Desmond King Not Happy

I hate the fact that public funds go to support sports teams and their billionaire owners. But cities line up to do it and if one doesn't, they are soon out of the game and the owner goes somewhere else where they can get a better deal. Pretty much sums up what happened in San Diego. And you're right, St. Louis got completely screwed. Until these cities quit giving handouts, it will continue.

Some AA ball club affiliate of the Braves tried to bend our county council and city council over for millions of dollars for a new stadium. They now play in Mississippi or something. The old stadium is still there and it's really nice. They tore up the parking lots and my boy plays little league there now. We got some A team affiliated with the Red Sox and the owner put up a bunch of money to build a beautiful replica of Fenway downtown in exchange for a tax abatement. Win win. The hubris of some of these assholes is unreal, but some of these towns with tertiary teams will do anything to try to stay in the cool kids club. Hell, the NFL is doing all it can to make this arrangement even less attractive to the towns by assigning teams to play in foreign countries and shit. If I was on one of those city councils I'd tell those assholes to get their financing from London or Mexico City before asking me for money.

My personal feeling here is that taking your grievances to social media (or the press, etc.) should be a last resort. Go up the ladder first like a professional.

There's a large wasteland out there of players that acted like divas and made demands, only to find themselves outside the league looking in. It's a dangerous game.

He is a professional and an adult. He is OK to do what he wants. He's done better financially that many here will.

Has he? A 5th rd. pick on his first contract living in California? I get where you are coming from, but he isn't exactly killing it.

Has he? A 5th rd. pick on his first contract living in California? I get where you are coming from, but he isn't exactly killing it.
Especially compared to another fifth round former Hawkeye who also lives in California and IS killing it, or perhaps Kittleing it.

He has a 2.7 ml contract with 2.1 in 2020. Free agent in 21. He's using negotiating skills. Not saying I would...or could, but if he invests 1 mil he can easily make 50k on top of whatever he chooses to do and by a decent modest home cash. Not bad I'd say.

I told my current boss once where to go and survived. He'll be fine.

My personal feeling here is that taking your grievances to social media (or the press, etc.) should be a last resort. Go up the ladder first like a professional.

There's a large wasteland out there of players that acted like divas and made demands, only to find themselves outside the league looking in. It's a dangerous game.

The world you and I grew up in that would be sound advice, but that isn't the world we live in. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as trite and cliche as that sounds, that is what works. For every diva that crashed and burned, I can point out a dude who got paid. Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying I get it.

The world you and I grew up in that would be sound advice, but that isn't the world we live in. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as trite and cliche as that sounds, that is what works. For every diva that crashed and burned, I can point out a dude who got paid. Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying I get it.

He ain't gonna get paid until he gets a new deal and guys who run their mouth really impair their ability to get a new deal unless they are generational level talents. Teams have packages for different looks and the guy clearly isn't in a few of the packages, perhaps because of some weakness the staff sees. His "rating" or whatever may be inflated because the staff is protecting him from certain looks or WRs. The other problem is this shits on the guy who he is splitting playing time with.

I remember back in the day when Trey Stross did the same thing about his playing time with the Texans, where is Trey Stross now?

He ain't gonna get paid until he gets a new deal and guys who run their mouth really impair their ability to get a new deal unless they are generational level talents. Teams have packages for different looks and the guy clearly isn't in a few of the packages, perhaps because of some weakness the staff sees. His "rating" or whatever may be inflated because the staff is protecting him from certain looks or WRs. The other problem is this shits on the guy who he is splitting playing time with.

Try explaining that to Jacksonville Jaguar fans.....all six of them.;)

This...While it may its a way of voicing his frustration he's publicly calling out the organization he's playing for and adding an unwanted piece to his resume. It may pay off, but if it doesn't it may leave a bad taste in the mouth of current management as well as those contemplating pursuing him as a free agent. Demand puts a player in the driver seat in terms of free agency and contract negotiation, if he cuts into that demand (not saying this one instance will do so) he lose some of the negotiating power which could cost him money down the road.

Show me one instance where a guy who wasn't elite-level talent (Desmond King is not) improved his situation by publicly bitching about playing time and threatening to "do something" about it.

Sadly, it is the world we live in. I wasn't implying otherwise. Just pointing out that, IMO, it's not the ideal way to go about it.

And, I agree with Fryowa. I would bet that the number of players who gambled and lost far exceeds the number where whining on social media paid off.

Show me one instance where a guy who wasn't elite-level talent (Desmond King is not) improved his situation by publicly bitching about playing time and threatening to "do something" about it.
Exactly.... I hope his agent was in his ear shortly after he saw this.. How on earth can it help anything? There's literally only one thing it can do and that's hurt him.

Latest posts