Desmond King Not a Captain this Week

why would it surprise you? Do you know Desmond well enough to make that statement?

Name the last time we've had a player give up his captain spot. Saying he gave it up is just being naive in my opinion. Unless he's suspended I'm not going to freak out about it but it's something to keep an eye on

I've coached at the high school level. I always choose captains based on how hard they work, maturity, leadership and so on. It's also changeable during the year. Doesn't have to be a starter, but is helpful. Using a different sport, if my point guard or center midfielder isn't such a leader, they aren't playing those positions. Not all captains need be those positions. With baseball it's the catcher position that must be a leader and unselfish. They have to see the field. Popularity doesn't matter to me. It's their popularity with me. I've been quite successful with doing that. I want a kid that will get in someone's face, including mine and the official if need be (and done correctly) and is respectable on and off the field. Popularity contests don't always do that. I rarely have issues with motivation. My teams typically overachieve, though coaching a lot of talent is really fun. I want a kid who is willing to take them self out if it is better for the team. I've had a captain say he couldn't keep up with the speed and suggested another player.
blog-signs-that-youre-a-micromanager.png

Name the last time we've had a player give up his captain spot. Saying he gave it up is just being naive in my opinion. Unless he's suspended I'm not going to freak out about it but it's something to keep an eye on
My guess is he's perfectly fine giving up his captain position so that more seniors can be captains during the year. He seems to be that type of team player.

Nope, actually cont-rare. If you want a good team you build ownership in the program. You are really only as good as your weakest player. It's the best way I've found to get there. A sports team isn't a popularity contest though on many teams it is. Most coaches wimp out. You get players hungry to play and be leaders. Pretty soon I don't have to do much in a game. I've built coaches on the field. If I much have less talent on my team, you likely can only beat my teams once. I've taken many teams from terrible to playing for championships this way. Players are not guaranteed starting positions. As a senior if you made it that far and not cut, you will get a start and you know it. If you can't give 100% on the court/field, you are coming out. No plays off. I let players call plays that I can over ride if need be. Players know what is going on at the micro level better than a coach often.

Nope, actually cont-rare. If you want a good team you build ownership in the program. You are really only as good as your weakest player. It's the best way I've found to get there. A sports team isn't a popularity contest though on many teams it is. Most coaches wimp out. You get players hungry to play and be leaders. Pretty soon I don't have to do much in a game. I've built coaches on the field. If I much have less talent on my team, you likely can only beat my teams once. I've taken many teams from terrible to playing for championships this way. Players are not guaranteed starting positions. As a senior if you made it that far and not cut, you will get a start and you know it. If you can't give 100% on the court/field, you are coming out. No plays off. I let players call plays that I can over ride if need be. Players know what is going on at the micro level better than a coach often.
screen-shot-2016-05-31-at-12-03-49-am.png

so your saying the leadership group suddenly just turned on DK and voted him out? Guy must be a real d^ck for that to happen.

Have we ever had a player voluntarily give up their captain spot? I'm guessing something happened off the field with Desmond. Unless it results in a suspension or grows into a big problem I'm not going to freak out about it but I do think something happened to result in him losing his spot

As of now, I am not going to read anything into this. I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date. Based on what I saw Saturday, King and Jewell were the only consistent guys on D.

As of now, I am not going to read anything into this. I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date. Based on what I saw Saturday, King and Jewell were the only consistent guys on D.

Bingo. There is no smoke here to indicate fire. Until we hear something different, this is a non story.

Not trying to nitpick, but isn't that a bit of a bold statement to make 3 games into the season. Not sure we've seen enough after 3 games to say this is a bad team. I think we've seen enough to say its not a NC contender, but I think your speculating a bit to make that statement this early in the year.

We lost to a division 2 team at HOME. We are a bad team and did something historically inept.

We lost to a division 2 team at HOME. We are a bad team and did something historically inept.

That Division I team (FCS-level) is probably at least a top-50 team overall if you consider FBS and FCS together. Now, a top 15 team losing to a top 50 team at home is still a bad loss, but it is also fairly common and not an indicator of historical ineptitude. Losing to ISU would have been much more embarrassing overall; for that matter, the 2014 loss to ISU WAS much more embarrassing overall. I am not going to get too hung up on the FCS-label when evaluating this loss.

As I said, certainly a bad loss that highlights one of the consistent flaws of a coach I really like and appreciate overall. But hopefully it will lead to improvements and better performances going forward. I will not write off the team or the season until I get more data.

You mean losing to a 5x FCS champion that most BCS programs wouldn't schedule. A top tier FCS program beating a ranked BCS program only seems "historically inept" because most top 25 BCS programs wouldn't schedule them. Let's let the season play out before we're a "bad team".

I agree that it's probably much ado about nothing. Maybe it's a simple as mixing things up a little bit now that we've suffered our first regular season loss in nearly 2 calendar years.

But it's certainly something worth keeping an eye open for as well as it's not like it was Vandeberg that got demoted. It's a consensus 1st Team AA, Thorpe Award winner that lost his captain spot.

Word has it that it's a mix of motivation for the O-line and a mix of King laying into some players for their lack of effort.

Don't think it's a team chemistry issue, yet

Word has it that it's a mix of motivation for the O-line and a mix of King laying into some players for their lack of effort.

Don't think it's a team chemistry issue, yet

It either is (or we wouldn't be hearing about it, or KF is making it one.

So only a Captain can criticize? Or the guy carrying the ball gets to criticize.

If Wadley was cleared to get more carries, NDSU doesn't win that game. They had no match for the speed. Speed is why you can't survive on 2/3 star recruits across the board. Wadley slipped through the cracks on size. W/O Wadley Iowa is in a world of hurt. Without a speed demon at wide out, Iowa is still in a bunch of hurt.

Latest posts