Decision 2012: Vandy or Rudock

Who would you rather have as Iowa's QB right now?

• James Vandenberg

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Jake Rudock

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OccupyKinnick

There's been a lot of criticism about JVB, and rightfully so. But I'm curious, would you rather see Rudock out there? Personally, I'm on the fence about it.

Rudock deserves a look, JVB is beyond struggling. Wisky's freshman qb played pretty darn good at Nebraska last night till he got hurt. Build for the future is what I say, no more rebuilding excuses next season.

I voted undecided. My feeling is that JVB continues starting until Iowa is mathematically out of the Legends hunt. I would add if Iowa were to get in a game where it is being blown away Kirk needs to bring someone off the bench if only to get a little experience. Looking over the last 19 games that JVB has started Iowa is slightly better than .500. It isn't all his fault, but we cannot expect receivers to be perfect either if we accept less than perfection at the QB position.

The MSU game will be JVB opportunity to demonstrate he can QB under pressure. If he isn't able then let's see what the others are able to do.

I agree eyekwah, Michigan St will take away our running game from the get go, and not wait till the second half like MN. JVB will have two weeks to prepare for their defense, let's hope he shows some improvement or it's going to be a long afternoon of cursing under our breath as he throws another pass 15 yards over the head or 5 yards in front of the receiver day.

I voted undecided. My feeling is that JVB continues starting until Iowa is mathematically out of the Legends hunt. I would add if Iowa were to get in a game where it is being blown away Kirk needs to bring someone off the bench if only to get a little experience. Looking over the last 19 games that JVB has started Iowa is slightly better than .500. It isn't all his fault, but we cannot expect receivers to be perfect either if we accept less than perfection at the QB position.
I'm always glad when you post because it actually is logical and makes since. Now I will get off my knees.
The MSU game will be JVB opportunity to demonstrate he can QB under pressure. If he isn't able then let's see what the others are able to do.

Without seeing practices I don't know how any of us can make a decision like this. Are all we going off on is Vandy looks bad so let's just see what Rudocks got? I would hope the coaches are starting the players that give Iowa the best chance to win.

I voted Ruddock. JVB has lost his confidence. He is scared in the pocket and is quick to check down. He has happy feet and throws off his back foot way too much.
IMO, the WRs dont have confidence in him either. That may be why they dont run the hot routes. Or they dont see the need to run the hot routes, but JVB freaks out and throws the hot route.
Either way, against a stout defense, JVB will cost us big time.
I would rather get the next in line some reps. Ruddock comes from one of the best HS football programs in the nation. He should get the nod.

Jake Vandensherman is as "good" as he's gonna get. That premise should lead to a relatively easy conclusion.

I would really like to know how you all are so sure Rudock can cut the mustard... So typical

We never really ever know. Just like Stanzi, Banks. :).. Will probably not know until next season.

So RoseBowl if JVB goes down? Then we have no capable QB behind him, I find that very hard to believe. Weisman is quite a nice surprise isn't he!.. :)

I would really like to know how you all are so sure Rudock can cut the mustard... So typical

As I stated, Ruddock comes from a powerhouse HS football program in Florida that regularly puts out D-1 talent and challenges for state titles.
Thats a pretty impressive pedigree. So based solely on that, I am guessing that Ruddock will be a pretty darn good QB.

Then again, maybe he wont. But I have seen JVB this season. And he looks pretty bad right now.

Didnt vote didnt read. Id bet 90% of the people in this thread havent even seen Ruddock practice. Who gives a **** who they think should play.

Last edited:
I think Vandy should still start. Imho, he is better than McCann, Jake the Snake, Sherman, etc (on all of the average to below average QBs Iowa has had as of late). Definitely is behind guys like Stanzi, Banks, Tate, Chandler, etc.

I think he is worse this year than last year. It seems, QBs typically regress under Ferentz in their senior years when they started at least the year before. I partially blame the new system under GD this year on this. I blamed Stanzi's regression under KOK trying to coach the interceptions out of him.

I think Rudock should probably see a series or two fairly soon in one of our upcoming games. This has been a weakness under Ferentz coached teams getting the back-up QB reps in games. I blame this on all of the close games we have under Ferentz and Ferentz's conservative ways. Under Hayden, our back-up QBs were able to get into games because Fry was not afraid to run-up the score on bad opponents. This is something I wish Ferentz would take more advantage of when we play inferior competition.

Rudock could have seen at least one series yesterday when we were up 24-0. I definitely think Rudock should see a series in East Lansing as I think we have little to no shot of winning there and it could get ugly. If it is a close game and no injuries to Vandy, Rudock will not see the field.

There's been a lot of criticism about JVB, and rightfully so. But I'm curious, would you rather see Rudock out there? Personally, I'm on the fence about it.

What bothers me is this game had the making of a game where a backup could have gotten some time, but KF went conservative again.

What bothers me is this game had the making of a game where a backup could have gotten some time, but KF went conservative again.

We tried to get the passing game in synch. If we were looking to do anything else, Weisman would have ended up with 250. It was obvious that they were giving the passing game some practice with a 'real' defense in a real game.

I would like to see the backup QB just get in a little experience during mop up time of the game. Clearly the Minnesota game was over at 31-7 and even at 24-7. I am not saying that Vandy isn't the best we have and shouldn't be starting but it would be good to give the other guys some time in games like this one to get their feet wet.

Didnt vote didnt read. Id bet 90% of the people in this thread have even seen Ruddock practice. Who gives a **** who they think should play.

Yet here you are commenting. And for the record, I do care what people think. Why would I have asked the question if I didn't?

Latest posts