Derek Jeter-

To me Derek Jeter is very similiar to Cal Ripken. Only Ripken was moved to 3rd base due to lack of range while Jeter was not. I think this is directly related to the 4 rings early in his career giving Jeter enough power to block any move away from SS.

Oh by the way Ripken did win 2 Gold Gloves at SS in the early 90s.

As proven by ARod not playing SS for the Yankees. Arod was an exponentially better defensive SS than Jeter. It wasn't even close.

Most people don't know that A-Rod won the AL Gold Glove at SS his last 2 years in Texas before coming to the Yankees, but he was moved to 3rd base rather than move the player with 0 Gold Gloves at the time (he has won some since then).

But Jeter is such a great guy and team player ;)

Last edited:
Difference between Arod's GG's and Jeter's were that ARod earned them with his glove, not with his pinstripes, good looks, gamerness, or hits. That being said, many many gold gloves have been handed out to people who didn't earn them. David Wright being the most recent that came to mind.

I am a huge Yankee fan, I watch EVERY GAME the last 3 years...I mean I tape them and watch them all. He is always talked about for his liability in the field etcetera...Joe Morgan who I really respect says this about Jeter, "If I were to start my own franchise, I would start it with one player, Derek Jeter. He is everything that baseball should be, a competitor that is a class act on and off the field."
He simply gets it done! He is much like hawkeye football, not flashy statistic wise but just wins!

I am a huge Yankee fan, I watch EVERY GAME the last 3 years...I mean I tape them and watch them all. He is always talked about for his liability in the field etcetera...Joe Morgan who I really respect says this about Jeter, "If I were to start my own franchise, I would start it with one player, Derek Jeter. He is everything that baseball should be, a competitor that is a class act on and off the field."
He simply gets it done! He is much like hawkeye football, not flashy statistic wise but just wins!

Joe Morgan is one of, if not the worst, baseball analyst out there. The fact that he would pick Jeter to start his franchise shows how idiotic he is.

I agree that he is a class act on and off the field. I respect him very much, and he most certainly is a winner. No question. I'm simply talking about defense. That's all. That being said, he wouldn't be in my top 20 of people I start a franchise with. Especially at this point in his career.

Oh by the way Ripken did win 2 Gold Gloves at SS in the early 90s.

Gold Gloves do not measure a person's defensive ability. In 1989, Ripken made 3 errors the entire season and didn't win the Gold Glove. There are many examples of people having incredible years like that and not winning one. Of course, he did have 11 and 12 the next two years and won the award. Kind of puzzling.

Omar>Ozzie Smith> ........everyone else

You're a better man than me if you can pick between Ozzie and Omar! ;) But seriously to me, picking between the two of them would be like deciding between the lump sum or annual payments for winning $200 million in the lottery.

I would love to see the day where we got back to the type of middle infield that played for their glove, even if they might be a bit of a liability at the plate. I love defense and love to watch it, especially when I go to games in person.

Better defensively? Yes

Better offensively? Hell no

Better all around that Jeter? Uber Hell no

I was just naming a better defensive shortstop from that time period as I was asked. I totally agree with your above statements, except that I might put an h-e-double-hockey-stick in front of the defensive "yes". ;)

I'd take Ernie Banks (even though I know he switched to 1b later in his career), Larkin,ARod, Honus Wagner, and Alan Trammell over Jeter historically off the top of the dome. He's definitely a great player. I think anyone who says he's the greatest ever is nuts though.

Last edited:
I'd take Ernie Banks (even though I know he switched to 1b later in his career), Larkin,ARod, Honus Wagner, and Alan Trammell over Jeter historically off the top of the dome. He's definitely a great player. I think anyone who says he's the greatest ever is nuts though.

Alan Trammell? Really? Alan Trammell over Jeter? Get Real.

Alan Trammell? Really? Alan Trammell over Jeter? Get Real.

It's the closest race there, but yes I would. WAY better defensively. Very good hitter. Jeter plays in a little league park. Put Trammell in Yankee stadium and the offensive numbers would be much closer.

thats all ihave to say about that

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztz0NLY_MLI]YouTube - Ozzie Smith Flip[/ame]

Larkin over Jeter....and I'm nuts? Jeter will have 3,000 hits. Jeter has the most post season hits ever. Jeter has multiple rings. Jeter has started at short for the NY Yankees for almost 15 years. Jeter never got caught doing roids. I might give you Ernie, but there isn't anyone who's career I would choose at SS over Jeter.

In regards to Honus Wagner, maybe we can change this to best SS ever in the "modern" era.

Larkin over Jeter....and I'm nuts? Jeter will have 3,000 hits. Jeter has the most post season hits ever. Jeter has multiple rings. Jeter has started at short for the NY Yankees for almost 15 years. Jeter never got caught doing roids. I might give you Ernie, but there isn't anyone who's career I would choose at SS over Jeter.

In regards to Honus Wagner, maybe we can change this to best SS ever in the "modern" era.

Over ARod???? Really?

Latest posts