Dale Jones

Close your eyes and envision Denny Crum and the Louisville Cardinals of the 70's to 90s, and then open your eyes and see Fran McCaffery
and the Iowa Hawkeyes.

12 players ranging fro 6' 4" to 6' 9" that can shoot, run the court and play transition basketball with a big man mixed in sometimes if he has the
ability to keep up with the fast paced game Fran wants to coach.

This is the future of Hawkeye basketball under Fran McCaffery.

Having played for Wooden & being an assistant coach under him, Crum's Louisville teams were very much like Wooden's first two championship teams. Wooden's first two teams pressed, ran the court & played transition basketball without a true big man. Those two teams didn't have anyone over 6'5". In the first championship, Duke went 6'10", 6'10" & 6'7" across the front. However, UCLA blew them out. Kenny Washington, a 6'3" forward, came off the bench to score twenty-seven points.

We return 4 out of 5 starters. And 5 of our top 7 players. That does not make a rebuilding year... If it is considered a rebuilding year under the Fran era, I will take it!!

The only thing that will keep us down next year is the B1G being a bad conference.

Now when is Dale signing...? I hate waiting!

Yeah, you really couldn't ask for a much better situation in a lot of ways. You have a lot of intriguing diaper-dandies coming in next season who can get their feet wet without being asked to do too much, then you take the training wheels off them in '16/'17 and let them roll.

Plus Dale Jones wouldn't hurt.

Can I interrupt this Iowa rebuilding/not rebuilding thread to ask is there any new news on whether or not Dale Jones is coming to Iowa?

Can I interrupt this Iowa rebuilding/not rebuilding thread to ask is there any new news on whether or not Dale Jones is coming to Iowa?
He'll sign today day or tomorrow at about 2:42pm in a room with 3 windows and an oak desk. He'll use a bic pen to sign.
Relax.

Was really hoping Fran would land an IMMEDIATE IMPACT 5th year transfer instead. The last JUCO Iowa got was a complete bust. He was even a JUCO AA and #1 ranked PG. Iowa's class is near the bottom of the Big Ten. No impact guys. The depth of experience on this team is not good. At least they won't be the whitest team on the court though.

Was really hoping Fran would land an IMMEDIATE IMPACT 5th year transfer instead. The last JUCO Iowa got was a complete bust. He was even a JUCO AA and #1 ranked PG. Iowa's class is near the bottom of the Big Ten. No impact guys. The depth of experience on this team is not good. At least they won't be the whitest team on the court though.

Are you the same IowaHawkGuy on twitter that spews negatives all the time and predicted iowa to have 15 wins this season? If not, you two could be best buds. This class is going to be a good one. Iowa's current roster has plenty of ability and adding 6 guys in one class is exciting. This class has shooters and athletes. Sorry for disappointing you.

This is a solid recruiting class. The addition of Jones makes it even that much better. I don't understand what you are complaining about.:confused::confused:

Are you the same IowaHawkGuy on twitter that spews negatives all the time and predicted iowa to have 15 wins this season? If not, you two could be best buds. This class is going to be a good one. Iowa's current roster has plenty of ability and adding 6 guys in one class is exciting. This class has shooters and athletes. Sorry for disappointing you.

So just because my opinion is based on the talent they have and what analysts have said and recruiting sites rank them, I'm negative for thinking they won't go 40-0? My opinion is based on what I've read and heard from Miller, Doc, and others on Iowa and looking at what the other teams across the Big Ten bring in (better talent) and return (Iowa does have 4 starters). This class LOOKS athletic but does that mean they are game changers? This class is ranked at bottom of Big Ten for some reason. It's going to have to be a "prove it" class. I don't question they guys Iowa has returning. I've been a big defender of Woodbury while others absolutely hammer him. He is who I expected him to be - defensive difference maker and not an offensive juggernaut.
I'm going off what I've read and heard on this class. I have not seen them play. Some fans act like this class is amongst the best in the Big Ten. I certainly hope it is. Many believed Dickerson would be All Big Ten this year too.

What makes you think Jones won't make an "immediate impact"? He's there physically and has a very similar game to White with a better percentage from 3. That doesn't mean he'll just slide in and replace him but I'd have to think he'll have an impact on a roster that needs size. As far as Dickerson, just because he didn't immediately take the starting job from Gessell and Clemmons doesn't mean that every juco Iowa gets is now going to be a bust. I remember Bryce Cartwright being pretty decent. Bottom line is the team had a need and this guy seems to fill it.

I'm guessing you were banging your head off the keyboard in frustration when you read Fran was bringing in a 3 star nobody with no D1 offers from Ohio and some 3 star project kid from Britain who used to play soccer. Both of which outplayed Fran's highest rated recruit that had a offer from North Carolina.

So just because my opinion is based on the talent they have and what analysts have said and recruiting sites rank them, I'm negative for thinking they won't go 40-0? My opinion is based on what I've read and heard from Miller, Doc, and others on Iowa and looking at what the other teams across the Big Ten bring in (better talent) and return (Iowa does have 4 starters). This class LOOKS athletic but does that mean they are game changers? This class is ranked at bottom of Big Ten for some reason. It's going to have to be a "prove it" class. I don't question they guys Iowa has returning. I've been a big defender of Woodbury while others absolutely hammer him. He is who I expected him to be - defensive difference maker and not an offensive juggernaut.
I'm going off what I've read and heard on this class. I have not seen them play. Some fans act like this class is amongst the best in the Big Ten. I certainly hope it is. Many believed Dickerson would be All Big Ten this year too.

There isn't anyone expecting the freshmen coming in to start. The definitely have great potential. If one of them does start that would be great, but they definitely have the potential to bring attributes lacking from past teams their freshmen year. Woodbury showed flashes last year, and he should be better this year. There aren't many if any teams in the conference that wouldn't want Woodbury on their team next year. I doubt Jones will be as good as White was close to the basket, but he should be a better shooter and he might be a better defensive player. I doubt he will be a better dunker.

Here's some great IowaHawkGuy predictions from this past season:

1) Wisconsin
2) MSU
3) OSU
4) Maryland
5) Michigan
6) Illinois
7) Minnesota
8) Indiana
9) Nebraska
These last 5 don't make tourney:

Rutgers win and Huskers win. 2-0 start for the B1G.

Seeing where Nebraska already is in only Miles' 3rd year is so frustrating as an Iowa fan. They are solid and have 2 dynamic playmakers. Would...

This is obviously a rebuilding year for Iowa. Rebuilding from what I'm not sure (do you rebuild from losing 1 player?) but that's the excuse I'm using. I'd take an NIT bid at this point.

Watching these games, I'm beginning to think Iowa, Rutgers, PSU, and Northwestern are the 4 worst teams in the conference. Yet, the conference is so deep that 10 teams could sneak in the tourney.

The guy is clearly an ISU troll.

Dude shoots 45% from 3 and 85% from the line. PTL can't get here fast enough.

Those are extremely impressive numbers. Especially for a guy that is 6'8" and can move with the ball. Dale Jones will have the chance to earn a lot of minutes from day one.

These stats are coming off a player in his 3rd year in college. Not from his high school numbers, where one may have to worry about the significantly improved defensive play knocking down the numbers. Nor the high school to college mental breakdown that some players unfortunately have.

Mr Jones is a seasoned player already. With this kind of shooting he will open up the floor for the Hawkeyes. Something that has been missing from Fran's teams every year so far. Add this to the 3 other perimeter players we have coming in(including Ellingson), and we will have some very good outside play to open up the interior. #stoked!

PTL will be very interesting this summer. Uthoff vs Jones & Uhl vs Jones will be quite entertaining I would imagine.

Latest posts