite for decades, it typically has very little bearing on how their season ends up
I hope you are right. It would really help out if Wisconsin stumbles. It may even be a requirement for Iowa to get to Indy....unless the offense gets a brain from the Wizard of Oz.

Penn State did not look very good at Illinois. I thought we might have a chance. The stat on offensive plays run shows how absolutely bad we are on offense. No defense can put up with that kind of difference. Kirk! at least make them run some trick plays for God's sake.

This won't be popular, but the D needs to take some heat after last week too. They bent real bad to start that 2nd half.
Agreed. When we have the opponent in 3rd and 6, have to stop giving 8-10 yds of cushion to 3 of 4 WRs. I know Phil desperately didn't want to give up a home-run TD pass in that game, but man, that 2nd half was painful to watch. Most disturbing was when Penn State's 2nd Team offense entered the game in the 4th quarter and proceeded to march down the field vs Iowa's #1 D. Granted, Iowa's defensive linemen had already played 80 snaps by that time!

I too thought Wisky looked shaky enough at the start of the season to lose perhaps 3 BTen games this year. But watching them dismantle Purdue last week changed my mind...they're starting to get the hang of their new offense, and I don't see them losing to any West Division teams this year. The Division is theirs to lose at this point.

I too thought Wisky looked shaky enough at the start of the season to lose perhaps 3 BTen games this year. But watching them dismantle Purdue last week changed my mind...they're starting to get the hang of their new offense, and I don't see them losing to any West Division teams this year. The Division is theirs to lose at this point.
Yea, I do worry about Iowa matching up with their new open offense and them getting that up to speed prior to Iowa playing them. I am much more worried about it now.

I'm not jumping ship, but I'd be lying to you if I told you I wasn't searching in cranny's for a life preserver at this point.

The best moments over the last 10 years have been jaded when you put the opposition into perspective.

2015 undefeated was wonderful then you realize they didn't really play a tough schedule

2021 win against PSU and top 3 ranking then realiity is that PSU wasn't a top 5 team and Iowa wasn't either and the offense stunk...etc.

I think the magic and fun faded around 2006