Damn good article from Leisitkow. Please read.

https://amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/2710899002

He really nails some good observations. Can he be our coach?

Love the suttle dig that Connor is getting too many minutes.

Careful Chad. Keep this up and you will get banned from the meat and cheese tray. :D
My world says win NEXT game and go forward.... Next STAFF and Tough Hawk Players work together forward. SUGGESTION? Screen or 2 to Try and get JBO clean look at shot. Spreads court. Hawk Players waay Tough.

Cook leads the conference in turnovers, can't shoot a jump shot, isn't a good passer, and is extremely anxious at the FT line. If he was a match-up nightmare he would be constantly double teamed, which he isn't. Teams are laying off him when he has a jump shot opportunity. He is more of an Iowa nightmare when he tries to shoot and dribble. Outstanding athlete however, complementary player would make Iowa better.

Yeah...I'm going to call bullshit on a bunch of this. Cook is trying to play a different role...and trying to add to his game this year. His handle has improved in a big way...however, you have to be a playmaker in the games...and unfortunately, he's learning to be a playmaker as a power forward in the toughest league in the country. I'm not going to fault him for thinking he can make things happen...and hopefully the turnovers will dissipate as the season progresses and he is more selective of when he goes. Your other point, his jump shot...that's the piece that, frankly, I'm surprised isn't better at this point. He NEEDS that 15-17 foot jumper to be good so people can't sag...because if he hits that shot...you can't guard him.

Call him a complimentary player is ridiculous. His defense and rebounding are light years ahead of last year which has been a huge difference. Teams haven't been doubling him down low, because Tyler is a good passer and he finds the guy who is open for the three. Doubling him to give open looks against Iowa is a usually a losing proposition. The other are is the fact that his dribble drive game has been outstanding. He either scores or gets fouled probably 70% of the time. He was also shooting over 70% from the free throw line prior to the last few games where he has struggled.

Tyler Cook is leading the team in scoring and rebounding, he's third in assists behind the two point guards that play. Calling him a complimentary player is ridiculous. He needs to cut down on the turnovers...and take a few more open shots from the perimeter to gain confidence. He's a star on this team and brings a physicality that is essential in the Big 10.

I think he would be better for the "team" to be more of a complementary player, with few touches going through him.

I didn't call him a "complimentary" player, which is a different word, BTW.

Talented, complementary, team players are worth their weight in gold and they are stars.

More Wieskamp, Garza, less Cook, would be a better recipe. They are better passers and shooters and seem to know spacing much better than Cook, who is without a doubt the best athlete on the team.

Wieskamp has been under utilized, by his own choice and perhaps by the players and coaches. More of him.

My world says win NEXT game and go forward.... Next STAFF and Tough Hawk Players work together forward. SUGGESTION? Screen or 2 to Try and get JBO clean look at shot. Spreads court. Hawk Players waay Tough.

I am with you Earl. Set a few more screens to get those shooters open.

What time did your Super Bowl LIII party start?
You must be rooting for the Rams.

The complaint I was replying to was that after their first foul, they played tentatively for fear of going to the bench if they picked up a second. I would still rather have them available late in the second half when the game is decided. Of course, that may change if things go so badly with them on the bench in the first. You have to keep the game within reach.
That's what I was thinking. Fran doesn't sit them down after two fouls for the sake of having two fouls. It has to do with saving them for the critical part of the game, the ending. He needs those guy for the last part of the game. You can't play hard when you have 3 or 4 fouls. I think Fran knows what he's doing.

Latest posts