Date for starting QB?

so you have a well-informed and respected writer in Morehouse saying he's hearing that rudock is separating himself from the other 2 and you're arguing it? you just said you have no insider info and trust what sportswriters say...so whats the problem?

Sighs......................good grief. Where to start with this? 1) Ok, it should be evident to you and everyone here that I got no inside info. Having said that, yes, I do go by what sports writers, other fans and folks here say about the situation. 2) How can I argue with that? That's easy. Could give you many examples of why I'd argue with what the coaches decide. How about last year's offense? I would think that would be sufficient enough reason to argue with them.

So let me get this straight. If Rudock is clearly outperforming the other two QB's in practice, in front of the entire team, then in your opinion Ferentz should still go with Sokol simply because he has a little bit more of an ability to run? Is this really what you're saying?

I would guess the first game starting QB will be named this weekend. But I would also speculate that he may not be the starter for the year. If there is not a clear favorite, expect the runner up to get snaps in the first few games. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if all three saw action this fall.
Game time performance will probably be the deciding factor.

I don't know, Denis. Ferentz has a history of playing ONE QB no matter how poorly he is playing. Don't want to hurt the poor guy's psyche by pulling him when things aren't going well. He took way too long to decide on Stanzi and gave Christensen enough rope to hang himself before making the change.

From what I have read on other boards is that Sokol has a little more ground ability than Rudock but he is careless with the ball. Too much gunslinger mentality. Rudock can move on the ground somewhat but he is very cerebral and knows where the ball needs to be. There are rumors swirling that Sokol may be used here and there for some zone read stuff. But it's only rumors.

have you ever been in a thread with hwk23? let me give you a general synopsis of his opinion...you're wrong

I never wrote Rudock wouldn't be starter. Of course, KF would choose Rudock. Rudock never takes a chance, even when the odds are stacked in his favor. You can count on 1 hand the number of times he threw over 10 yards in the two Spring scrimmages. He just doesn't read the defense that well or else he would have been attacking single coverage instead of choosing the check-down all the time.

GD has said many times we must get the ball downfield to force the defense back so I was hoping GD would have more influence but it seems he's a "yes" man. Sokol was the only QB attacking single coverage downfield. He also has the ability to keep his eyes downfield while avoiding the rush, like a Drew Tate. He makes it look easy and that's talent. Rudock is pretty slight and he will get killed in the Big Ten if he tries to run so don't even go there.

I've been hearing that Weisman has been getting reps at QB and may be separating himself from the pack

I never wrote Rudock wouldn't be starter. Of course, KF would choose Rudock. Rudock never takes a chance, even when the odds are stacked in his favor. You can count on 1 hand the number of times he threw over 10 yards in the two Spring scrimmages. He just doesn't read the defense that well or else he would have been attacking single coverage instead of choosing the check-down all the time.

GD has said many times we must get the ball downfield to force the defense back so I was hoping GD would have more influence but it seems he's a "yes" man. Sokol was the only QB attacking single coverage downfield. He also has the ability to keep his eyes downfield while avoiding the rush, like a Drew Tate. He makes it look easy and that's talent. Rudock is pretty slight and he will get killed in the Big Ten if he tries to run so don't even go there.

It's sad that he won't start. Kf is in love with loyalty. JR will start just because he's been in the program the longest. Stupid, but it will happen.

Who ever it is, the posters here know better.

When will he throw his 1st interception? And over under how many days before people scream for a replacement?

hwk23,

GD said that all three can make plays with their feet but you still seem to believe that Sokol is the best. As others pointed out, Sokol is willing to take chances but he is a little more careless with the ball which could result in more turnovers.

You see Sokol and you think hey he could be a dual-threat QB that teams fear, others see Sokol as being a Steele Jantz type player who can win some games but for sure will lose many too.

Until he plays no one knows, not me and not you.

As I have said before clearly you are going to complain if Rudock is the starter, your post above is proof and only the start of it. Also as I stated before if Sokol wins the job I won't be whining and complaining for Rudock but when the tables are flipped, you will be going on and on about how Sokol should have been the starter.

Last edited:
Yeah, and the coaches are so good. So good that the offense was in the bottom 10 of the country.

Yes, last season but until Iowa plays THIS YEAR, you might want to stop saying the same thing over and over again. The offense sucked last season, we all get it but that doesn't mean that Sokol is the answer just because he might be better at making plays with his feet.

Yes, last season but until Iowa plays THIS YEAR, you might want to stop saying the same thing over and over again. The offense sucked last season, we all get it but that doesn't mean that Sokol is the answer just because he might be better at making plays with his feet.
You might be missing my point. My point is why trust the coaches when Iowa has hardly ever been good on offense? Not just last year. Look at all the years they are in the bottom half of all schools in the country in offense. That's the point. The coaches are not to be trusted based on their offensive history.

You might be missing my point. My point is why trust the coaches when Iowa has hardly ever been good on offense? Not just last year. Look at all the years they are in the bottom half of all schools in the country in offense. That's the point. The coaches are not to be trusted based on their offensive history.

Actually, they were pretty good on offense when a gunslinger by the name of Drew Tate was playing QB in 2004 and also in 2002 when an athlete by the name of Banks was playing QB.

Morehouse mentioned something last night either on KXnO that he would not be shocked if Kirk named Jake the starter this weekend when he meets the media for the Kid's Day scrimmage. He said the people he knows on the inside have been saying that Jake is separating himself from the other two.

Morehouse has been saying all year that Rudock will be the starter, even when KF was saying all three were equal. KF said on media day just last week that no one had an advantage yet Rudock has taken almost all the 1st team snaps (according to the photos anyway) since media day. I bet Rudock is the same QB he's always been and the whole "seperation" thing is BS. He was always going to be QB because careful Kirk favors him.

Actually, they were pretty good on offense when a gunslinger by the name of Drew Tate was playing QB in 2004 and also in 2002 when an athlete by the name of Banks was playing QB.

Sokol could play better but to ASSUME he will play like either one of those players is ignorant.

Same style doesn't always equal same skill level.

Morehouse has been saying all year that Rudock will be the starter, even when KF was saying all three were equal. KF said on media day just last week that no one had an advantage yet Rudock has taken almost all the 1st team snaps (according to the photos anyway) since media day. I bet Rudock is the same QB he's always been and the whole "seperation" thing is BS. He was always going to be QB because careful Kirk favors him.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..................................you dare call BS on kf????????????????????????????

I agree, Freed. I do, but to assume that Sokol will for sure make Iowa a better team doesn't make sense. Comparing past players and their styles like hwk23 is doing doesn't guarantee a play off.

When hwk23 sees Sokol he sees Drew Tate/Brad Banks. When I see Sokol I think sure maybe he could but unless he plays we won't know. I am not a gambler, so for me Sokol seems more like Steele Jantz than Drew Tate or Brad Banks.

The whole point is to stop picking a QB and saying they WILL be better for THIS YEARS TEAM based off past players/past seasons and let this season play out.

If Rudock wins the job, let him play, if Sokol plays, let him play. Stop looking back, look forward without having to decide who MIGHT be better, obviously we don't know. KF knows better than both of us, whether or not you want to admit it.

Latest posts