Damn good article from Leisitkow. Please read.

Pulling a player early with 1-2 first half fouls.

Saving time outs.

Helter-Skelter substitutions.

They all look brilliant if you win, if you lose, well, not so much.

When the Fran last 1/3 of the season death spiral sets in, well, "brilliance" is seldom heard.

In your case of moving your foul prone best player away from my player who got him tagged with two early fouls, will my guy then start putting fouls on your next man in, or will my guy now score more easily on your lesser defender?

Valid argument. However, if your player, who's managed to get my player those 2 fouls, picks up his second foul then based on your theory he's automatically going to the bench for the remainder of the half, and I don't have to worry about ways that individual could hurt me as he's a nonfactor the rest of the half. :D

Valid argument. However, if your player, who's managed to get my player those 2 fouls, picks up his second foul then based on your theory he's automatically going to the bench for the remainder of the half, and I don't have to worry about ways that individual could hurt me as he's a nonfactor the rest of the half. :D
What are you talking about? My guy does not even have one foul yet, and is well on his way to a double double, cause your guy cant guard mine. I thought that part was clear, and it is all because of my superior coaching.

What are you talking about? My guy does not even have one foul yet, and is well on his way to a double double, cause your guy cant guard mine. I thought that part was clear, and it is all because of my superior coaching.

Well played. Well played.

That amazes me that a conference would be able to experiment with something like that despite everyone else playing by a different set of rules. Interesting read and no surprise it was done away with.

Yeah, conferences used to be able to experiment within the conference season. Remember when the ACC tried a really short three point line? I believe it was in the early 80s.

3063-three-640x480.jpg

Yeah, conferences used to be able to experiment within the conference season. Remember when the ACC tried a really short three point line? I believe it was in the early 80s.

3063-three-640x480.jpg
The B1G experimented with the standard 19'9" line at the same time, which explains how Bob Hansen and Steve Carfino are listed in 1,000 point club lists as having made several three point shots.

The ACC distance was laughable. Some think it was designed to give Ralph Sampson more space to operate inside.

It was implemented across the board, of course, in 1986-87. Scott Skiles just missed it. He would have hit four or five every game with his range.

3063-three-640x480.jpg

That court looks hilarious. Why not just shorten it to the free throw line. I'm so glad things have changed since then.

What's weird about the comment about taking years to grasp Fran's defenses is we were under the impression that he doesn't even coach defense. Now is seems he coaches it too much. I wonder which one it really is.

It's getting weird. Listening to Morehouse & Dochterman right now. They're mentioning coach of the year if we make the NCAA tourney. Meanwhile, shoe shining Iowa coach statue kneeling Chad Leistikow actually writes a critical article about an Iowa coach.

Edit: well, now Scott says Fran has been the most awkward coach he's experienced in press conferences. I don't think they like Margaret's antics at games.

Last edited:
I would like to see Chad print a retraction of this article, because it was pretty clear to me that we did not need more Bohanan period last night.

Moss isn't a good option at the end of a game, but he is perhaps the best option more of the time.

Cook is a high risk, high talent, mistake prone team member. His highlight reel dunks are entertaining but often he isn't helpful for team success. Fran is in on the NBA tune up season with Cook. You made your bed, sleep in it.

JB struggles to get his shot off against athletic talent. He is a short, shooting guard. He can't cover athletic players. Although he is limited at this stage, CM is a better option for the minutes he is playing.

Fran's substitution patterns are helter-skelter. Similar to his time out usage. I have no idea, perhaps he doesn't either.

Iowa seems to like playing the full court trap defense which burns some clock off for the opponents. Of course, it usually takes an Iowa score or FT attempt to set it up.

Two cents

Moss is a good option throughout the entire game. Cook is a matchup nightmare not a high risk mistake prone guy. Agree with JBo Fran and our full court press tho. Kriener gets bullied most games but has one good game out of every 10 and everyone thinks he’s a hero that needs more minutes would be my other 2 cents! With that said he’s our only backup big and we need him

I don't know Chad or his back ground in basketball, but that's a horrible article and he's wrong in almost everything he wrote. Lol.
1) You can't talk about playing better defense in one sentence and then advocate for more playing time for some of our worst defenders in the next (JBo and Moss). Connor gets more of JBo's minutes because he plays defense better.
2) Maybe. I don't care what defense he chooses to play but pick 1 and work on recruiting for it and perfecting it. Great coaches don't use defensive concepts that "take years to pick up". You only get college players for 4 or 5 years at the most. Why would you try and teach a system so complex, they won't grasp until their 3rd or 4th years?
3) He got this one right.
4) Maybe? I'm not even sure how you approach this as a coach. I want TC playing close to the basket too but we don't have anyone that can beat their man off the dribble and get to the rim. TC might be the best option we have for that situation. And that's the boat that Fran recruited himself into.
5) See #1.

Moss is one of our better defenders in my opinion him and cmac our best defensive guards both have size and quickness to keep up I know a lot of guys on this site put a lot of blame on moss for some reason very undervalued for what he brings

Moss is a good option throughout the entire game. Cook is a matchup nightmare not a high risk mistake prone guy. Agree with JBo Fran and our full court press tho. Kriener gets bullied most games but has one good game out of every 10 and everyone thinks he’s a hero that needs more minutes would be my other 2 cents! With that said he’s our only backup big and we need him
Cook leads the conference in turnovers, can't shoot a jump shot, isn't a good passer, and is extremely anxious at the FT line. If he was a match-up nightmare he would be constantly double teamed, which he isn't. Teams are laying off him when he has a jump shot opportunity. He is more of an Iowa nightmare when he tries to shoot and dribble. Outstanding athlete however, complementary player would make Iowa better.

Chad wrote a negative article? I find that hard to believe.

Chad will occasionally get a bit contrarian, he did call out the coaches for not using fant enough in a DMR column. There is a reason he’s the athletic departments favorite reporter though.

Latest posts