Did Jon just yada yada yada us?

CJHawkeye

With all due respect to the fact that its your podcast, I felt several points in the assistant coach soap opera podcast were glossed over. The most egregious IMO was the ending where Jon says something like "...and Beau Corrales and Gavin Holmes knew what was going on and so this cost us those two recruits as well, any way, Exile Brewing ad and cut..."

It felt like the fallout that these shenanigans cost us deserved a bit more. I'm not asking for a three hour verbal whipping of two coaches who aren't there to speak for themselves but talk about going the complete opposite of that. Dang.

I do appreciate that Deace keeps you honest a few things.

1) Brian Ferentz can be not unqualified for this job and it still be nepotism. That's what Deace was getting at. If someone blind submits Brian's resume with the names and teams redacted to any other B1G coach they would laugh. That doesn't mean he's going to fail, that doesn't mean he was in NO way qualified. It means he was barely qualified and got the job because... dad. That's nepotism. Nepotism doesn't mean hiring your unqualified relatives, it just means favoring them.

2) Thanks Deace for unequivocally calling out how completely asinine our no visits policy is.

Someone on this board actually complimented Deace so that's a first anyway. Usually, you read something about his weight or his political views in, shall we say, somewhat unfavorable terms.

With all due respect to the fact that its your podcast, I felt several points in the assistant coach soap opera podcast were glossed over. The most egregious IMO was the ending where Jon says something like "...and Beau Corrales and Gavin Holmes knew what was going on and so this cost us those two recruits as well, any way, Exile Brewing ad and cut..."

It felt like the fallout that these shenanigans cost us deserved a bit more. I'm not asking for a three hour verbal whipping of two coaches who aren't there to speak for themselves but talk about going the complete opposite of that. Dang.

I do appreciate that Deace keeps you honest a few things.

1) Brian Ferentz can be not unqualified for this job and it still be nepotism. That's what Deace was getting at. If someone blind submits Brian's resume with the names and teams redacted to any other B1G coach they would laugh. That doesn't mean he's going to fail, that doesn't mean he was in NO way qualified. It means he was barely qualified and got the job because... dad. That's nepotism. Nepotism doesn't mean hiring your unqualified relatives, it just means favoring them.

2) Thanks Deace for unequivocally calling out how completely asinine our no visits policy is.
Yeah it's not a tough thing to figure out how to define nepotism. I agree with you and Deace on that. Brian might very well be qualified enough and do great at it. In fact I like the hire. But that doesn't make the nepotism claim any less valid. It's pretty text book I think.

I really dislike the no visit policy. This fiasco should have told KF that it's unenforceable and only hurts him/school. There are things you can go against the grain on and make yourself look good and benefit yourself on. This isn't one of them... Not even close. It'll be interesting how set in stone that 'policy' will still be going forward...

I don't care for Deace's political views but as long as they're left out of the discussion I'm fine. If I go around boycotting people for personal beliefs that don't appear in their work, I could never watch a Hollywood movie either.

@hawkinn3, Qualified is not a black or white state. He might be qualified but if there were more qualified people who weren't considered that is literally the definition of nepotism. He might be qualified to be an OC somewhere but at B1G school? Typically you see matrixed movement. A position coach at B1G becomes OC at a smaller school. An OC at a power 5 school becomes head coach at a smaller school... then you move up. So where do OCs come from? It depends. Statistically I bet way more power 5 OCs come from small school OC or even small school head coach than come from power 5 position coach.

Is this another thread about Deace or BF? I thought the OP was primarily about the actions of assistant coaches.

I don't care for Deace's political views but as long as they're left out of the discussion I'm fine. If I go around boycotting people for personal beliefs that don't appear in their work, I could never watch a Hollywood movie either.

@hawkinn3, Qualified is not a black or white state. He might be qualified but if there were more qualified people who weren't considered that is literally the definition of nepotism. He might be qualified to be an OC somewhere but at B1G school? Typically you see matrixed movement. A position coach at B1G becomes OC at a smaller school. An OC at a power 5 school becomes head coach at a smaller school... then you move up. So where do OCs come from? It depends. Statistically I bet way more power 5 OCs come from small school OC or even small school head coach than come from power 5 position coach.
Yeah to define 'qualified' when it comes to these jobs is tricky. There's more that goes into it then just what's on the resume you can read. I'd say the number 1 qualification that there is in the coaching profession is relationships. It's why whenever coaches bounce around there's no surprise when they get hired somewhere that there had been a prior relationship of some kind between them. Be it family or not that's how it goes. It's the biggest reason why blacks have a tough time cracking the coaching ranks still. It's not racism. Not even close. It's just a big good ole boys club. You hire who you already know and are comfortable with.... Needless to say KF knows Brian pretty well..

It's funny how long I've listened to Dace and I've always heard about his politics but I've never heard or noticed which side he's on. I don't know how that's even possible.

Deace is spot on with both his political and sporting opinions.
9869953.jpg

Idk, he seems to be more qualified than Tee Martin was when he took over the OC job at one of the most prestigious universities in the country last season.

I get that I raised multiple topics and that just because I started the thread doesn't mean I get to dictate where it goes, but this was really more of a good spirited critique of Jon sort of glossing over (IMO) the very real fallout of the way the coaches allegedly behaved in the Eno situation, which now appears to be out in the public. I don't run a podcast with thousands of listeners, but if I did, I probably wouldn't have ended that discussion that way. It felt like there's a big story about the overall recruiting impact that now that we know the coaches were being at least a little shady, probably could have done with a bit more exposition.

I get that I raised multiple topics and that just because I started the thread doesn't mean I get to dictate where it goes, but this was really more of a good spirited critique of Jon sort of glossing over (IMO) the very real fallout of the way the coaches allegedly behaved in the Eno situation, which now appears to be out in the public. I don't run a podcast with thousands of listeners, but if I did, I probably wouldn't have ended that discussion that way. It felt like there's a big story about the overall recruiting impact that now that we know the coaches were being at least a little shady, probably could have done with a bit more exposition.

I agree and would like to have heard more about the assistant coaches, particularly if Jon knows more than has been shared.

Latest posts