Dickerson is transferring

Why are we just looking at the kids on campus? Why not look at who they beat out for the most recent recruiting class as well?

They haven't made it to campus and have yet to don a Iowa uniform. I stated a simple fact the current roster is left overs and anyone praising this staff's recruiting ability need's to take a closer look. I'm further placing the blame on the assistants and I'm questioning their work ethic.

Wow, a 5 page thread thus far on a kid who was buried at the end of the bench, guess the passion for Iowa basketball is definitely back from the depths of the Lickliter era. This certainly isn't a surprise, kids who don't play transfer all of the time. Good luck to him wherever he lands; considering his past history I wouldn't be surprised to see him not finish up at the next place he lands either.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FoolishFellow

The lesson we learned here is that whenever Fran says someone is "sick" we should always be suspicious. Dickerson was "sick" just like Oglesby was "sick" during the Maryland game.

You got something you'd like to share with the group?

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-69539.html

Hasn't he had depression issues? Not sure Iowa would be a good fit for him, he would probably be better off at a school with a better, less miserable fan base.

23, I don't know if anyone has already responded later in the thread, but if so, my apologies.

The kid had sent a tweet about leaving his HS team for personal reasons and that he was depressed. He later clarified that he did not suffer from depression. So, it seems he had left his team to deal with an abusive father and that that situation was depressing to him. I believe he's back with his team and doing well, now.

23, I don't know if anyone has already responded later in the thread, but if so, my apologies.

The kid had sent a tweet about leaving his HS team for personal reasons and that he was depressed. He later clarified that he did not suffer from depression. So, it seems he had left his team to deal with an abusive father and that that situation was depressing to him. I believe he's back with his team and doing well, now.

Yeah it sounds like a tough situation for the kid, you really got to feel for him. According to some sources, Cal is really high on recruiting the kid and he has retweeted a few of their posts. Maybe he just wants to get as far away from home as possible at this point...cant say I'd blame him

I wish Trey the best of luck. It just was not going to work out with Mike and Sappy ahead of him as well as Jok nailing down the starting 2 guard. He has some skills that neither Mike nor Sapp have so that was interesting.

Trey was likely recruited when there was some uncertainty about Sapp's return after his sophomore year.

I can't speak for all of these other issues that people are guessing on. But I can say that, on the surface, I give Fran credit for solving this problem early He brought him in because he thought he could play PG in the B1G. He never showed any ability to do so. So at least it's just a one-year loss rather than causing problems in the future. He got the scholly back, and can find someone else. Good enough.

Good luck to Dickerson. I was hoping with a little more time and experience he would have came around and demonstrated why he was rated an All American at the JC level. Fran really needs a shake and bake point guard that can bring it if he is ever going to seriously compete for a B1G title. He also needs to recruit a BIG aggressive muscular type of post player who can really bang with the other BIGS in the conference. Is there a Reggie Evans in the house???

Not sure if you're serious? Or what the point is you are trying to make? Ulis would be starting, or playing significant minutes as the backup PG.
lulz
Are you saying that you think Gesell is better than Ulis or are you conceding that Fran would be dumb enough to start Gesell over Ulis?

I wish Trey the best of luck. It just was not going to work out with Mike and Sappy ahead of him as well as Jok nailing down the starting 2 guard. He has some skills that neither Mike nor Sapp have so that was interesting.

Trey was likely recruited when there was some uncertainty about Sapp's return after his sophomore year.

Yeah, I think Fran expected him to compete better for pt but he wasn't as good as Fran had hoped.

If he was not able to get pt this year it's a good thing for both parties that he move on.

Obviously Dickerson was a fall back. JUCOS are a crap shoot but I would still want to know what was available in my state and would be tied in with coaching staffs. Oklahoma, ISU and a lot of others have prospered by some good Iowa JUCOs,

Indian Hills is 90 minutes from Iowa City. Coaches from all over the country stop by. The arrogant staff at Iowa doesn't have time. That's not on Fran that's his assistants. Iowa Western same situation. I've personally known other D1 high school kids that the staff hasn't put the time in with. LAZY or bad. I'll give um the benefit of the doubt and settle with lazy.

I totally agree with the point about JUCOs being toss ups. ISU has had a couple that haven't worked out either (most recently KJ Bluford). Gotta keep trying though as they are good stop-gaps in the event some of your HS recruits don't work out / develop they way you think they will. Dickerson probably saw the writing on the wall in regards to playing time in the future and decided to start the process of finding a new school now (the same way Dorsey-Walker did at ISU earlier this year).

Are there any power forwards or centers out there in the JC Ranks...we need them more than a point guard for next year. Geez, next year will be fine, especially if Uhl develops like I think he will...but we need some muscle underneath to spell Woodbury and Uthoff.

It will be interesting if Fran can coax anyone in...with a great nucleus coming back (four starters)...someone who wants to make a run and get significant time and exposure may show interest. Here's hoping.

I think Uhl is going to be a heck of a player. Not getting much time behind Uthoff/White but that'll change next year.

I wouldn't put money on it but I wouldn't be surprised to see Uhl starting at some point next season. He needs to add some strength which he obviously will. Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Uhl, Woodbury sounds alright to me.

Latest posts