Damn good article from Leisitkow. Please read.

This really jumped out at me:

"So, this isn’t to say Iowa’s zone is great. It’s not. But McCaffery has even explained that it takes his players years to learn all the defensive concepts he deploys."

Years? Our players are only here four years. They don't have "years" to learn this. Is it too complex?

Edit: You guys beat me to it.

I don't like the 2 fouls and you're on the bench rule. What is the rationale for it - that he just doesn't want any player to pick up a third foul, so as to save him for the second half or that he's concerned that a player with 2 fouls will play soft so as to not pick up his third foul?

If it's the latter, then I do agree that once a player picks up his first foul, he could play less assertively because he doesn't want a second foul which means a trip to the bench, essentially rendering him to not be as effective as he should be because he's gone into self-preservation mode. Which, if true, in essence should put the player on the bench after the first foul.

I think he needs to count on his players that they'll play smart enough (and still play hard enough) to not pick up a third foul, but if it happens, then so be it, put him on the bench at that point for the rest of the half*. I think it would end up being a net positive, unless there is some data out there to support that the chances of winning are better with the 2 fouls and you're on the bench rule.

*some exceptions make sense - pulling a player with 2 fouls with a minute or so left in the half in certain games.

Last edited:

"So, this isn’t to say Iowa’s zone is great. It’s not. But McCaffery has even explained that it takes his players years to learn all the defensive concepts he deploys."

Years? Our players are only here four years. They don't have "years" to learn this. Is it too complex?

Agree. This isn't something I would be emphasizing if I was Fran. It's more of an indictment on his coaching than an excuse for their poor defense.

Fran even mentions this in the teaser/trailer for his "Championship Defense" instructional video. Seriously.

This reminds me of the talking point that IOWA's football offense is hard for guys to learn, yet it's so easy for opponents to prepare for. WTF? If both of those statements are true, you're doing something wrong. Much like Fran saying it takes years to teach his defense. That should be a clue, Fran.

The complaint i was replying to was that after their first foul, they played tentativly for fear of going to the bench if they picked up a second. I would still rather have them available late in the second half when the game is decided. Of course, that may change if things go so badly with them on the bench in the first. You have to keep the game within reach.

Moss isn’t the answer in late shot clock situations. His step back jumpers and when he does take shots off the bounce are typically coming off a screen with the defender trailing. He’s good at taking advantage of that but he’s still not squaring a guy up and taking him off the dribble or able to take a couple hard drives for a pull up. But we really don’t have a good option.

I think he is the best option though. Him or weiskamp. Moss has better handles but not as good at finishing. Weikamp can shoot over almost anyone and sometimes get an advantage driving. Didnt uthoff like to do a fade away when backing down defender? Think he is capable of developing that this off season.

I think he is the best option though. Him or weiskamp. Moss has better handles but not as good at finishing. Weikamp can shoot over almost anyone and sometimes get an advantage driving. Didnt uthoff like to do a fade away when backing down defender? Think he is capable of developing that this off season.

He's got the shooting stroke and the step back already. He's a decent finisher in transition as well. It's his handles that he needs to improve.

You may be right that he still might be our best option but that points more to not having a good option probably more than him being a good option.

The minutes being played by JBo are just fine. JBo is at 29 minutes a game in conference play. Connor at 19 per game in conference play. Don't make something out of nothing that is there. Minutes are right where I would like to see them. Connor is better defensively.

I agree with the Moss statement. He is our best option if the ball isn't in the post to get a late shot. He can hit a pull up jumper off the dribble on his own. 23 minutes a game in league play. His defensive lapses have been less than in the past. Get him more minutes. Leads the league in 3 point percentage and can get his shots easier than most on our team. Weiskamp is 5th in league play for 3 point percentage.

Below is link with league stats.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tatistics/player/_/id/7/stat/scoring-per-game

Fran even mentions this in the teaser/trailer for his "Championship Defense" instructional video. Seriously.
This took my last 1% of faith in Fran I had.
It’s basketball. Not rocket surgery. If a player can’t learn the concepts in less than a year then they never will.

I find it hard to believe the defense I have seen for 9 years is too hard to understand. It’s 100% a teaching problem.

I seriously thought this "Championship Defense" video was a joke or dig at Fran but apparently not.

Wow, just mind-bending. So how many videos has the defensive coach they brought in this summer to coach em up made? He from Philly too? Have we paid him yet?

Chad wrote a negative article? I find that hard to believe.

618x346.png

Hey Chad,

There is a reason #5 isn't happening. When Jobo can't get a shot off an entire game against more athletic bigger guards, and he's not exactly Kevin Boyle on the defensive end...well...I'm not sure how you play him more minutes. Connor at least is physical and can stop some people, and he'll rebound. Unfortunately, Minnesota hit shots they haven't been hitting consistently all year. They are a lousy three point shooting team...but you would not have known that Sunday. Certainly, there were open threes, but there were also several shots that were contested that went down.

I loved the comment that Fran's defensive comments take years to learn. He should be fired immediately if that actually came out of his mouth. Let me tell you...any "defensive concept" that puts Jordan Bohannon on the baseline guarding the back of the zone should be given a proper funeral and be gone forever.

A motion-oriented offense and ball movement could actually help Bo and Joe get open a bit more.....

Last edited:
Jumped out at me too. Good defense is hard enough without complicating things. You don't want your players thinking too much on the defensive end. Give them sound principles and let them react to what the offense is doing.
I thought the line about the coach fouling out more of his players than the officials...was a great comment. And it's absolutely true.

Playing defense should be instinctive and natural

Team defense needs to be taught and learned. Again team D should be instinctive and natural

When the opponent has a man racing downcourt, after and interception or steal, you don't need 2/3 players attempting to cover him while leaving another player on the other side of the court wide open to receive an open pass for a highlight dunk

I respect the message. I'm sure he went in to half time and told them to play better defense or they'll sit down. He probably had no choice.

And I'm certain when he "told them to play better defense or they'll sit down" he did it at high volume and with high intensity. It's like Bear Bryant said "Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships." Until the entire team is sold on defense and puts more effort into defense for all 40 minutes, we will continue to play as we have.

I still agree with sitting a player after 2 in the first half. I would rather a player be a little more tentative in the first half than have them unavailable for the rest of the game when they foul out early in the second half.

I would temper this. Two fouls in the first half shouldn't be a banishment to the bench.... unless after picking up the second foul all defensive intensity stops as well. Standing straight up with your hands in the air is not defense and should not be tolerated, ever.

What if our zone is actually well drawn up and other programs have simply got a hold of Fran's DVD and figured out how to neutralize it...

Moss isn’t the answer in late shot clock situations. His step back jumpers and when he does take shots off the bounce are typically coming off a screen with the defender trailing. He’s good at taking advantage of that but he’s still not squaring a guy up and taking him off the dribble or able to take a couple hard drives for a pull up. But we really don’t have a good option.

we don't have anyone on the roster that can succeed in end of clock situations, unless you give cook the ball on the low block with 5 seconds. otherwise, we don't have a guy who can win off the dribble and that is what solves end of clock situations. in my opinion.

Hey Chad,

There is a reason #5 isn't happening. When Jobo can't get a shot off an entire game against more athletic bigger guards, and he's not exactly Kevin Boyle on the defensive end...well...I'm not sure how you play him more minutes. Connor at least is physical and can stop some people, and he'll rebound. Unfortunately, Minnesota hit shots they haven't been hitting consistently all year. They are a lousy three point shooting team...but you would not have known that Sunday. Certainly, there were open threes, but there were also several shots that were contested that went down.

I loved the comment that Fran's defensive comments take years to learn. He should be fired immediately if that actually came out of his mouth. Let me tell you...any "defensive concept" that puts Jordan Bohannon on the baseline guarding the back of the zone should be given a proper funeral and be gone forever.
In addition to the outside shooting their entire front line was schooling us around the basket. Murphy, Coffey, Curry, Stockman. All getting looks they probably aren't used to getting.

The announcer compared Coffey's move, where he went behind the backboard and finger rolled it in from the other side, to Dr. J. He wasn't too far off.

Latest posts