Desmond King: Iowa "outcoached"

When every outstanding athelete that goes through the program ends up in the doghouse, there is an ego problem, and it isn't the players' ego.

Name 2 players that ended in the doghouse B/c of ego battles with the coach and any noob on HN will be able to rattle off 50 that were able to "walk the line" (and yes, I use that term loosely) to become great Hawkeye players or potential NFL tryouts/talents.

Your straw man is a straw man.

For sure he should be criticized just not by a player on a team. King is a part of the team that is an embarrassment he is a part of the problem and shouldn't be running his mouth. Nothing good can come from it no matter how true it is.

I already agreed with you that he shouldn't have said it. but he did. have you watched the interview?

but since he did say it, he is right. You at least agree that we were out coached, today, right?

For sure he should be criticized just not by a player on a team. King is a part of the team that is an embarrassment he is a part of the problem and shouldn't be running his mouth. Nothing good can come from it no matter how true it is.

He didn't "run his mouth". He answered a question. Listen to the video and see the entire quote.

Nothing good is happening currently. We are currently being coached and playing like a 4-8 team.

I already agreed with you that he shouldn't have said it. but he did. have you watched the interview?

but since he did say it, he is right. You at least agree that we were out coached, today, right?
Agree with every word.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Outcoached.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ew2xKEB4Es">https://t.co/ew2xKEB4Es</a></p>&mdash; Chad Leistikow (@ChadLeistikow) <a href="">October 1, 2016</a></blockquote>

Good for you Desmond. The Ferentz contract is to Iowa what Joe Mauer's is to Minnesota. Both men should be embarrassed to cash their paychecks.
Ferentz is lazy and complacent. His current contract is probably the biggest contract mistake ever made in college football. Barta must have had a stroke when he gave ferentz the contract. Where in the hell did he think Ferentz was going to go? Then he hands out $600,000 contracts to a bunch of average assistants.
. Not sure how Ferentz sleeps at night.
Too angry right now to even type.

Why would he? If you didn't have to work to get money, would you? (At this point Kirk has enough money to last his entire life. I'm just wondering what really motivates him. )

What motivates him is simple he gets to "play" coaching college football. No matter what he does he has his job and there is no stress at all...lucky guy I guess.

If King came back to win a NC he might score a 5 on the Wunderlich test. I could care less how many millions he risked he's not bigger than the program. He played his butt off but blasting your coaches is weak. He should've blasted his teammates for the lack of execution. He will be sat and justifiably so.

Yeah what a crappy leader trying to lead by telling the truth. So everyone should sit on the truth and shut up? Hes not a subordinate to the program hes a competitor who came back to compete and his coaches have thrown it all away

Good for you Desmond. The Ferentz contract is to Iowa what Joe Mauer's is to Minnesota. Both men should be embarrassed to cash their paychecks.
Ferentz is lazy and complacent. His current contract is probably the biggest contract mistake ever made in college football. Barta must have had a stroke when he gave ferentz the contract. Where in the hell did he think Ferentz was going to go? Then he hands out $600,000 contracts to a bunch of average assistants.
. Not sure how Ferentz sleeps at night.
Too angry right now to even type.
The really crazy part is that it was talked about for years (locally and nationally) how the last contract handcuffed Iowa and was very one sided. What does Barta do? Doubles down because of a few games. Someone that clueless in business should not be allowed to run his household expenses, let alone an institution with 100 million dollar budget.

Because they dont. Players reflect the coach. Apathy is the name of the game

Kirk shouldn't show any interest in winning. It's to his advantage to get fired. Look at it like a prenuptial agreement. Some rich guy promises you 34 million dollars if/when you get divorced. From that moment forward getting divorced is actually a positive for you. The only reason you married the old geezer was for the money. And now you can have the money and your freedom.

Go check out the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes agreement for more on this topic.

Name 2 players that ended in the doghouse B/c of ego battles with the coach and any noob on HN will be able to rattle off 50 that were able to "walk the line" (and yes, I use that term loosely) to become great Hawkeye players or potential NFL tryouts/talents.

Your straw man is a straw man.

DJK. Adam Robinson. Brandon Wehger. Derek Willes. Tevaun Smith. Benny Sapp. Emmanuel Ogwo. All talented atheletes. All kicked off or underutilized. Many because of their "lip" or attitude. That's the last 8 years. You could argue Brad Banks ahould have started an additional year.

Other than Dallas Clark, and Shaun Greene, Iowa hasn't had any skilled position players make the NFL and play. Name your 400.

Post game private coaches meeting..."Dude, can you believe we have these contracts, rope a dope, coach, you da man." "Hey, how many games we got left before we can go on the cruise?"

Kinda feels like DJK 2.0 to me. All the ability in the world, but Ferentz will not put up with a personality that questions his coaches or his coaching.

DJK. Adam Robinson. Brandon Wehger. Derek Willes. Tevaun Smith. Benny Sapp. Emmanuel Ogwo. All talented atheletes. All kicked off or underutilized. Many because of their "lip" or attitude. That's the last 8 years. You could argue Brad Banks ahould have started an additional year.

Other than Dallas Clark, and Shaun Greene, Iowa hasn't had any skilled position players make the NFL and play. Name your 400.

He didn't say "skilled position players" he just said players and that's true. We've had a lot of defensive players and offensive linemen at Iowa who went on to have good careers in the NFL.

Also, your list up there is ridiculous. Tevaun Smith was only underutilized because of our offense, not because of anything he did or said. Derek Willies transferred out after his freshman year. It wasn't like he was buried on the bench until he was a senior. Robinson and Wegher got into trouble off the football field. I don't remember if they were kicked off or quit, but either way it wasn't because of their "lip" or "attitude" it was simply because they made poor choices.

Finally, looking at your quote literally, "Iowa hasn't had any skilled position players make the NFL and play" is simply not true. Assuming we are just talking about Ferentz players then you have to include Scott Chandler, Brandon Myers, CJ Fiederowicz and several others.

He didn't say "skilled position players" he just said players and that's true. We've had a lot of defensive players and offensive linemen at Iowa who went on to have good careers in the NFL.

Also, your list up there is ridiculous. Tevaun Smith was only underutilized because of our offense, not because of anything he did or said. Derek Willies transferred out after his freshman year. It wasn't like he was buried on the bench until he was a senior. Robinson and Wegher got into trouble off the football field. I don't remember if they were kicked off or quit, but either way it wasn't because of their "lip" or "attitude" it was simply because they made poor choices.

Finally, looking at your quote literally, "Iowa hasn't had any skilled position players make the NFL and play" is simply not true. Assuming we are just talking about Ferentz players then you have to include Scott Chandler, Brandon Myers, CJ Fiederowicz and several others.

Fair points on the fact that he didn't say skilled position players. As for Wegher and Robinson, the weed possession and womanizing caused them to leave the team, but I think the coaching staff had something to do with pushing them out (moreso Wegher). Robinson broke team rules, but he should have been kept on the team after the suspension. Wegher was probably hazed out after the locker room fallout due to what he did. And that caused the bulk of our failures the next few seasons as we had no rbs that could read a block.

As for our own offence limiting DW, didn't limit Matt Vandeberg, or Marvin McNutt.

But the players that stay are all humble hard workers. Nobody stays that does not fit that mold. And lots of high acheivers don't (not just in sports).

You're right, I forgot about the other TEs. Although I did say that they should be rarer athletes and harder to get.

I didn't mention linemen because although they matter a ton to how good a team is, you can have the best line in the world and still achieve nothing if you have no skill position players. Great line, no backs -- 2004. And they are the easiest position to recruit as they are the most plentiful group of players. So we haven't had a year without a serviceable line, and had many years with great lines and serviceable backs and qbs. But our offense has never been great, because of lack of talent at the skill positions.

However, I was wrong on those point, and I concede them. But, my main point was that people with a certain personality type and Ferentz don't mix -- in the media, on his roster, and in his coaching staffs (Chuck Long, former Hayden staff). He doesn't like to be challenged. Lots of really talented players have that personality type.

Look, I can understand not beating OSU very often because of talent. But getting out talented by NW and NDSU because you lose the diamonds in the rough you do find is not something our teams have the luxury of affording. Especially when you don't recruit well in general in the first place.

King telling me something I've know for 17 years... However I'm just some knucklehead who can spout on a forum...

King shouldn't be saying out loud what most people know to be true.

That's not how humans are allowed to behave.

Fitz always outcoaches us on game day but most of the time we have the talent to overcome it. Fitz knows how to attack our D. That QB looked like Joe Montana today.

Fitz always outcoaches us on game day but most of the time we have the talent to overcome it. Fitz knows how to attack our D. That QB looked like Joe Montana today.

Lately, very few do not out coach us on gameday. I am the closest to the ledge as I have ever been. It's an absurdly awful feeling.

Latest posts