Do we like the Ohio State WR visiting today?

Watching Brown’s highlights from high school, he is more a running back than wideout. I see a lot of Jet sweeps and quick outs plus he has the speed to just run by defenders deep. Plus he is an electric kick returner.

I'm sure Colorado is talking to him. There is a certain kind of kid that is attracted to coach prime.

This is great news but I do remember when everybody thought Oliver Martin was going to be the big WR add from the transfer portal. Sometimes there is a reason a player is buried on a teams depth chart.

But I am going to choose to think this time is different. Kaleb Brown is the real deal. He could easily become Iowa's #1 WR.
Brown played against legit talent and against teams that are stacked top to bottom. No offense to Iowa HS football players, but our state is pee wee league compared to the state of Illinois. I always hesitate when I watch game film of Iowa high schoolers because it doesn't take much to look like the next Emmitt Smith or Reggie White compared to states with a lot of talent.

Dowling would struggle to win a single game in those CCL conferences and most of them would be huge blowouts.

Brown played against legit talent and against teams that are stacked top to bottom. No offense to Iowa HS football players, but our state is pee wee league compared to the state of Illinois. I always hesitate when I watch game film of Iowa high schoolers because it doesn't take much to look like the next Emmitt Smith or Reggie White compared to states with a lot of talent.

Dowling would struggle to win a single game in those CCL conferences and most of them would be huge blowouts.
It just takes experienced eyes for talent. By no means is it an exact science. I mean Cooper DeJean was as small town Iowa as it gets and there really wasn't much doubt about his ability. Had he gone to the big camps, HS & whatnot he'd have stood out and been a 5 star I bet. His ability was always going to translate just a matter of where you put him.

For this Brown kid it'll be interesting what kind of route runner he is. He's quick he's fast but how is he with the nuance of timing and coming out of his breaks. Since he was a RB in HS and he doesn't have the most experience at it. However he was at OSU for a full yr. No better place to be learning WR from. I'm as fired up as it gets to have landed him

I'm very interested in how this Colorado experiment works out and I like Deion Sanders a whole lot, but if I'm a recruit I'm not sure I'd want to mess around getting in there right now. I'd have to see what it looks like in a couple years.
Yeah and as a parent of a kid especially that'd be my mindset too... I wouldn't want to be the guinea pigs on the ground floor. Let others do all that. Granted timing is what it is with your kids eligibility. But I'm not transferring in there now. I'd wait too.

He's a good get but Jerry Rice in his prime would have a tough time being a difference maker at Iowa.
I was wondering the other day if Marvin Harrison Jr was a Hawkeye what kind of impact would he have? How would we use him etc. I mean he's unstoppable in college. But if you don't call plays for him or have a Qb or an O overall to get him the ball nothing else matters. WR is a dependent position.

Huge pick up. Best part about it is that we have him multiple seasons and he's at a position we desperately need. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in black and gold.

For the all the angst about the coaching staff since the close of last season, and most of it was warranted, you cannot fault this offseason. Iowa has killed it in the transfer portal. On offense, we have brought in at least 5, and maybe as many as 7 starters from the portal, and we landed the best portal LB available (if you don't include the one we lost) who should be plug and play at the only real position of need on D.

On paper, this has got to be one of the more talented rosters in the KF era, but as others have said, this season will rise and fall on two things: McNamara's health and whether the OL can get it together. Everything else, including the schedule, sets up for a serious title run.

For the all the angst about the coaching staff since the close of last season, and most of it was warranted, you cannot fault this offseason. Iowa has killed it in the transfer portal. On offense, we have brought in at least 5, and maybe as many as 7 starters from the portal, and we landed the best portal LB available (if you don't include the one we lost) who should be plug and play at the only real position of need on D.

On paper, this has got to be one of the more talented rosters in the KF era, but as others have said, this season will rise and fall on two things: McNamara's health and whether the OL can get it together. Everything else, including the schedule, sets up for a serious title run.

I was thinking earlier this morning, Iowa is FINALLY playing the "game"...................................and I'm not talking the game on the field which they have been doing well, I'm talking the game off the field and out of season. Take the gloves off & play a little dirty.

I was wondering the other day if Marvin Harrison Jr was a Hawkeye what kind of impact would he have? How would we use him etc. I mean he's unstoppable in college. But if you don't call plays for him or have a Qb or an O overall to get him the ball nothing else matters. WR is a dependent position.

I agree on the dependency, but a good WR can change a whole lot of things. Not saying this particular recruit is Randy Moss (I'm not sure any WR has ever been as good as him), but look at the millions of dollars Randy made different QBs. The list of bad to mediocre QBs that looked good when Moss was on the team is long and distinguished.

On the flip-side, think of Brady's excellence, and you can't really think of any mediocre WRs that he made shine. His mediocre WRs still looked mediocre, but Brady could help the team win in spite of that mediocrity.

In short, I think a great WR can make a QB look a lot better, but I don't think a great QB can make a WR look a lot better.

Brown has 4 years of eligibility and Anderson has 3. They're basically replacing K Johnson and Bruce. That's a nice recovery by Iowa.

But gotta keep them healthy, and gotta use them, or it is just rinse, wash, repeat.

This staff needs to think beyond, "What is the best course of action to win this game?", and expand to, "How can we win this game AND become attractive to top-level WR talent?"

Always focusing on the first question can win you the B1G West, but it sure lowers your ceiling if you never consider the second.

Latest posts