Deusce Hogan In Portal

KF will announce that Petras and Padilla will go into the Spring as co QB1s and will battle for the position. If he is smart, he will not say who won in the Spring and declare he will let it play out in the Fall. He may even hint that they could split some reps in early games. This is not a decision he should make until he has to.

I don't see either guy transferring. Unless they go to a much crappier school, the odds that they beat out incumbents at another school are no better than an injury or performance issue giving them the job back at Iowa. The grass is not always greener.....
Honestly, I think you'll see Brian utilize both of them in the bowl game.
I think Kirk gives the OCs more lease to run their own offense in the bowl games - see the curb stomping of USC.

Maybe he’s just not very good. Probably over-complicating this whole thing.

Maybe the kid just isn’t college football material and he’s a recruiting miss. Happens literally every year that we have a guy or multiple guys who were uber hyped coming out of high school and they never see the field.
I agree. We'll probably find out at his next stop depending on what he does.

I never heard any chatter about him lighting it up for the scout team or anything, not that that is definitive. But there are hundreds of four and five star quarterbacks out of high school who don't pan out at the FBS level. QB is probably one of the hardest positions to predict.

I agree. We'll probably find out at his next stop depending on what he does.

I never heard any chatter about him lighting it up for the scout team or anything, not that that is definitive. But there are hundreds of four and five star quarterbacks out of high school who don't pan out at the FBS level. QB is probably one of the hardest positions to predict.

Aside from the absolute can't miss guy every few years (e.g. Pryor or Lawrence) QB is hard to call. Northwestern has a four star and a five star on their roster (Hilsinki and Hunter Johnson) and they both suck. Absolutely suck. They had a 3 star in Siemian years ago and he is playing in the NFL.

They really haven’t said. Just that he has continued to impress from the spring and now as the scout team qb. Haven’t said what his strengths are just that they have heard from numerous sources he is way ahead of where they thought he’d be.

Well that is great to hear. I did a search on him and found an interview with his high school coach who said he was way ahead of other qbs he has coached as far as footwork and throwing technique. another article said he is about a 4.65 40 yard dash guy but he has good moves. His coach said when he is done being a 3 sport athlete and does passing drills 3-4 times a week all year the speed on his throws will increase but he is accurate now.

And as I have said, if a redshirt freshman can beat out the upper class guys at any position on any team that is great for the team especially if the upper class guys are pretty good.

I did think that KF quote about Petras/Padilla being sick and staying in Iowa City was a bit rough. I honestly don't believe he was sending a message. I think he was just thinking very narrowly in responding to the circumstance. Again, as FryIowa said, we have no way of knowing if this was a big deal or not.

Either way, it's irrelevant....two QBs who are a sophomore and a junior who are 16-4 over the last 2 years.
10 of those 16 coming with one of the least effective offensive lines this team has had in decades. Little chance of really entering a game until you're a Junior. Most likely not starting until you're a senior? Just not how these things play out these days for most QBs who have talent. He thinks he's got it. This is the only move.

Wish him the best. It's sad when anyone leaves the Iowa family....athlete or not. I was heartbroken when my pledge dad transferred to ISU.

I got eviscerated here for telling people last year already this was going to happen.

So… I TOLD YOU SO
Yea, schools are really never going to have 3 QB's that are ready to play anymore. Penn St. ran into this. Free agency is changing it all as that 3rd QB is gunna move on. So, teams are going to be left with a real inexperienced 3rd QB that will be a freshman they are going to have to recruit with the promise that "Hey, the upper two QB's on the depth chart are going to graduate or upper class men, come in and get a year under your belt and you can challenge for the starting spot after a year.".

Not just Jon, Tom Kakert has brought it up numerous times on his podcast. Said Joey Labas might be the next Iowa qb.

So, actually makes me wonder if the Iowa coaches may have had a heart to heart discussion with Duece which would free up a scholly. That happens the end of each year with certain players.

So, actually makes me wonder if the Iowa coaches may have had a heart to heart discussion with Duece which would free up a scholly. That happens the end of each year with certain players.
If all we are hearing about Labas is true, he should know without the talk.

Aside from the absolute can't miss guy every few years (e.g. Pryor or Lawrence) QB is hard to call. Northwestern has a four star and a five star on their roster (Hilsinki and Hunter Johnson) and they both suck. Absolutely suck. They had a 3 star in Siemian years ago and he is playing in the NFL.
Exactly. This is a perfect example....

Free agency is changing it all as that 3rd QB is gunna move on.
I'm kinda ok with that though.

If you have a good QB who's #3 and wants to play, he should be able to do that. Because even if he's good, the clock is always ticking. If he goes somewhere and has to wait 3 years before he gets a shot, that's 3 years he hasn't played a football game and now all of a sudden he's a 22 year old who hasn't competed in any capacity since high school. He's almost washed himself up without ever getting a chance. I can't even for a minute think a college coach should suggest a guy with even a little talent stick around on a hope and a prayer.

The exception to that would be someone like Henry Marchese. He's a kid who everyone including himself knows would never have a shot at the bigs. He'd probably be an NAIA or D3 starter, but never at the P5 level. Knowing that, why not stay at a bigger university with a more desirable degree and get to travel the country and practice with a top 25 football team? I do know Henry Marchese will never have to buy a beer again in Iowa City and he's now written into the history of Hawkeye football with that punt block. Kirk Ferentz

I know that would appeal to me. As a baseball player myself, I definitely know I'd rather walk on and ride the pine for the Hawks than start 30 games for some NAIA school like Dordt or Wesleyan. At the end my degree would be much more appealing in the job market, and I could legit call myself a Hawkeye. It'd be financially smarter too in a lot of cases. Northwestern College in Orange City has an average baseball program, but they don't give full rides (or anything even close to full rides). My freshman coach where I'm at now was an all state pitcher in 2014, the max offer he got from Northwestern would have still left him way more tuition owed than walking on at Minnesota...even after non-resident tuition.

I'm kinda ok with that though.

I'm not OK with it. But that's where we are and wouldn't blame anyone for leveraging it. Cause, that's where we're at.

But, I'm not OK with a lot of things. I think college football shouldn't have a national champion. At least not one anointed by the NCAA. And return bowl games to their original glory.

I think we should all wear woolen varsity sweaters, knickerbockers, and straw skimmer hats to the games. Marching bands should get more love and ours would prominently and uniquely feature bagpipes. We would "rah" and "sis boom bah" for our team and good naturedly rib our rivals.

Other than the overt racism, lack of a polio vaccine, Minnesota being relevant, and Notre Dame being the biggest 'national team'......the good ole days were so much better.

Also. I'm serious. Except about the sweaters and knickerbockers. The straw skimmers, though? With a black/gold/black band? That would be tight. I'm gonna work on bringing that whole thing back. Oh, and the "sis boom bah" stuff. That can stay in the past with the racism and polio.

I'm not OK with it. But that's where we are and wouldn't blame anyone for leveraging it. Cause, that's where we're at.
Why?

What's your valid reason for making a player sit a year if he decides he'll probably never get playing time and football is his dream?

If you're a good welder but the company you're currently working for has you in the paint department, and says it's not likely that you'll ever get moved to the weld department, but you really really like to weld, should you be prevented from welding for a calendar year if you decide to change jobs?

And save your key strokes if your gonna say, "but it's not a job to play college football!!" College football players are in 2021 are there for one thing, and that's to provide a service. That service is playing football, and their payment is their scholarship (for now).

And if you believe they're in college just for an education, then why do you give a shit what they do with their football career? If I decide I like Iowa better than Iowa State, would they make me stop going to college for a year because I transferred?

Yeah that's been a big topic of discussion over at HR. I don't think it's anything Hogan would get pissed about. It was pretty clearly a joke.

Yeah, that's where I stole it from. But I do think it shows where KF's head is at on Hogan. I don't think he makes a joke like that on someone that's been impressing the hell out of him or someone he thinks really highly of.

Yeah, that's where I stole it from. But I do think it shows where KF's head is at on Hogan. I don't think he makes a joke like that on someone that's been impressing the hell out of him or someone he thinks really highly of.
I took it as him joking that if the Hawks were down to their 3rd string QB we might as well stay home because it's really bad. I'm sure that's how he intended it and I'd imagine that's how Hogan took it.

TBH I think fans are making it a way bigger deal that what it is (like normal)

Why?

What's your valid reason for making a player sit a year if he decides he'll probably never get playing time and football is his dream?

If you're a good welder but the company you're currently working for has you in the paint department, and says it's not likely that you'll ever get moved to the weld department, but you really really like to weld, should you be prevented from welding for a calendar year if you decide to change jobs?

And save your key strokes if your gonna say, "but it's not a job to play college football!!" College football players are in 2021 are there for one thing, and that's to provide a service. That service is playing football, and their payment is their scholarship (for now).

And if you believe they're in college just for an education, then why do you give a shit what they do with their football career? If I decide I like Iowa better than Iowa State, would they make me stop going to college for a year because I transferred?

Oh....I don't have a problem with it at all in terms of the player making the move. It's the way it is. The rules/etc. had to change to accommodate it all. The nature of the importance of it in some player's lives has attracted more and more players. The importance of the value of it for certain players exists now that didn't 20...30...40 years ago. I can count on one hand the number of years that the Super Bowl is older than me. And I'm not 'that' old.

Masterlock didn't start expending their entire TV budget on one football game until many years later. There was no Arena League, XFL, CFL, or USFL. A bunch of the current teams didn't even exist. Stan Kroenke could have moved his team without having to pay nearly a BILLION dollars to a bitter city. There were about 5 college football games a week you could watch on TV up through the early 80s. Now you can see every single game just about. Every team can be relevant nationally. Every player. It's all scattered across two 24/hour sports networks....and 24 hour networks dedicated to most of the larger college sports conferences.

So, even if you don't wind up playing a few years as an NFL back up....all those properties need coaches, commentators, scouts, athletic/team/player directors, trainers, writers, you name it. Plus high schools. Even for a minorly successful college quarterback, there's tremendous value and opportunity beyond working at an in-state bank/insurance company. Even autographs and appearances can monetized at much greater value than in the past.

I don't hold it against the players one bit. It's the way it is. I just kinda wish it weren't, but acknowledge if that option didn't exist, it would be horribly unfair to a lot of people. And all those who benefit from their success (teams and players, broadcasters, advertisers, construction workers building stadiums, and people who manage facilities, the people who make/service the products that are being advertised). No single person could make a pencil.