Do we like the Ohio State WR visiting today?

No. UCLA and USC are joining B1G. The west isn’t going to be the west anymore.
Thanks for the reply. I did not know this. I see Guffus commented on this too. Thanks for letting me know this. Wow, that is going to be pretty tough to be the conference champ like it used to be especially with more teams in the conference. Is this also when the playoffs will expand to sixteen teams?

I come on here more often as the fall rolls around, but still check in regularly to see what going on with recruiting. This must have slipped by me. Was there a thread on this when it was announced? I wouldn't mind going back a reading everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for the reply. I did not know this. I see Guffus commented on this too. Thanks for letting me know this. Wow, that is going to be pretty tough to be the conference champ like it used to be especially with more teams in the conference. Is this also when the playoffs will expand to sixteen teams?

I come on here more often as the fall rolls around, but still check in regularly to see what going on with recruiting. This must have slipped by me. Was there a thread on this when it was announced? I wouldn't mind going back a reading everyone's thoughts on the matter.

The only thing we know for sure is the playoffs expand to 12 teams in 2024 and 2025. Nobody knows for sure what they are doing in 2026, but the assumption is they will have at least 12 teams in the CFP in 2026.

But we do know in 2024 and 2025
Top 6 conference champs get a bid and there will 6 at-large bids. Top 4 conference champs get a first round bye.

Seeds #5 to #8 will host first round playoff games on campus on Friday and Sat in mid-December, 2 weeks after the CCG. That is why Wisconsin and PSU are installing heated football fields in 2024, just in case they end up hosting a first round CFP game.

The 4 quarter-finals games will be played on New years eve or New years day in 4 of the 6 NY6 bowls. 2 of the 6 NY6 bowls will then host the 2 semi-finals games on Thur and Fri nights in early/mid January. The NCG will be on Monday night in mid/late January.

Nothing against Ragini, but they now have a #1 receiver. It sounds like McNamara was a big factor in getting him to commit.
Listened to a great Youtube segment from " Hawkeye of the Storm" where Cory talks with Brad, head of the SWARM, about Brown and the Portal this season. He raved about Brown and Cade hitting it off and Cade and the receivers are going to a camp in California soon on the SWARMS coin. Sounds like everyone's aboard BUT GARY. And NO there isn't a rule against the athletic depts. endorsing the NIL collectives. He is full of shit. Kirk is aboard, so is Bluder and Fran to lesser success. There are factors out of their control working against them on that. It's a great listen and he spills alot about the players to watch this year as he has a lot of access to practice.

Last edited:
Listened to a great Youtube segment from " Hawkeye of the Storm" where Cory talks with Brad, head of the SWARM, about Brown and the Portal this season. He raved about Brown and Cade hitting it off and Cade and the receivers are going to a camp in California soon on the SWARMS coin. Sounds like everyone's aboard BUT GARY. And NO there isn't a rule against the athletic depts. endorsing the NIL collectives. He is full of shit. Kirk is aboard, so is Bluder and Fran to lesser success. There are factors out of their control working against them on that. It's a great listen and he spills alot about the players to watch this year as he has a lot of access to practice.
For the folks who’ve watched Yellowstone, Gary needs Rip to give him a ride to the train station.

The Iowa Athletic Department is not going to get on board until the Swarm promises equal payment for all men's and women's athletes at the University of Iowa, or something like that. Anyway whatever the AD is holding out for, the Swarm is not going to agree to.

Cade McNamara made it sound like there is a generic deal for all Iowa football players to get equal pay from the Swarm. But that does not stop players from signing other deals for NIL. Did Kaleb Brown get offered something that was more than the average Iowa football player was offered? Either from the Swarm itself or some other offer?

Last edited:
The Iowa Athletic Department is not going to get on board until the Swarm promises equal payment for all men's and women's athletes at the University of Iowa, or something like that. Anyway whatever the AD is holding out for, the Swarm is not going to agree to.

Cade Macnanara made it sound like there is a generic deal for all Iowa football players to get equal pay from the Swarm. But that does not stop players from signing other deals for NIL. Did Kaleb Brown get offered something that was more than the average Iowa football player was offered? Either from the Swarm itself or some other offer?
I highly doubt Bartas gone on the record to say any such thing has he? Brad literally said for the larger donors who specify where they'd like the $ to be allocated they honor that. And why wouldn't they makes all the sense in the world? Those donating the 20 something a month they don't cause that'd be such a huge pain. It's just Brad and two employees of his running it. If 1500 dudes had some weird way they wanted 20 bucks a month allocated to different programs that'd be quite the thing to be messing with so they just don't. Brad seems like a straight shooter to me. He's not drawing a salary from this (guy is beyond loaded already he doesn't need it) he's doing this all for the right reasons I think Hawkeye fans are lucky to have him.

What irks me about Barta is that he publicly tries saying he's pro Swarm. His actions have been anything but. Who's he trying to fool exactly? His motives are obvious he wants all that donated $ for himself. He knows that dips into what he could potentially get from donors for whatever new project he's got cooked up. Raising money was pretty much what he's been good at. The new football facility updates to Kinnick and CHA with the wrestling and practice facilities. His fingers were all over all that. But there's always the next thing.

I am by no means a Barta defender, but he and the athletic department are in difficult position sorting out the legal, NCAA, and money ramifications of this whole NIL deal. Yes, there is a lot of money in college football. But, almost all of it used to go to the adults, and now the kids are taking some of it. So, Barta has to still raise money for the stuff that the programs need, but also ensure that enough money is siphoned away to the athletes to keep the programs competitive. Unlike the SEC, Iowa actually cares about following the law. The University cannot give millions away to male football players and a pittance to the female athletes. That is straight up a violation of federal law. Even a loose affiliation with collectives doing that could lead to lawsuits down the road. It is going to happen. Class action lawsuits against schools and collectives is only a matter of time.

Everyone is on pretty new ground here. Barta is certainly not known for being nimble and cutting edge. But, given the football teams success in the portal, and demonstrably lower attrition rate than our peers, someone is figuring it out.

I am by no means a Barta defender, but he and the athletic department are in difficult position sorting out the legal, NCAA, and money ramifications of this whole NIL deal. Yes, there is a lot of money in college football. But, almost all of it used to go to the adults, and now the kids are taking some of it. So, Barta has to still raise money for the stuff that the programs need, but also ensure that enough money is siphoned away to the athletes to keep the programs competitive. Unlike the SEC, Iowa actually cares about following the law. The University cannot give millions away to male football players and a pittance to the female athletes. That is straight up a violation of federal law. Even a loose affiliation with collectives doing that could lead to lawsuits down the road. It is going to happen. Class action lawsuits against schools and collectives is only a matter of time.

Everyone is on pretty new ground here. Barta is certainly not known for being nimble and cutting edge. But, given the football teams success in the portal, and demonstrably lower attrition rate than our peers, someone is figuring it out.
Clearly they can't. It's not the university giving anything away besides scholarships and stipends if they even still do that. I don't see how collectives allocating $ how they so choose violates any title IX laws. They aren't tied to the schools directly for that very reason pretty much. Brad is in direct contact with agents/parents and the players. KF and Barta don't have anything to do with that. I'm not sure how the communication works with the staff and Brad in regards to letting him know who they are after be it recruits or kids in the portal. But that's where it goes.

Brad talked about how contracts are signed before any $ is dolled out. Not all the different collectives around the country are doing that though. Some are handshake agreements and that's where kids are getting really taken advantage of... To me that's insane but some kids can be susceptible to fast talking used car salesmen. IDC what amount of $ you're talking about put it in ink. Kid has to be enrolled before they get paid I believe too he said.

Last edited:
Speaking of this, is this show down. Was the show taken to the train station?
Looks like Season 5 is it. Possible spin off, but without Costner. Apparently some contractual issues with Costner about payment. I think they already said he is getting $1.5 million per episode. It's too bad too, because the show is solid as was the prequel.

Clearly they can't. It's not the university giving anything away besides scholarships and stipends if they even still do that. I don't see how collectives allocating $ how they so choose violates any title IX laws. They aren't tied to the schools directly for that very reason pretty much. Brad is in direct contact with agents/parents and the players. KF and Barta don't have anything to do with that. I'm not sure how the communication works with the staff and Brad in regards to letting him know who they are after be it recruits or kids in the portal. But that's where it goes.
Its the "directly" part where lawyers will start to circle. You cannot use a third party to do something indirectly that you cannot do directly. Where the rubber will meet the road is how much cooperation there really is. As Fox News learned in its recent civil lawsuits, discovery reveals all sorts of texts, emails and the like that may not be helpful. I find it hard to believe there is not a level of communication and cooperation between the collectives and coaching staff. If not at Iowa, then someone is blurring that line. Lawsuits will come.....

Its the "directly" part where lawyers will start to circle. You cannot use a third party to do something indirectly that you cannot do directly. Where the rubber will meet the road is how much cooperation there really is. As Fox News learned in its recent civil lawsuits, discovery reveals all sorts of texts, emails and the like that may not be helpful. I find it hard to believe there is not a level of communication and cooperation between the collectives and coaching staff. If not at Iowa, then someone is blurring that line. Lawsuits will come.....
What would be legal to do or not? If a kid is being recruited and says he wants 100k to KF or any Iowa coach. All they can do is say here's Brads number/email I suppose. I don't think KF does any negotiating of that. Of course there's some sort of correspondence between Brad and the staffs. To what end I suppose is the question. End of the day the collectives are who say yes or no to the numbers. Of course this is all separate from anything else NIL wise.

The Swarm's entire existence is to benefit the Iowa athletic department. It serves no other function. In the law, the Swarm could be considered an agent of the Iowa athletic department depending upon the depth of the relationship. At a minimum, Iowa is a third-party beneficiary of the Swarm's work. There is also a concept in the law called a Catspaw. It is used in employment law. Basically, we all know that you can't fire someone because of their race or gender or the like. But, employers would try to get around this by allowing fellow employees to harass the employee until they quit. Courts have found violations of employment law even though the employer did not directly engage in the discrimination, but used a third party to accomplish an illegal employment goal.

All of this is to say that if something is illegal, you can't outsource the illegality to a third party and then claim you are not violating the law.

As said before, one more season
One more half a season really. They are at the midpoint of Season 5. I think there are only 5 episodes left to finish it out and then they are moving to a sequel with Mathew McConahae sp?

Costner is out. I am hoping some of the other characters continue on. Rip is the best character on TV.

The Swarm's entire existence is to benefit the Iowa athletic department. It serves no other function. In the law, the Swarm could be considered an agent of the Iowa athletic department depending upon the depth of the relationship. At a minimum, Iowa is a third-party beneficiary of the Swarm's work. There is also a concept in the law called a Catspaw. It is used in employment law. Basically, we all know that you can't fire someone because of their race or gender or the like. But, employers would try to get around this by allowing fellow employees to harass the employee until they quit. Courts have found violations of employment law even though the employer did not directly engage in the discrimination, but used a third party to accomplish an illegal employment goal.

All of this is to say that if something is illegal, you can't outsource the illegality to a third party and then claim you are not violating the law.
I was pondering all of this the other day.

Another gray area would be taxes and social security. Is the Swarm (or other boosting collectives) on the hook to pay taxes on the payouts, and, are they forced to pay into social security even though technically the recipients are not directly employed?

I completely agree with you on the lawsuits. It's just a matter of time and likely will snow-ball.

I was pondering all of this the other day.

Another gray area would be taxes and social security. Is the Swarm (or other boosting collectives) on the hook to pay taxes on the payouts, and, are they forced to pay into social security even though technically the recipients are not directly employed?

I completely agree with you on the lawsuits. It's just a matter of time and likely will snow-ball.
I suspect they structure these deals as independent contractors. If so, the Swarm is not the employer, but more like a talent broker. The athletes would be fully responsible for paying all taxes and SS.

Latest posts