DISH...

I had DirectTV for about 4 years... 1st year pricing wasn't too bad - then through the freakin roof. Customer service was horrible. One of the worst run companies I've ever seen. Oh wait... Mediacom sucks too.

it will happen with every company...next time btn contract is up with direct/mediascum/dish whoever...it will be same old story. Both sides make a BFD about it...point fingers at eachother...cable company will fold pay the big money and pass the cost to us viewers. i dealt with the same thing with mediacom not even 2 years ago....

This...

Why is the BTN using it's fan base as leverage to force a subscription package increase with Dish Network right at the beginning of the football season. Why wasn't this done in June or July when BTN was showing reruns of games in the 90's. The BTN did the same thing with Mediacom a couple years ago as well and right when football season was starting. The BTN is trying to camouflage this and blame it on Dish. Dish doesn't want to raise their rates and pay what you DirectTV people pay each month.
From Dish customer service today:
"Despite having the third most customers in the Big Ten territory, Big Ten Network was requesting DISH customers pay subscriber fees at least a third higher than other major distributors. This increase would be more than what is paid for NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, NHL Network and Golf Channel combined."

Why is the BTN using it's fan base as leverage to force a subscription package increase with Dish Network right at the beginning of the football season. Why wasn't this done in June or July when BTN was showing reruns of games in the 90's. The BTN did the same thing with Mediacom a couple years ago as well and right when football season was starting. The BTN is trying to camouflage this and blame it on Dish. Dish doesn't want to raise their rates and pay what you DirectTV people pay each month.
"Despite having the third most customers in the Big Ten territory, Big Ten Network was requesting DISH customers pay subscriber fees at least a third higher than other major distributors. This increase would be more than what is paid for NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, NHL Network and Golf Channel combined."

Because they can, and now everyone is calling Dish and complaining. Would anyone even care in July? It's all about leverage my friend.

I just called dish and their service rep (who claimed to ne a buckeyes fan and lived in Columbus) said that we wont lose the btn tomorrow. She said negotiations are ongoing and they do not want to lose the channel and said there is still time and we shouldnt miss our games tomorrow.
Dont know if she knows what she was talking about but at least she sounded like she did.

Jasmine (ID: U1J): Hi, my name is Jasmine (ID: U1J). How may I help you?
Jasmine (ID: U1J): Good morning, how are you?
ME: I want to make sure I am going to have BTN tomorrow to watch the football game
ME: Any update?
Jasmine (ID: U1J): We agreed to a short term extension last week, and continue to negotiate in good faith with Big Ten Network.
Jasmine (ID: U1J): No we are not loosing it tomorrow.
ME: Can you guarantee 100% that the BTN will be on tomorrow?
Jasmine (ID: U1J): We are still in negotiations with the BTN to reach a long term agreement.
Jasmine (ID: U1J): Yes.
ME: That is what I needed to hear -- thanks -

Exactly the reason I'm not worried about changing and won't be calling Dish on behalf of BTN. I've never understood this - why do I want to pressure my provider to increase my costs. The exact opposite seems like a more favorable resolution - call BTN and ask them to accept a more reasonable price. I understand for many the price doesn't matter up to a point, but whether or not you like Dish (storminspank - you mad bro?), Dish helps to keep prices down. You don't have to use them, but the anger seems a bit off. I'm not ****** at mediacom or directv for helping prices go up, just choose not to use the providers who I think provide less value.

Jasmine (ID: U1J): Hi, my name is Jasmine (ID: U1J). How may I help you?
Jasmine (ID: U1J): Good morning, how are you?
ME: I want to make sure I am going to have BTN tomorrow to watch the football game
ME: Any update?
Jasmine (ID: U1J): We agreed to a short term extension last week, and continue to negotiate in good faith with Big Ten Network.
Jasmine (ID: U1J): No we are not loosing it tomorrow.
ME: Can you guarantee 100% that the BTN will be on tomorrow?
Jasmine (ID: U1J): We are still in negotiations with the BTN to reach a long term agreement.
Jasmine (ID: U1J): Yes.
ME: That is what I needed to hear -- thanks -

To me she didn't guarantee anything. Only thing she guaranteed was that she didn't answer your questions directly.

Exactly the reason I'm not worried about changing and won't be calling Dish on behalf of BTN. I've never understood this - why do I want to pressure my provider to increase my costs. The exact opposite seems like a more favorable resolution - call BTN and ask them to accept a more reasonable price. I understand for many the price doesn't matter up to a point, but whether or not you like Dish (storminspank - you mad bro?), Dish helps to keep prices down. You don't have to use them, but the anger seems a bit off. I'm not ****** at mediacom or directv for helping prices go up, just choose not to use the providers who I think provide less value.
It's definitely as much the BTN's fault as it is Dish's, but Dish is being made to look like the bad guy. The network first took our games off free TV, now they want to make us pay even more for them. Way to take care of your fans!

To me she didn't guarantee anything. Only thing she guaranteed was that she didn't answer your questions directly.

yup. When I had an online chat with Qwest it went something like this.

Me: So I wont be charged a termination fee at any point?
Her: No
Me: Say "You will not be charged a termination fee at any point"
Her: You will not be charged a termination fee at any point

That came in very handy when they tried to charge me a termination fee. Of course they didn't have any record of the conversation, luckily I did :D

There was a 100% grantee that BTN will be available tomorrow. I've been much happier with Dish than DTV - however if they end up dropping BTN, I will be gone.

Preach it. Amen.

Also a reason why I've dropped them all and don't pay to be able to watch tv. I can go to someone else's house to watch it for free if it's that important.

psst....Find a buddy with Mediacom/DTV and get their login for BTN2GO.....Assuming this game will be on BTN2GO which it might not be.

yup. When I had an online chat with Qwest it went something like this.

Me: So I wont be charged a termination fee at any point?
Her: No
Me: Say "You will not be charged a termination fee at any point"
Her: You will not be charged a termination fee at any point

That came in very handy when they tried to charge me a termination fee. Of course they didn't have any record of the conversation, luckily I did :D

Should have pushed it and tried to see what else she would "say".

Me: Now say "You are a stud and the best lover I ever had"
Her: Ummmmm

I'm hoping they get something put together for this weekend because DirectTV can't install until Tuesday. Thought I might be able to sneak it in earlier if someone cancelled their appt. but no dice.

even if Dish keeps big 10 network, they have already lost a sh!t ton of customers over this. the damage is already done

It's definitely as much the BTN's fault as it is Dish's, but Dish is being made to look like the bad guy. The network first took our games off free TV, now they want to make us pay even more for them. Way to take care of your fans!

Prior to Big Ten network, I got to see about 3 maybe 4 games on free TV...the rest were radio only. Subsequent to that, I did pay for an ESPN College Gameday package at something like $150 or more annually so that I could see a few more games, but even then there was no guarantee of getting all the Iowa games. With BTN...I am guaranteed to see all the games. I like that guarantee. I am not sure that I trust Dish's statement that the BTN wants to charge so much more than others...it is more likely that they are on a prior pricing plan and that once that plan is up, the new contract for the other providers will also be higher. It is the way of the business world...and while the BTN is a business, at least the profits flow back to the member universities.