Decision 2012: Vandy or Rudock

Who would you rather have as Iowa's QB right now?

• James Vandenberg

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Jake Rudock

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to see them rotate series for a few games and then let the more successful player start.

Why even ask this question? Your starting QB had a pretty good year last year...and it's a new offense. If he was the only one who has struggled, fine, the question becomes an interesting one three or four games from now. However, NIU, he was running for his life...Iowa State, his receivers dropped several which killed us. CMU...he drove his team to get a score to put us up 8 points...he wasn't on the hands team for the onside kick, didn't make the personal foul to put them in our territory, and certainly didn't fall down on the five yard line, defending the WR who scored the their last touchdown.

The other thing is that this question shows you know nothing about your head coach. He's going to have his player's back as he feels, rightly so, his QB is drawing too much of the fire for the start to the season. This question may be different at the 9 or 10 game mark if he's still struggling. Until then, he's earned the right for there to be no controversy.

I don't understand the question. As long as JVB is healthy and as long as we're not in a blowout he will take all the snaps. The Captain won't have it any other way.

When Stanzi got hurt in 2009, JVB had a good game against OSU and people were calling for him to be the starter. Now nobody thinks he's worth a crap. Funny. I'm not saying JVB is good, but he is obviously the best we have, which is scary for next year.

I voted undecided. My feeling is that JVB continues starting until Iowa is mathematically out of the Legends hunt. I would add if Iowa were to get in a game where it is being blown away Kirk needs to bring someone off the bench if only to get a little experience. Looking over the last 19 games that JVB has started Iowa is slightly better than .500. It isn't all his fault, but we cannot expect receivers to be perfect either if we accept less than perfection at the QB position.

The MSU game will be JVB opportunity to demonstrate he can QB under pressure. If he isn't able then let's see what the others are able to do.

He hasn't been able to QB with out pressure.

Yesterdays performance was eye opening to me.

Vandy has to get some credit for the success of the running game. He is doing a great job of getting them in the correct play at the line of scrimmage. This is probably one of the biggest obstacles to the younger guys seeing the field; they are likely well behind Vandy in this regard.

As I stated, Ruddock comes from a powerhouse HS football program in Florida that regularly puts out D-1 talent and challenges for state titles.
Thats a pretty impressive pedigree. So based solely on that, I am guessing that Ruddock will be a pretty darn good QB.

Then again, maybe he wont. But I have seen JVB this season. And he looks pretty bad right now.

Holy **** you can't be serious......

As I stated, Ruddock comes from a powerhouse HS football program in Florida that regularly puts out D-1 talent and challenges for state titles.
Thats a pretty impressive pedigree. So based solely on that, I am guessing that Ruddock will be a pretty darn good QB.

Then again, maybe he wont. But I have seen JVB this season. And he looks pretty bad right now.

Wow if that is all you are going on, i am sure glad you are not the one making decisions.

Interesting that JVB is getting barely over 50% of the vote -- about the consistency he's demonstrated on the field so far. In other words, a crap shoot whenever The Offensive takes the field (and even worse when it's a passing down.)

I think if one option was JVB but get JR (or whoever) 2 series a game, it would be a landslide. Sounds like even those voting JVB "right now" would like to see this. Frankly, based on 5 games and the number of 3+outs, there would be absolutely zero harm done if JR had taken a couple series.

It is no secret that I have a serious crush on Rudock. He was the greatest Qb in the history of Florida HS, and VandenFarve is the best QB in the history of Keokuk. He clearly doesn't understand Grandpa Gregg's horizontal passing offense. Rudock is the only QB who had experience with an offense developed past 1978, so even if he is young, he's the right choice.

For those of you who have not seen him in practice, in preseason he stood on the 25 yard line and hit the cross barr of the goal post 11 times in a row with passes. VandenFarve can barely hit the ground 11 times in a row with the ball.

It is no secret that I have a serious crush on Rudock. He was the greatest Qb in the history of Florida HS, and VandenFarve is the best QB in the history of Keokuk. He clearly doesn't understand Grandpa Gregg's horizontal passing offense. Rudock is the only QB who had experience with an offense developed past 1978, so even if he is young, he's the right choice.

For those of you who have not seen him in practice, in preseason he stood on the 25 yard line and hit the cross barr of the goal post 11 times in a row with passes. VandenFarve can barely hit the ground 11 times in a row with the ball.

Cerious?

I can't come out and say Rudock will be better but he sure looked like the real deal out of HS. Vandy looked awfully awful saturday.

Cerious?

I can't come out and say Rudock will be better but he sure looked like the real deal out of HS. Vandy looked awfully awful saturday.

Super serial. I saw it with my own eyes. I also have it on good authority, although I did not see it, but Rudock tied Keenan Davis in a sprint from the 20 to the goal line in practice.

Also, he's amazing and I think I want to kiss his face.

Do none of you remember how long it took for Kirk to find a seat for Jake C on the bench? JVB isn't going anywhere.

Without seeing practices I don't know how any of us can make a decision like this. Are all we going off on is Vandy looks bad so let's just see what Rudocks got? I would hope the coaches are starting the players that give Iowa the best chance to win.

This is very true, but the coaches can also see how JVB is playing in the game. They have no idea how Rudock will do. Some kids are completely different when it's game time. Maybe JVB is lights out in practice, but that is not the case on game day.

To me JVB looks like a QB scared to be the cause to lose a game. The announcers even noticed it on Saturdays game, and we all know they are idiots. He hesitates the throw and causes an open man to be covered. To me it seems he lacks confidence and is 2nd guessing his discussions. In person you can also see he panics and has not field vision. It is like watching a mini Fitzpatrick for you Bills fans out there. Very frustrating watching both you teams struggle in the same way.

JVB is struggling you can't deny it, and all we are doing here is talking. If I did get paid to make the choices; I would have given Rudock a chance in the 2nd half of the ISU game. KF is loyal to a fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts