Decision 2012: Vandy or Rudock

Who would you rather have as Iowa's QB right now?

• James Vandenberg

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Jake Rudock

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm somewhat torn on this....

On the one hand, from a passing standpoint, it is obvious that something is going on. Mechanically, he doesn't look right and either he or the receivers is not making the correct pre-snap read. He is also missing a boatload of open receivers that could have gone for big gains and instead checks down way too much..

On the other hand, quarterback play is about so much more than passing yards and mechanics. It's about leadership, toughness, getting the offense out of a bad play, etc. From all accounts, JVB excels in this area. This is the same guy who challenged Angerer and got choked out to the point of passing out and still got up and wanted more. Those are the kinds of guys KF loves. JVB also seems to have the complete support and respect of all his teammates. That goes a long way on a young football team.

So all in all, at this point I still lean towards keeping JVB and hopefully some of the kinks can be worked out over the next 2 weeks during the bye week.

I'm somewhat torn on this....

On the one hand, from a passing standpoint, it is obvious that something is going on. Mechanically, he doesn't look right and either he or the receivers is not making the correct pre-snap read. He is also missing a boatload of open receivers that could have gone for big gains and instead checks down way too much..

On the other hand, quarterback play is about so much more than passing yards and mechanics. It's about leadership, toughness, getting the offense out of a bad play, etc. From all accounts, JVB excels in this area. This is the same guy who challenged Angerer and got choked out to the point of passing out and still got up and wanted more. Those are the kinds of guys KF loves. JVB also seems to have the complete support and respect of all his teammates. That goes a long way on a young football team.

So all in all, at this point I still lean towards keeping JVB and hopefully some of the kinks can be worked out over the next 2 weeks during the bye week.

I have not seen this so much for JVB so far this year. He may be tough, but a leader? He seems lost, and has a glazed over look on his face. He may be thinking too much or something?? I'm not saying JR would be better, he didn't look better in the open scrimmage, but maybe he wouldn't play so scared.
I think JVB will stay because he's not turning the ball over. So the question is, do you want a guy who might through an INT once in awhile, but in when the game is on the line, will nut up and take you down the field (not saying JR is this either, don't know at this point,) or do you want someone who is exta careful with the ball but will have very few explosive plays?
I would love to see JR on the field at some point just so the coaches, players, and fans can see what he can do. I can't imagine he would be much worse. The only way that would be possible is if he missed most receivers AND turned the ball over a lot.

Jake Vandensherman is as "good" as he's gonna get. That premise should lead to a relatively easy conclusion.

Hah! Nice name combo. I like how people are assuming Vandy is the best option. He's the most experienced and that is the primary thing Kirk looks for, we all know it. It seems like we were all having these same kind of discussions back in '08 saying, "Stanzi isn't going to be any better than JC, I think the coaches know best." Once Stanzi got his feet wet, he was one of Iowa's better QB's the last several decades.
If results dictate it's time to make a change, I hope the coaches don't just keep beating their heads against the wall.

Watching the game on TV Sat. (Mowins and Galloway just awful btw) there was a mention of how Jerry Kill gives the second string QB just as many reps as the starter with the starting offense. Why don't all coaches do this? Seems logical that if the most important player on offense goes down, his replacement is comfortable with the personnel and knows the plays well.
One last thought here before I get out of this thread, One of the short punts Iowa was lined up for on Saturday had Weinke back there and Minnesota showed they were going to attempt the block and Iowa then changed their lineup..... Was this an attempt by Iowa to do a fake punt? It looks like they were going to do attempt it, then chickened out and called the time out. I want to see that happen. Weinke is the perfect punter to have in that situation. Dude throws.

Last edited:
Again, this is not something I saw, but a close friend of mine who was there told me it's true, during pre-season camp, Rudock threw a ball from the Iowa sideline into an open window in the pressbox.

u think MN took our running game away? why, because of the stats?

not saying MSU won't give us some problems with there D and D-line cause they will, and should.

But we could have easily run for another 100 yards or more on Saturday, but it was pretty obvious we were working on some formations and passing, which is MUCH more needed than averaging 7 yards/carry against Minny.

I am not sure what to expect but I think we will see some pretty conservative play early and hope we can execute. I believe we will have a chance in the game, but have to control (note I didn't say stop) Bell...and....we have to establish some form of a running game early... the rest is on execution and limiting mistakes and penalties.

Do none of you remember how long it took for Kirk to find a seat for Jake C on the bench? JVB isn't going anywhere.

Kirk is obviously not a history buff, because your supposed to learn from your mistakes not keep beating your head against a brick wall of stubbornness. Come on coach, you should have got the back up some playing time last week.

The safties were 10 yards from the L.O.S, they were blitzing both corners, it's called loading the box....did you watch the same game I did? Not saying we should have abandoned the run game but we ran the offense according to the defensive sets we were facing.

Again, this is not something I saw, but a close friend of mine who was there told me it's true, during pre-season camp, Rudock threw a ball from the Iowa sideline into an open window in the pressbox.
I'm reading this on the inter web so it must be true.

Latest posts